House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

They really are out to get me!

I went for a routine eye test at an optician that I hadn't used before. As my eyesight has been perfect (with glasses) I was not expecting much of a change. Wrong, the optician said there had been "quite a large change" and recommended new glasses.

Not trusting anyone these days, I thanked them for their advice and took the new prescription home to compare with my old one. The change looked minimal to me, so I took them both to the independent optical lab who always make my specs and they said that the change was so small that I probably wouldn't notice, so we agreed to leave it until my next  routine eye test and decide then whether new specs would be beneficial.

The cost of new glasses and sunglasses would have been £700 from the optician and £ 250 from the private lab.

No, not out to get you, they want to try and improve all be it only slightly but it will cost you.....ongoing aging costs will be, ears, eyes, teeth plus lots of managing drugs and treatments for life, customer for life......lots of potential customers growing older, large pool of potential growth and profits......have to be sensible about this, number one as far as possible look after your own health best you can.....shop around, get second opinion, will the treatment be cost effective, how long before more cost required, is the treatment actually required, is there something better available, will the treatment actually improve things or make it worse....do your own research, know your own body.;)

Definitely out to get me.

I'm sure the test was accurate, it was done using the latest digital equipment, but the difference from my existing prescription was tiny, plus a quarter diopter (the smallest unit of measurement used) on the near for reading, not "quite large" as was suggested and I have no problem reading small text so not really necessary.

It is exactly because I do my own research and know my own body that I didn't get stiffed for £700.

Had they said it was a minor tweak but I may notice a slight improvement for close vision, I would not have minded, but referring to a quarter dioptre change as "quite large" was precisely what is depicted in Will's cartoon LOL.

You say you haven't used this optician before, maybe was out to make a fast buck, not wise business practice, you would think better gaining your confidence, being honest with you so you feel happy to go back in six months time and stick over time.....chances eyes will require a prescription in the future and you buy your new and future glasses with them......big competition in eye care, many new entrants into market for obvious reasons, I think more high street health services shops opening to serve growing demographic 50 plus customers eye and other issues, some diversing into hearing tests simply because of new competition opening up out there.....some of the older optician business must be feeling the pinch having to adapt to the changes....only the best will survive.😉

Brand names mean nothing they're all made by one company Luxottica.

http://www.luxottica.com/en/eyewear-brands

"In the process, optical retailers learned the strange fact that for something that costs only a few pounds to make (even top-of-the-range frames and lenses cost, combined, no more than about £30 to produce), we are happy, happier in fact, when paying 10 or 20 times that amount. “The margins,” as one veteran of the sector told me carefully, “are outrageous.” The co-founder of Specsavers, Mary Perkins, is Britain’s first self-made female billionaire." https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/may/10/the-invisible-power-of-big-glasses-eyewear-industry-essilor-luxottica

I'll stick with them because they're local and do a satisfactory free (to me) eye test. But, I will decide when it's time to get the new prescription made up and when that time comes I will use my usual optical lab who provide excellent products at reasonable prices.

On 07/09/2018 at 18:58, sexton said:

Brand names mean nothing they're all made by one company Luxottica.

http://www.luxottica.com/en/eyewear-brands

"In the process, optical retailers learned the strange fact that for something that costs only a few pounds to make (even top-of-the-range frames and lenses cost, combined, no more than about £30 to produce), we are happy, happier in fact, when paying 10 or 20 times that amount. “The margins,” as one veteran of the sector told me carefully, “are outrageous.” The co-founder of Specsavers, Mary Perkins, is Britain’s first self-made female billionaire." https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/may/10/the-invisible-power-of-big-glasses-eyewear-industry-essilor-luxottica

aye 

60 Minutes - Luxottica. Do you know who makes your glasses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDdq2rIqAlM