House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

I don't think I can take it anymore

Back in 2014, Kirstie urged women to put off higher education and a career in favour of having children because their "fertility falls off a cliff".

Said the daughter of an aristocrat who doesn’t need to work full time to pay the bills or be part of 2 full time wages to pay for a house.

If I were female I might be livid but she is so out of touch with reality and economically parasitic that her views can’t be taken seriously.

19 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Back in 2014, Kirstie urged women to put off higher education and a career in favour of having children because their "fertility falls off a cliff".

Err cos no university would have her. Literally.

24 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Said the daughter of an aristocrat who doesn’t need to work full time to pay the bills or be part of 2 full time wages to pay for a house.

If I were female I might be livid but she is so out of touch with reality and economically parasitic that her views can’t be taken seriously.

She is instrumental and the top poster girl for modern day mortgage slavery where so many people have no choice but to both work and have good education. She never mentioned the fact that she did quite poorly at school, maybe some would even say she was  thick.

My favourite one from her was how she is disgusted with women that wear jeans and how un-lady like they are, nothing of course to do with having a huge a**e which is probably the real reason, though it shouldn't be.

28 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

Saw her on QT a while back, have to say she looked quite fit, maybe a good angle or something to do with the studio lighting?

That's like me confessing to wanting liz Jones, from the daily fail, to take me doggy fashion! 

Edited by maffo in oxford

Agree 100%

"Some children thrive at school early on but some don't, ­especially boys, and life-long damage is done. Schools must trust parental instincts."

Agree 100%

Speaking of her parents' decision, she added that "in their eyes they were making the biggest sacrifice for me. Who is to say what is right or not in that situation, other than the child?"

Agree 100%

Earlier this month, she said her sons, aged 10 and 12, weren't allowed smartphones or access to "damaging" social media.

Holy shit who is this person, she sounds like the ideal mother

"I'm not the perfect parent, but I think that if you let children free with wood, knives and matches sometimes and nails, screws and drills sometimes, they rarely - touch wood - do themselves any harm and they learn so much," she said.

Very nice

"Older people mustn't think they're a burden and they must call their kids and the children should call their parents. We must respect the older generation and set store by their opinion, otherwise it will happen to us.

"We have a duty to our parents to stay in touch, and see them and know them and understand them.'

Well I disagree to the extent that simply pushing you out of a hole entitles someone to your company for the rest of your lives, but I agree that once you have children, your life belongs in every aspect to them. People are far too selfish with their kids and god forbid they have to sacrifice the tiniest thing like booze or fags

Honestly, I have no idea who this person is, but she has some very sensible views.

30 minutes ago, Locke said:

Honestly, I have no idea who this person is, but she has some very sensible views.

How many children do you many children do you have if you don’t mind me asking?

3 hours ago, btl_hater said:

How many children do you many children do you have if you don’t mind me asking?

None yet. Planning on at least 4 and fairly soon. Why?

29 minutes ago, Locke said:

None yet. Planning on at least 4 and fairly soon. Why?

You do realise it takes 9.5 months for each ? Unless you have a concubine awaiting you. :D

18 hours ago, dances with sheeple said:

Saw her on QT a while back, have to say she looked quite fit, maybe a good angle or something to do with the studio lighting?

Pretty good lighting

20 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

Sadly that is true for some women.  I know practising Catholics who believe in the teachings on contraception who found that after 30 they had no more children - of course for them a blessing - but not for everyone.

BTW I don't think women should not work and have babies at 18 - but there is a risk.  Hopefully medicine will solve this.

She is right that people (not just women) should give more thought to falling fertility, but she makes the wrong argument. It would make more sense if she said more women should consider having children shortly after university.

21 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

She is right that people (not just women) should give more thought to falling fertility, but she makes the wrong argument. It would make more sense if she said more women should consider having children shortly after university.

So then what was the point of a University education? 

I'd have thought the opposite way round makes far more sense - raise kids then go to Uni.

35 minutes ago, chronyx said:

So then what was the point of a University education? 

Ironically the point of a University education has always been education! It may perform other functions, such as training skills desired by employers, but education always remains.

When it was expected that women would stop work upon marriage, the additional purpose of university for them was to find a husband. It is no longer assumed that many people go to university with only the intention of getting education and finding a husband. But both men and women are quite likely to meet their future spouse at university. I would think few people are going to get married at 18, before starting university. That would probably mean having been in a serious relationship for some time and starting preparing to get married quite early in the sixth-form! Unless a young woman finds herself in this situation, then even if she does want to marry early, she should probably go to university and carry on studying and looking for a husband.

35 minutes ago, chronyx said:

I'd have thought the opposite way round makes far more sense - raise kids then go to Uni.

She would probably then be early 40s, though she could be late 30s. If she isn't heavily involved with her children at that point (perhaps they are following in her footsteps and she is soon to be a grandmother), she could go. The benefits of an education remain, though after a long break from school, this may be a challenge.

Edited by Kosmin

1 hour ago, Kosmin said:

She would probably then be early 40s, though she could be late 30s. If she isn't heavily involved with her children at that point (perhaps they are following in her footsteps and she is soon to be a grandmother), she could go. The benefits of an education remain, though after a long break from school, this may be a challenge.

On phone so excuse brief reply - the same would hold for a Uni degree losing relevance or simply forgetting stuff over time - I'm a tradie and i know how quickly skills can go off the boil!

Make the most of that fertility window I reckon :)

28 minutes ago, chronyx said:

On phone so excuse brief reply - the same would hold for a Uni degree losing relevance or simply forgetting stuff over time - I'm a tradie and i know how quickly skills can go off the boil!

Make the most of that fertility window I reckon :)

It's common for women to spend time raising children, then return to work (could be full-time, or part-time, depending on job flexibility, what spouse does, whether grandparents live nearby, etc.). This is a lot more feasible than going to university whilst still trying to be involved raising a child.