House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

Increase in Arson & Vandalism against Van Dwellers recently ?

Seems to be an increase in such articles in recent months ? 

Campervan gutted in suspected arson attack in another Bristol 'van-dweller' area

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/campervan-gutted-suspected-arson-attack-1729885

(Brighton) Vandals graffiti ‘stop taking the piss’ on vehicles parked in road for months

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/30/vandals-graffiti-stop-taking-the-piss-on-vehicles-parked-in-road-for-months-7897742

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

43 minutes ago, chronyx said:

They haven't got the cajones to do that to genuine Caravan Utilising Nomadic Travellers 

Haha - quite. All of a sudden those spuds shrink when it's not one scrawny hippy and his bird in the middle of the night and they're up against people who use bare-knuckles to settle a disagreement. 

On 01/09/2018 at 12:39, thewig said:

Sounds like the calling card of a DEBTpusher

IF such attacks are originating from overly nervous price level conscious local homeowners then this would be the most ugly form of NIMBYism there possibly is - and the proverbial book should be thrown at them.

Edited by anonguest

Bristol City Council orders van-dwellers to leave Greenbank and Easton within 8 days

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-city-council-orders-van-1638502  

"Although some people live in a van for the freedom and cost effectiveness, the majority of van dwellers will tell you the lifestyle is not a choice, they simply cannot afford to rent or buy in Bristol in the current climate.

It was revealed two weeks ago that Bristol City Council has drawn up a policy, alongside Avon and Somerset Police, specifically for people who live in street-parked vehicles - the Draft Police for Vehicle Dwellers. "

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

15 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Bristol City Council orders van-dwellers to leave Greenbank and Easton within 8 days

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-city-council-orders-van-1638502  

"Although some people live in a van for the freedom and cost effectiveness, the majority of van dwellers will tell you the lifestyle is not a choice, they simply cannot afford to rent or buy in Bristol in the current climate.

It was revealed two weeks ago that Bristol City Council has drawn up a policy, alongside Avon and Somerset Police, specifically for people who live in street-parked vehicles - the Draft Police for Vehicle Dwellers. "

any more info on this policy?  are they intending to try and prevent van living which would surely be against your human rights, or set up areas where its allowed to control it to their liking?

being in a somewhat seasonal job my intentions are to hit the road in my van during the winter. as a kind of holiday but pay my way. im not set at all on where im going to go, just going to get in the van and see where it takes me. hoping to pick up a bit of work perhaps through an agency or something to pay my way while doing so. 

or maybe the people in bristol prefer i go sign on the dole? instead of getting on my bike, or van as it may be and getting some work. i will be keeping my house, paying my council tax, paying my rent while im away so i wonder what their argument or dispute could possibly be with me. perhaps they are empty b&b owners

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 11:47, chronyx said:

They haven't got the cajones to do that to genuine Caravan Utilising Nomadic Travellers 

+1...actions of a coward I expect who sprayed the van and ran off.  Shameful.  Why don't they take direct action against those hoarding housing and profiteering from the housing shortage in Bristol? 

39 minutes ago, Wayward said:

+1...actions of a coward I expect who sprayed the van and ran off.  Shameful.  Why don't they take direct action against those hoarding housing and profiteering from the housing shortage in Bristol? 

Quite, they're totally brainwashed, zombies kicking down, tragic but that's where we are.

1 hour ago, jimmy2x3 said:

any more info on this policy?  are they intending to try and prevent van living which would surely be against your human rights, or set up areas where its allowed to control it to their liking?

Slight swerve from thread topic but LAs want the people who own the land that van-dwellers park on to have to buy a licence - I know this from the bitter experience of a friend of mine who has been chucked off a farm because it wasn't licensed. There were just two lots of people there, running water, everyone behaving and all hunky-dory but those aren't the kind of namby-pamby criteria that the council look at, they want their licence fee. What we really need is many more sites to cater to all kinds of people, apparently the current public sites are nasty as hell.

Ah, camper vans/mobilehome.

Covers a range of vehicles, from middle class surfer dudes parked up in Cornwall, to OAP roamers.

