House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longgone

why ?

Because there are enough people prepared to pay such a stupid price for a phone with an apple logo.

The profit margin on those things is obscene, which is why Apple has accumulated record high cash reserves of almost 300 billion.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/01/apple-earnings-q1-2018-how-much-money-does-apple-have.html

Capitalism at its best. ;)

On 17/09/2018 at 22:50, longgone said:

My sentiments entirely. 

I only recently, because I HAD to, replaced my absolutely ancient (and much tinier) mobile phone to a bottom of the range cheap chinese phone. I will admit though that now having a (pretty decent) camera also is a nice touch and will for sure occasionally be useful (I haven't felt the need to take a single selfie yet!) but otherwise.....I don't have any apps installed, have no idea what games there are on it, etc.

It was actually fun holding on to my old phone for as long as I did.  People would look at the near museum piece and ask what games does it have? Where is the camera? etc.  When telling them it didn't have any of those things they would often ask bemused "what does it do?". My response "It makes/receives phone calls!".

This was often followed, in yet another attempt to persuade me of the need for something more modern, with

"Well, how many contacts does it store?". 

To which I would reply (not actually knowing for sure),

"All that I need. It goes up to about 100 or so I think".

"Only one hundred!?  Even my low spec one can store X zillion contacts yadda yadda yadda...."

"Do you actually KNOW that many people!??? and NEED to know their contact details?!"

13 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

You think that's annoying, try facing the confusion people have when you tell them you have no need or desire for a mobile phone at all.

Oh indeed.  I still leave home on more than a few occassions without a mobile phone and that really gets people bewildered and irks them (starting with immediate family!).

1 hour ago, anonguest said:

My sentiments entirely. 

I only recently, because I HAD to, replaced my absolutely ancient (and much tinier) mobile phone to a bottom of the range cheap chinese phone. I will admit though that now having a (pretty decent) camera also is a nice touch and will for sure occasionally be useful (I haven't felt the need to take a single selfie yet!) but otherwise.....I don't have any apps installed, have no idea what games there are on it, etc.

It was actually fun holding on to my old phone for as long as I did.  People would look at the near museum piece and ask what games does it have? Where is the camera? etc.  When telling them it didn't have any of those things they would often ask bemused "what does it do?". My response "It makes/receives phone calls!".

This was often followed, in yet another attempt to persuade me of the need for something more modern, with

"Well, how many contacts does it store?". 

To which I would reply (not actually knowing for sure),

"All that I need. It goes up to about 100 or so I think".

"Only one hundred!?  Even my low spec one can store X zillion contacts yadda yadda yadda...."

"Do you actually KNOW that many people!??? and NEED to know their contact details?!"

It was not a features comparison post. more along the lines of why are the public paying £1500 for a phone ???  

i get the marketing dept have their supply of die hard apple fans but 1.5k for a phone ?  will it be 5k by 2025. 

i understand less as i get older. 

5 hours ago, longgone said:

It was not a features comparison post. more along the lines of why are the public paying £1500 for a phone ???  

i get the marketing dept have their supply of die hard apple fans but 1.5k for a phone ?  will it be 5k by 2025. 

i understand less as i get older. 

Well I was also addressing the ludicrous cost apsect too, in a way - as I did allude to how a cheapo bottom of the range phone does all the practical telephony the average bod really needs to do. 

But , again, I agree with the gist of your post. There is something odd that I can't quite put my finger on either that drives people to spend these amounts - on a telephone!

1 hour ago, anonguest said:

There is something odd that I can't quite put my finger on either that drives people to spend these amounts - on a telephone!

It's not a telephone, it's a powerful minaturized micro-computer that also makes phone calls.

Still not worth £1,500 IMO, but I don't live in that world so what do I know?

On 17/09/2018 at 22:50, longgone said:

Dunno.

Why do people pay 70 quid for a bottle of bollinger when they could drink sparkling wine at 5 quid a pop ? Or buy Audis when they could get a Darcia ?

