House Price Crash Forum

Confiscating Nigerian properties in London UWO

simvastatin

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

It sounds good to me so I hope its true.  A quick search found this article dated April 2017 so not current:

https://allafrica.com/stories/201704100127.html

If this has been happening or the threat is perceived as real then it might help to explain, in part, why the more expensive properties in London have been dropping in price for the past 18 months.

HOLA445
1 hour ago, dougless said:

It sounds good to me so I hope its true.  A quick search found this article dated April 2017 so not current:

https://allafrica.com/stories/201704100127.html

If this has been happening or the threat is perceived as real then it might help to explain, in part, why the more expensive properties in London have been dropping in price for the past 18 months.

PS if this is stolen money or acquired from the third world fraudulently then they will lose, I cannot see them going through the courts to try to get it back

i know two Nigerians and they are both talking about it.

one has a cousin who is in ordinary bod who has £60k in a UK bank which was half his assets, as he did not trust Nigeria this got confiscated, he did not pull the money out as he was not political or an oligarch so did not think UWO applied to him he has 3 months to prove where this money is from, which he cannot as he illegally got the money out of Nigeria 

Edited by vincent

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45525976

British law enforcement officers fighting money laundering are being frustrated by a lack of co-operation by the authorities in the Cayman Islands.

The National Crime Agency said it was "asking for information we don't get". 

It says it has also significantly stepped up efforts to seize dirty Russian money coming into the UK.

HOLA4410
31 minutes ago, prozac said:

British law enforcement officers fighting money laundering are being frustrated by a lack of co-operation by the authorities in the Cayman Islands.

The National Crime Agency said it was "asking for information we don't get". 

Have they tried saying pretty please?  

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
On 08/09/2018 at 10:26, prozac said:

he did not trust Nigeria this got confiscated, he did not pull the money out as he was not political or an oligarch so did not think UWO applied to him he has 3 months to prove where this money is from, which he cannot as he illegally got the money out of Nigeria 

Imagine working your blood, sweat and tears out to save £60k, trying to protect your hard-won assets by getting it away from the corrupt tentacles of Nigerian politi-thieves, only to have to stolen instead by British politi-thieves in our supposedly "corruption-free" democracy. Galling.

Sure, some Nigerians probably moved the proceeds of crime out, but I highly doubt it is all from crime. All the Nigerian government has to do is label moving your own goddamn cash out of the country as "illegal" and then they can claw back your legitimately-earned money. Literal slavery.

HOLA4413
7 hours ago, Locke said:

Imagine working your blood, sweat and tears out to save £60k, trying to protect your hard-won assets by getting it away from the corrupt tentacles of Nigerian politi-thieves, only to have to stolen instead by British politi-thieves in our supposedly "corruption-free" democracy. Galling.

Sure, some Nigerians probably moved the proceeds of crime out, but I highly doubt it is all from crime. All the Nigerian government has to do is label moving your own goddamn cash out of the country as "illegal" and then they can claw back your legitimately-earned money. Literal slavery.

I dont think the sums are in the several 10k.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4419

The wife of a foreign banker faces losing UK property worth millions of pounds unless she can explain the source of her wealth, following a judgment at the high court.

The woman, referred to in the judgment as “Mrs A” and cannot be named for legal reasons, was the subject of the UK’s first unexplained wealth order earlier this year following an application by the National Crime Agency.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/03/bankers-wife-may-lose-property-worth-millions-after-uk-court-ruling?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 hour ago, prozac said:

You are a pretty good sleuth can you name Mrs A

or leave clues if you are worried about legal ramifications 

i will buy you a beer if you can

A corrupt nigerian businessman /pol ... hmm lets see if i can narrow it down to under 10m...

I dont know. Pick a name, they are all bent.

To get an UWO you really have to be diddling several million.

Dodhy theyve got a 7m mortgage too.

HOLA4422
4 minutes ago, spyguy said:

A corrupt nigerian businessman /pol ... hmm lets see if i can narrow it down to under 10m...

I dont know. Pick a name, they are all bent.

To get an UWO you really have to be diddling several million.

Dodhy theyve got a 7m mortgage too.

For 14 years, Mr A was the chairman of a state-owned bank in a non-EEA country. He resigned in 2015

Edited by prozac

HOLA4423
On 17/09/2018 at 12:45, Locke said:

If its legit then they just cough up the paperwork, e.g. business accounts from Nigeria, and be on their way. 

HOLA4424
5 hours ago, Cosmic Apple said:

If its legit then they just cough up the paperwork, e.g. business accounts from Nigeria, and be on their way. 

There is a lot of cash in the UK that is the savings of people like this nigerian guy, who think their own politicians are dodgy not knowing that is the same the world over.

I think with brexit we may be confiscating a lot of money to make ends meet

HOLA4425
On 03/10/2018 at 18:13, prozac said:

You are a pretty good sleuth can you name Mrs A

or leave clues if you are worried about legal ramifications 

i will buy you a beer if you can

Never found out .. til now:

https://www.ft.com/content/45fecc14-cc6a-11e8-9fe5-24ad351828ab

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6257433/Woman-blew-16m-Harrods-wife-Azerbaijani-banking-executive.html