Ive never seen a Traveller n dawg in a campervan. Ever. Always a caravan and big motor at the front. Never varies.

We get a *lot* of mobile homes. Numbers have shot up in the last 10 years.

20 years ago they were a very rare site.

A few park in far off laybys on the moor, pub carparks etc. No problem there.

The majority park on the streets down the front or the riverside carpark:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/16120885.Clampdown_on_motor_homes_at_seaside_town_following_complaints/

These are a biblical curse.

image.jpg

Whenever theres an article on motorhome clampdonw,s the comments/ltter pages always fill up with stuff like 'Oh, we are respectable retired motorhomers. We spend 400 a weekend in Whitby eating out etc etc'

The number of times Ive seen a motorhomer leave a restaurant after spending big bucks - 0.

The number of times Ive seen a motorhomer illegally pouring their p1ss bucket down the drain and eating sandwiches on their step - daily.

39 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Covers a range of vehicles, from middle class surfer dudes parked up in Cornwall, to OAP roamers.

Ive never seen a Traveller n dawg in a campervan. Ever. Always a caravan and big motor at the front. Never varies.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/16120885.Clampdown_on_motor_homes_at_seaside_town_following_complaints/

image.jpg

Whenever theres an article on motorhome clampdonw,s the comments/ltter pages always fill up with stuff like 'Oh, we are respectable retired motorhomers. We spend 400 a weekend in Whitby eating out etc etc'

The number of times Ive seen a motorhomer leave a restaurant after spending big bucks - 0.

The number of times Ive seen a motorhomer illegally pouring their p1ss bucket down the drain and eating sandwiches on their step - daily.

The Germans absolutely hate the Dutch in their motor homes for exactly the same reasons you describe 

The respectable folk will stay at a CL won't they?...Caravan Club Certified Location - but you have to pay...price varies on location etc. but often less than £10 a night and including electricity...until recently I used to see them for £5 but it seems price is going up...

I think the CC rules say you can't stay for longer than a month but that's fine if travelling around and I think max of 5 caravans/motorhomes on the site.  I don't use them but I know a number of people that do and I have visited them whilst staying at these sites and they are often lovely...views and set in orchards etc. 

actually the absolute worst people for spending zero money and expecting free amenities are your hillwalker/hitcher types. these people take great pride in spending the very least possible on a trip. they can be found all over the scottish highlands in the summer and corwall and wales and london. tramping about with their massive backpacks and stoves for the tins of beans and bacon they bought in lidl. 

they in the main are middle class of all ages and you can bet they all have nice houses and car back home. no-one is more cheapskate than a middle class outdoors type, the local pub here has had to ban them. imagine that, banning tourists. simply because they want to sit for 3 hours with half a shandy. while washing themselves top to tail in the pub toilets and hanging up their clothes to dry. they give no tips and take a lifetime to decide what to buy, which is allways the cheapest thing on the menu in the end, allways. they are sadly without respect or common decency about someone needing to earn a living and expect it all for free. infact i honestly believe they challenge each other to see who can be the biggest cheapskate. they do stuff that would embarrass the normal person but they do it without caring with their cheap gawking smiles and there little pouches full on 5ps and 10ps that they guard with their life, and spend less frequent.  

Edited by jimmy2x3

39 minutes ago, jimmy2x3 said:

actually the absolute worst people for spending zero money and expecting free amenities are your hillwalker/hitcher types. these people take great pride in spending the very least possible on a trip. they can be found all over the scottish highlands in the summer and corwall and wales and london. tramping about with their massive backpacks and stoves for the tins of beans and bacon they bought in lidl. 

they in the main are middle class of all ages and you can bet they all have nice houses and car back home. no-one is more cheapskate than a middle class outdoors type, the local pub here has had to ban them. imagine that, banning tourists. simply because they want to sit for 3 hours with half a shandy. while washing themselves top to tail in the pub toilets and hanging up their clothes to dry. they give no tips and take a lifetime to decide what to buy, which is allways the cheapest thing on the menu in the end, allways. they are sadly without respect or common decency about someone needing to earn a living and expect it all for free. infact i honestly believe they challenge each other to see who can be the biggest cheapskate. they do stuff that would embarrass the normal person but they do it without caring with their cheap gawking smiles and there little pouches full on 5ps and 10ps that they guard with their life, and spend less frequent.  

