House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
prozac

Council finds 35 people living in one house in north London suburb

1 hour ago, prozac said:

The two landlords – Arun Bajaj and Antonio Ferraivolo – were also renting out two flats in Finsbury Park. The council officers found they were overcrowded as well.

https://app.standard.co.uk/2018/09/14/council-finds-35-people-living-in-one-house-in-north-london-suburb/content.html

And this is how immigration forces up rents. When people are willing to live in these conditions, it means ordinary families have to at least be able to match the rents that these 35 people combined are able to pay. Ridiculous 

Good investigation by the council, although they will now be duty bound to provide 35 one bed flats or family accommodation or at least B & B emergency accommodation. Shoving other people down the list - who may then be forced into the hands of unscrupulous landlords. And so the shelter and population crisis continues - no political party has addressed this.

No details of amount of housing benefits going to the landlord, if any.  

Edited by frankief

1 hour ago, SOLZHENITSYN said:

And this is how immigration forces up rents. When people are willing to live in these conditions, it means ordinary families have to at least be able to match the rents that these 35 people combined are able to pay. Ridiculous 

+1

It's easy for people to dismiss the immigration argument, but if you have people coming over to work, they are often quite happy to live 4/5 adults to a house. In their situation, I would have done the same as well at that age before I had a family. In fact, living in a shared house {before I had kids) was one of the happiest times of my life.  

I don't blame immigrants at all, and I don't see immigration per se as a bad thing. 

But in my view large-scale immigration has undoubtedly driven up housing costs / rents for two-adult families, who have to (potentially at least) compete with 4/5 working adults.

1 hour ago, oatbake said:

+1

It's easy for people to dismiss the immigration argument, but if you have people coming over to work, they are often quite happy to live 4/5 adults to a house. In their situation, I would have done the same as well at that age before I had a family. In fact, living in a shared house {before I had kids) was one of the happiest times of my life.  

I don't blame immigrants at all, and I don't see immigration per se as a bad thing. 

But in my view large-scale immigration has undoubtedly driven up housing costs / rents for two-adult families, who have to (potentially at least) compete with 4/5 working adults.

?? Do you mean quite happy to live 4/5 adults to a room, (not a house)  ?

would not be surprised if there were not many flats and houses like that dotted around the boroughs....hot beds, few personal possessions, change of clothes, a mobile, space in the fridge.....in cities not working can sit in a cafe all day using wifi and heating, use the public loos, visit the library, window shop, take a walk in the park......just a place to get a few hours kip.;)   

3 hours ago, SOLZHENITSYN said:

Immigration does add to the demand for housing, but presumably these were illegal immigrants and this sort of overcrowding is a symptom rather than a cause.

4 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Fabric walled cage 'homes'

That is disgusting......remind me never to visit that place, where people are treated solely as rental cash cows, I don't suppose they have any choice but to take it.....what alternatives do they have, the alternatives have got to be worse if they are to put up with it......lets hope and pray our own living standards for the poor don't fall to that level.;)

As long as they’re all paying the rent on time who gives a f**k?

if however I’m only getting thirty four rent payments one month, holy mother of god I’m going to burn the whole fcking place down one night and claim it on the insurance. 

Scumbags.

how else can they make money on houses now worth 3/4 mill.  you just keep upping the stakes, upping the risk. 

aint we at the tiping point, why are the young not rioting, they have no ba54s now, none at all. the kids of the 60,  70s and 80s wouldnt have put up with this.  

im starting to lose sympathy for them