Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

#TakeBackTheCity - housing protests across Ireland tomorrow - North and South

Recommended Posts

PS. Am told Belfast protest starts 11.30am! Not 1pm - now. 

A major response the incident in Dublin last week - good to see prominent business people supporting this too - especially in tech world! 

DnniHJLXoAIwgxO.jpg

Edited by gruffydd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a protest against the housing crisis in all its aspects - the landlordism, the vulture funds, housing costs, the lack of social housing, and so on. There were large and angry protests in Dublin a few days ago - 200 protestors apparently - yeah, right :-I 

 

Edited by gruffydd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and when one of Ireland's tech leaders' organisations showed his support, a gov rep phoned him up asking if it was a "piss take" - it wasn't. Check out Paddy Cosgrave on Twitter! 

Edited by gruffydd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.jpg

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/masked-men-secure-dublin-property-after-housing-activists-removed-1.3626087

Raised awareness too of the disparity in evictions between renters and buyers in the previous bubble who can be years behind on mortgage payments and still not evicted. All to save the original creditors, but dressed up as social responsibility. The mask is slipping again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely spot on! Let's see some action, I'm a member of a renters union in Bristol and am very happy to hear about organised action. Organisation and effort is key- go for it guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Irish have the right to be aggrieved on several fronts, however at least there was a lot of building in Ireland pre 2008, and in most part of the country (excepting Dublin) house prices are fairly low in terms of multiples of income (at least compared with Southern England).

Northern Ireland probably has the best affordability of any UK region, you can check out www.propertynews.com which is the NI equivalent of Zoopla / Onthemarket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this was cool until I saw a protest video.

They were shouting "no justice, no peace" like a bunch of infantile 'Socialist W***er' placard waving students, and it unleashed an inner desire to don a riot shield and baton charge them.

Edited by disenfranchised

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, darkmarket said:

image.jpg

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/masked-men-secure-dublin-property-after-housing-activists-removed-1.3626087

Raised awareness too of the disparity in evictions between renters and buyers in the previous bubble who can be years behind on mortgage payments and still not evicted. All to save the original creditors, but dressed up as social responsibility. The mask is slipping again.

Looks like the Ukraine, a bit too fat to be Putins boys, apart from the street signs i would say kiev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kirstieb said:

Absolutely spot on! Let's see some action, I'm a member of a renters union in Bristol and am very happy to hear about organised action. Organisation and effort is key- go for it guys!

This kind of movement could easily spread - #TakeBackTheCity very much about renters... all facets of housing crisis/planning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, disenfranchised said:

I thought this was cool until I saw a protest video.

They were shouting "no justice, no peace" like a bunch of infantile 'Socialist W***er' placard waving students, and it unleashed an inner desire to don a riot shield and baton charge them.

the interesting thing is there were people there who bucked the trend - whole offices of workers upped and went on the street - no real planning of that protest - just lots of angry young people under housing pressure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ballyk said:

The Irish have the right to be aggrieved on several fronts, however at least there was a lot of building in Ireland pre 2008, and in most part of the country (excepting Dublin) house prices are fairly low in terms of multiples of income (at least compared with Southern England).

Northern Ireland probably has the best affordability of any UK region, you can check out www.propertynews.com which is the NI equivalent of Zoopla / Onthemarket.

Still major rental probs in Belfast - and planning issues - see what happened in The Markets - a big protest to prevent a hotel being built - and they won out - and they have the lowest wages in the UK which doesn't help. When I lived in Belfast it was £50 per week for a terraced house - mid 90s - now at least 10 times that in specific location. 

A very sensitive issue there - housing allocation (social housing) in Caledon sparked The Troubles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/09/2018 at 22:59, Ballyk said:

The Irish have the right to be aggrieved on several fronts, however at least there was a lot of building in Ireland pre 2008, and in most part of the country (excepting Dublin) house prices are fairly low in terms of multiples of income (at least compared with Southern England).

Northern Ireland probably has the best affordability of any UK region, you can check out www.propertynews.com which is the NI equivalent of Zoopla / Onthemarket.

But Dublin is where all the jobs are.

Have a go at finding yourself a place to rent in Dublin city/suburbs.  It's far more expensive than London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gruffydd said:

Then some English tourists turned up... as did a pigeon's head. https://lovin.ie/news/pigeon-head-dublin-protest

The British tourist. Diversifying from the normal reputation of getting blind drunk in magaluf et al. and being a loud pain in the a**, to insulting protestors of foreign countries where they are guests.

Perhaps they should go to Greece and do the same with their protestors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/09/2018 at 07:29, disenfranchised said:

They were shouting "no justice, no peace" like a bunch of infantile 'Socialist W***er' placard waving students, and it unleashed an inner desire to don a riot shield and baton charge them.