I worked behind a barduring folk week.

The real big spenders might buy a 2nd half pint.

On 03/09/2018 at 15:02, spyguy said:

image.jpg

What is it exactly you don't like about them?

You must have magical powers if you can tell whether the tourists coming from restaurants are sleeping in a motorhome or hotel.

As for people pouring piss down a drain. I imagine the vast majority of the time it's just water, because 'piss buckets' in motorhomes don't look like buckets at all. In pretty much every W.European country there would be a big hole above the drain for the exact purpose of campervans to pour their piss buckets into it, what's stopping the council in providing one? the drains are already there, all they need to do is create access to it. These motorhomes aren't staying there for free, at least provide bins and drainage if that's what's required.

Come on this is housepricecrash, I didn't think NIMBY's hung around here. 

You'll be pleased to know motorhomes have now been banned from using those carparks due to the 'increasing number of complaints' (councils words)

How many complaints in 3 years? One.

http://nyenquirer.uk/motorhome-madness/

Edited by honkydonkey

19 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

In pretty much every W.European country there would be a big hole above the drain for the exact purpose of campervans to pour their piss buckets into it, what's stopping the council in providing one? the drains are already there, all they need to do is create access to it. These motorhomes aren't staying there for free, at least provide bins and drainage if that's what's required.

There are two types of drains- those that go into the sewerage system, and 'storm drains' which are designed to channel rainwater directly into a watercourse or the sea without treating it in any way. I would imagine the roadside drains in a seaside town would be the latter...

Edit: that's not to say that I'm in favour of persecuting van dwellers, indeed I came close to buying a van and clearing off for a bit myself, I'm just saying.

Edited by Rave

2 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

What is it exactly you don't like about them?

You must have magical powers if you can tell whether the tourists coming from restaurants are sleeping in a motorhome or hotel.

As for people pouring piss down a drain. I imagine the vast majority of the time it's just water, because 'piss buckets' in motorhomes don't look like buckets at all. In pretty much every W.European country there would be a big hole above the drain for the exact purpose of campervans to pour their piss buckets into it, what's stopping the council in providing one? the drains are already there, all they need to do is create access to it. These motorhomes aren't staying there for free, at least provide bins and drainage if that's what's required.

Come on this is housepricecrash, I didn't think NIMBY's hung around here. 

You'll be pleased to know motorhomes have now been banned from using those carparks due to the 'increasing number of complaints' (councils words)

How many complaints in 3 years? One.

http://nyenquirer.uk/motorhome-madness/

There are mobile home sites but they are not free/cheap and are not near the front.

These car parks are not 24h.

As far as NIMBY, most mobile home owner tend to have big fuxxing houses - they need them to park the truck and the cars in.

On 03/09/2018 at 21:40, jimmy2x3 said:

I know this exact type of person. On a recent work trip to the u.s where we were able to eat out for free on expenses they calculated the tip for meals to  be exactly 15% ( this is the most we can claim on expenses) and not a penny more. 

It was embarrassing just to be on the same table.

22 minutes ago, mrdirkles said:

I know this exact type of person. On a recent work trip to the u.s where we were able to eat out for free on expenses they calculated the tip for meals to  be exactly 15% ( this is the most we can claim on expenses) and not a penny more. 

Exactly - the type when 4 of you go out for a curry won't split the bill 4 ways as "I didn't eat the poppadoms" - life is just too short

2 hours ago, mrdirkles said:

I didnt have a starter.....

On 03/09/2018 at 11:04, anonguest said:

IF such attacks are originating from overly nervous price level conscious local homeowners then this would be the most ugly form of NIMBYism there possibly is - and the proverbial book should be thrown at them.

The penalties for arson are steep, 10 years average but can be a life sentence if life is endangered (that includes Firefighters lives)