House Price Crash Forum

Sentiment has changed in the office

Monkey

HOLA441

I have noticed over the last month, and more so the last week, that sentiment on House prices has changed. This is in an Engineering company with many people at various stages of life and earnings. 

Its much, much more bearish than it has been for the last 2 years. People acually talking of house price falls, chains failing. Talk of how ridiculous HtB, etc are and that the government shouldnt be meddling in a "free" market. BTL getting a bashing as well. 

Its all quite odd.... 3 months ago anyone mentioning the possibility of HPI slowing let alone reverse, would have been branded a nutter, now its the other way round

HOLA442

I think that wveryone is now so bloody fed up being stretched so thin just to afford the basic necessity of shelter. 10 years ago it was probably accepted that the housing market was the way it was and now many more are noticing how tough it really is given how salaries haven't kept pace with housing. EG: requiring two full time salaries to service the mortgage payment or private rental payment.

Shame on the Government for allowing this scandal to carry on.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
On 14/09/2018 at 22:30, MattW said:

ow many more are noticing how tough it really is given how salaries haven't kept pace with housing. EG: requiring two full time salaries to service the mortgage payment or private rental payment.

Shame on the Government for allowing this scandal to carry on.

what exactly do you think the government could do to alleviate this issue

not trolling a genuine question because I cannot think of an answer that works

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
21 minutes ago, happyguy said:

not trolling a genuine question because I cannot think of an answer that works

Remove HTB, and other props for the housing market, encourage BoE to raise interest rates to 5-7% ASAP. 

Force wage multiples to a sensible level (similar to the rates in the 80's)

Would be a start

Edited by Monkey

HOLA4411
3 hours ago, happyguy said:

if you make an offer that you think is stupid so will everyone else and you will  not be taken seriously when other well priced houses are available 

You're dealing with estate agents. If you are a proceedable buyer, they'll take you seriously. They might not like you but it's not a popularity contest .

HOLA4412
6 hours ago, happyguy said:

I don't think the GovernBankment really wants to tackle the issue.

All we can do is just wait until interest rates go up further and things turn to s**t on their own accord.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

We need a revolution. 

Or the government could do various things: Ban Help To Buy and ban buy-to-let  - landlords shouldn't be able to rent out properties unless they own them outright. BTLers should be forced to sell them to the sitting tenant or put up for sale if they can't pay down the mortgage themselves. Raise the housing benefit level so all over-18s get the same amount. Put a land value tax on the aristocracy and take the power of the banks to charge interest away from them. This is likely to result to result in annihilation by Israel however...

• 1 month later...
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
1 minute ago, iamnumerate said:

I thought the early 90s were the cheapest for a long time (IIRC).

They were cheaper than the late 80s due to the housing bust. I was a student in the 90s but do remember the prices people were paying and remember thinking they must be mad.

I guess I've never been able to see the value in housing, but back then it would have been more of a liability for me. Today I just see a huge bubble and suppressed savings rates designed to force people into the bubble.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
56 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Were they cheaper than in the 70s etc?  Or am I wrong?

No, prices in the 70's look like pocket money now.  From memory there was an early 70's climb in prices which continued through to the late 70's BUT inflation was so high in the mid 70's that in effect prices were falling or flat-lining towards the end of the decade.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4423
On 29/10/2018 at 13:55, eric pebble said:

The "market" needs to fall 70-80%.  Yes -- no typo;  70- 80%.

I completely agree, when looking at what family members have paid for various places over the years and then a cursory look on the internet to see what the same property sold for over the last 15 to 20 years you're right - many i look at round my way would need to fall at least 60 to 70% to where they were in mid to late 90's.

Just goes to show how crazy things have got and how far we've got to go...................