Agree just a bunch of t+++++S 

they are all millennials students the "entitled generation"

the millennials love a protest it make them think they are important and special

it is only they who can protest most of us are working

problem is when these morons say this childish rubbish they alienate normal people and distract from the message which is valid

as for no peace look at them - they are all skinny weedy things who have done nothing in the lives other than read few books at uni and done a worthless degree which has no workplace value 

before they start shouting "no peace they need to get the the gym and bulk up a bit 

On 22/09/2018 at 13:10, gruffydd said:

he interesting thing is there were people there who bucked the trend - whole offices of workers upped and went on the street - no real planning of that protest - just lots of angry young people under housing pressure. 

if they worked in my company they would have been fired at once

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, happyguy said:

Agree just a bunch of t+++++S 

they are all millennials students the "entitled generation"

the millennials love a protest it make them think they are important and special

it is only they who can protest most of us are working

problem is when these morons say this childish rubbish they alienate normal people and distract from the message which is valid

as for no peace look at them - they are all skinny weedy things who have done nothing in the lives other than read few books at uni and done a worthless degree which has no workplace value 

before they start shouting "no peace they need to get the the gym and bulk up a bit 

if they worked in my company they would have been fired at once

when I was a student in the 1990s we protested also.. when I say we, the students union organised a protest on fees but i went to the pub

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

when I was a student in the 1990s we protested also.. when I say we, the students union organised a protest on fees but i went to the pub

Same here my friend - we both had better things to do than wave a little placard ! Personally I would get a fire hose on them LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, happyguy said:

as for no peace look at them - they are all skinny weedy things who have done nothing in the lives other than read few books at uni and done a worthless degree which has no workplace value  

before they start shouting "no peace they need to get the the gym and bulk up a bit

Apparently the protests are over housing rather than work but thanks for your contribution to this thread.

PS: Going to the gym and bulking up a bit is a total waste of time in the terms of this thread as well as in terms most forms of paid work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/09/2018 at 13:29, happyguy said:

Agree just a bunch of t+++++S 

they are all millennials students the "entitled generation"

the millennials love a protest it make them think they are important and special

it is only they who can protest most of us are working

problem is when these morons say this childish rubbish they alienate normal people and distract from the message which is valid

as for no peace look at them - they are all skinny weedy things who have done nothing in the lives other than read few books at uni and done a worthless degree which has no workplace value 

before they start shouting "no peace they need to get the the gym and bulk up a bit 

if they worked in my company they would have been fired at once

What on earth are you on about - it was Saturday! Most people don't work on Sunday. As for the message... Ireland is doing brilliant work on all of this. See this letter: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/housing-crisis-requires-radical-solutions-1.3641167

Can you imagine similar happening in the UK? No. Hyacinth Bucketitus. 

As for the skinny comment... I'll just put on that "So Macho" song and start doing a dance! Dublin being what it is, many of the people there were IT workers...

Edited by gruffydd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, gruffydd said:

As for the skinny comment... I'll just put on that "So Macho" song and start doing a dance! Dublin being what it is, many of the people there were IT workers.

So geeks then whose idea of sport is to play world of warcraft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/09/2018 at 17:44, Arpeggio said:

S: Going to the gym and bulking up a bit is a total waste of time in the terms of this thread as well as in terms most forms of paid work.

Nothing wrong with keeping fit I do the gym to help with my sport

As for not working I have found that having money is helpful in terms of finding a nice place to live, going away with the other half for a weekend, having a few beers with mates in the local pub, paying into my pension, supporting myself and my family, not being reliant on benefits or other people.

You say MOST forms of work are not worthwhile so which ones are?

What do you do yourself then may I ask.

All the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/09/2018 at 22:20, kirstieb said:

Absolutely spot on! Let's see some action, I'm a member of a renters union in Bristol and am very happy to hear about organised action. Organisation and effort is key- go for it guys!

the problem is these things tend to be hyjacked by left wing political organisations. im a sensible type of person, i dont want communisim or some liberal nightmare utopia. i just want fairness in society and looking out for the people here over the ones that come. i dont want a big state control over everything and i want to give the best a chance to shine. so here is my proposals away from the lefties. 

 

1. ban foriegn ownership of all residential property as new zealand just did.

2. have each council area sell off land with planning without the uplift they themselves created by giving it planning, this land belongs to the people anyhow not to feather the council workers nest. 

3. build 1 million tower block homes in london. pack them in and give these homes for low cost rent to everyone on the housing lists, these are a persons starting point. the place that will take them out of landlords clutches. there job is now to succeed to get out of these tower blocks. but this will at least give them a chance to do that unlike now. 

these will give people a fair chance to succeed without crushing them under rentierism. it also allows people to better themselves.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 146 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.