Even worse, I heard someone somewhere paid millions of quid for a bit of paper with paint sprinkled on it.

People like different stuff and are willing to pay different amounts for it. If you don't understand this - then yes, you are stupid.

As an aside - I would rate my smartphone as one of the cheapest purchases if you divide cost by time used. It would have to go up to a pretty silly price to equal my TV, trainers for running or car.

On 21/09/2018 at 14:04, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Dunno.

Why do people pay 70 quid for a bottle of bollinger when they could drink sparkling wine at 5 quid a pop ? Or buy Audis when they could get a Darcia ?

Even worse, I heard someone somewhere paid millions of quid for a bit of paper with paint sprinkled on it.

People like different stuff and are willing to pay different amounts for it. If you don't understand this - then yes, you are stupid.

As an aside - I would rate my smartphone as one of the cheapest purchases if you divide cost by time used. It would have to go up to a pretty silly price to equal my TV, trainers for running or car.

do they pay £40 a month over 3 years and live in a council house to buy "different things" 

you are missing the point. 

On 21/09/2018 at 14:04, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Dunno.

My 'smart' phone cost £35 about five years ago PAYG.....never used the smart bit, only ever call or text.....am I missing out on something?.....perhaps not smart enough.;)

6 hours ago, longgone said:

do they pay £40 a month over 3 years and live in a council house to buy "different things"

A bit 'council house-ist' mate.

;)

I had a salesperson from Vodafone call me up a fortnight ago as my 2 year contract is nearly at an end. I think she wanted me to upgrade my Samsung J3 smartphone but I told her I was happy with it as it is. She offered to put me on a Sim Only plan at a nice cheap rate. I was quite happy with that.

Before the Samsung I had a Nokia 108: small black push button phone. Still have it, in fact.

2 hours ago, winkie said:

My 'smart' phone cost £35 about five years ago PAYG.....never used the smart bit, only ever call or text.....am I missing out on something?.....perhaps not smart enough.;)

There's a lot of stuff you can do with smartphones. Is any of it essential to survival in modern society ? Probably not. But you can say that about a lot of things like fridges for example.

They are for some people remarkably useful pieces of kit that can help make life a lot easier, especially if you spend a lot of time on the move. Like any piece of tech they are not going to appeal to everyone equally. That means they aren't universally good and useful to everyone, but also that they are not universally bad and unnecessary pieces of junk either.

I don't think I use mine to anywhere near its full potential. It's still a useful bit of kit though.

9 hours ago, winkie said:

triple the £35 budget to £115 and you have a very capable piece of kit that does the same things as these 1500 quid chav phones.

To be honest even £35 will get you most of the functions of these ridiculous priced  things just without the half eaten fruit on the back. 🤣.

13 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

There's a lot of stuff you can do with smartphones. Is any of it essential to survival in modern society ? Probably not. But you can say that about a lot of things like fridges for example.

They are for some people remarkably useful pieces of kit that can help make life a lot easier, especially if you spend a lot of time on the move. Like any piece of tech they are not going to appeal to everyone equally. That means they aren't universally good and useful to everyone, but also that they are not universally bad and unnecessary pieces of junk either.

I don't think I use mine to anywhere near its full potential. It's still a useful bit of kit though.

I am sure you can do lots of things but imo nothing that will enhance my life to a y great extent, I would rather talk to someone on the phone, I make a point not to use social media not because I am unsociable, but I can see how society has rapidly changed and not always in a beneficial way.....sometimes too much unimportant information is not a good thing, a piece of kit kinda controlling...people looking down into their phones all the time, self,self,self......the sadest thing I saw was whilst sitting on a bus a young two year old child was trying to interact with its mother and all she was doing was starring into their phone, the child was totally ignored......we are brewing up problems for the future if not careful....

6 hours ago, longgone said:

triple the £35 budget to £115 and you have a very capable piece of kit that does the same things as these 1500 quid chav phones.

To be honest even £35 will get you most of the functions of these ridiculous priced  things just without the half eaten fruit on the back. 🤣.

Thing is when I don't really want one it doesn't matter what the price is......If I need I can use someone else's which I often do......quite happy to go out without a phone, in an emergency would not hesitate to ask a kind looking face to quickly borrow theirs......never been in that situation thankfully, everyone I know knows if they need to contact me they will have to text knowing they might not get an reply instantly.😉

On 25/09/2018 at 09:03, winkie said:

I am sure you can do lots of things but imo nothing that will enhance my life to a y great extent, I would rather talk to someone on the phone, I make a point not to use social media not because I am unsociable, but I can see how society has rapidly changed and not always in a beneficial way.....sometimes too much unimportant information is not a good thing, a piece of kit kinda controlling...people looking down into their phones all the time, self,self,self......the sadest thing I saw was whilst sitting on a bus a young two year old child was trying to interact with its mother and all she was doing was starring into their phone, the child was totally ignored......we are brewing up problems for the future if not careful....

Thing is when I don't really want one it doesn't matter what the price is......If I need I can use someone else's which I often do......quite happy to go out without a phone, in an emergency would not hesitate to ask a kind looking face to quickly borrow theirs......never been in that situation thankfully, everyone I know knows if they need to contact me they will have to text knowing they might not get an reply instantly.😉

well i like access to ebay bank accounts and android auto so i need the device 

21 hours ago, longgone said:

well i like access to ebay bank accounts and android auto so i need the device 

Fair enough.......but there are other devices that do exactly the same thing..... thankfully.😉

On 24/09/2018 at 17:41, MattW said:

A bit 'council house-ist' mate.

;)

I had a salesperson from Vodafone call me up a fortnight ago as my 2 year contract is nearly at an end. I think she wanted me to upgrade my Samsung J3 smartphone but I told her I was happy with it as it is. She offered to put me on a Sim Only plan at a nice cheap rate. I was quite happy with that.

Before the Samsung I had a Nokia 108: small black push button phone. Still have it, in fact.

As a good House Price Crasher you should be ditching Vodafone as they are usually very expensive and, dare I say it, slightly dodgy (they still owe me money).  Try iD mobile.  I switched last year and it reduced my bill to 25% of what Vodafone wanted for a lesser service.

On 29/09/2018 at 09:16, winkie said:

Fair enough.......but there are other devices that do exactly the same thing..... thankfully.😉

not that fit in your pocket 

On 29/09/2018 at 09:36, dougless said:

As a good House Price Crasher you should be ditching Vodafone as they are usually very expensive and, dare I say it, slightly dodgy (they still owe me money).  Try iD mobile.  I switched last year and it reduced my bill to 25% of what Vodafone wanted for a lesser service.

plusnet £8 a month unlimted txt unlimited calls 4.5gb a month data 1 month contract 

I hear you, but have you considered the counter argument of why not?

I just bought a set of carved 'treebeard' type faces that will go on trees around the garden. Locally carved, they weren't cheap (not the price of an iphone mind you), but serve no real purpose.

I liked 'em, I wanted 'em, I bought 'em!

58 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

I hear you, but have you considered the counter argument of why not?

I just bought a set of carved 'treebeard' type faces that will go on trees around the garden. Locally carved, they weren't cheap (not the price of an iphone mind you), but serve no real purpose.

I liked 'em, I wanted 'em, I bought 'em!

That's fair enough. What I do wonder though is sometimes people really know what they like. I often suspect people who always want the next new thing - that's great, what we've got is rubbish, the new one will be so much better - actually know. Because it's never long before what was apparently so great is now useless and they really need the next one. They'd have been just the same, and just as happy with regards to the latest gadgets, 50 years ago, and will probably be the same in the future. Just a desire for novelty for the sake of it, nothing more.