House Price Crash Forum

Mark Carney to be asked to extend term as Governor.

HOLA441
27 minutes ago, steaky said:

I walked past Mark Carney today (quite the little fellow!) on my way to St Pauls. I overheard him say the word "Premium" in his Canadian drawl. 

Try as I might to concoct a really great heckle (which I would never say anyway) I just came up blank. It's not like shouting "Sexy Beast" at Ben Kingsley...there's just nothing witty about interest rates.

Was he actually having a conversation, or does he just walk around like an economic words sound board?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
14 hours ago, btd1981 said:

Was he actually having a conversation, or does he just walk around like an economic words sound board?

He was chatting to another suit.  But perhaps when I recount the story again he'll be by himself yelling manically into a megaphone holding a copy of "The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money".

HOLA444
HOLA445
9 hours ago, steaky said:

He was chatting to another suit.  But perhaps when I recount the story again he'll be by himself yelling manically into a megaphone holding a copy of "The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money".

Whenever I see him on the telly I shout 'Jack the rates, you bloody fool. Jack the RATES!!'

Can't imagine what the neighbours think.

HOLA446
On 12/09/2018 at 20:08, steaky said:

I walked past Mark Carney today (quite the little fellow!) on my way to St Pauls. I overheard him say the word "Premium" in his Canadian drawl. 

Try as I might to concoct a really great heckle (which I would never say anyway) I just came up blank. It's not like shouting "Sexy Beast" at Ben Kingsley...there's just nothing witty about interest rates.

this bloke just walks the streets? No security? wouldn’t think of all people he would be casually just strolling around. 

I read a year or two ago for a while he near the top of a crypto hit list, where you placed bets on when someone was killed/died and if you guessed right (closest time) you would win the lot. the list got taken down of course, but enough people hated him enough to put good money towards the endeavour. Probably find the news article somewhere. wouldn’t surprise me if there was still an active list somewhere on the ‘dark web’. 

Personally I would give him a bloody good stern look and a damn good tutting. I certainly wouldn’t give up my seat for him on a train! 

HOLA447
On 15/09/2018 at 07:24, jiltedjen said:

this bloke just walks the streets? No security? wouldn’t think of all people he would be casually just strolling around. 

I read a year or two ago for a while he near the top of a crypto hit list, where you placed bets on when someone was killed/died and if you guessed right (closest time) you would win the lot. the list got taken down of course, but enough people hated him enough to put good money towards the endeavour. Probably find the news article somewhere. wouldn’t surprise me if there was still an active list somewhere on the ‘dark web’. 

Personally I would give him a bloody good stern look and a damn good tutting. I certainly wouldn’t give up my seat for him on a train! 

Funnily enough, as he's quite friendly looking and diminutive - almost like a small bear - the last thing you want to do is tut at him.  You're more likely to grab his cheek and and make cooing noises.

I think that why he gets away with being such a knob.

HOLA448
HOLA449
29 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Socially, he might be a really nice guy, just don't let him near your food. 

He's only doing the job he's paid to do and he's obviously doing it to HMG's satisfaction or he wouldn't have been asked to stay. 

I think a reasonable definition of a professional is somebody who does the job the way it should be done instead of just giving the customer whatever they ask for even if it's dumb and not in the customer's best interests.

We really should stop pretending that central bank independence exists. We've had maybe 20 years of "independence" spread across dozens of developed nation central banks by now - has a single central bank ever done anything the finance minister disagreed with? If not then central bankers are just finance minister lackeys and should be paid as such.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4410

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mark-carney-has-damaged-credibility-of-bank-of-england-khvj0s6kc

Looks like we are no the only people underwhelmed by the ongoing sh1t storm

'The Bank of England’s standing has been damaged since Mark Carney took over as governor, a former ratesetter has claimed.

Andrew Sentance, who sat on the Bank’s monetary policy committee between 2006 and 2011, has accused the governor of allowing the Bank’s independence to be “diluted in various ways”, most recently by his “shambolic” reappointment.

The former British Airways and CBI chief economist also criticised the lack of debate at the Bank and the “uniformity on the MPC”, where there has been very little dissent. “It seems that group think has become more consolidated,” he said'

• 2 months later...
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
14 hours ago, Will! said:

Bloomberg: Carney Says Jail for Bankers a Bluff, Hitting Pay Is Best Weapon

So reducing the pay of people who are already rich beyond the dreams of Croesus is a better way to deter them from further wrongdoing, rehabilitate them and protect society from them than prison?  I beg to differ.

As memory of the crisis fades? While the base rate is 0.75% and private sector debt is 170% of GDP??

We're still neck deep in the crisis, fool.

main-qimg-3682b3245e3515ae6d5ec10ef357c2

HOLA4416
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4417

BBC: Wanted: New Bank of England boss

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48035122

The government has launched the recruitment process for a new governor for the Bank of England.

The current governor Mark Carney will step down on 31 January 2020 after more than six years in the post.

For the first time the government has hired a recruitment firm to help with the search.

A job description will be placed on the public appointments website later. The annual salary is £480,000 - unchanged since 2013.

The job description will say that candidates must be able to demonstrate the ability to lead "a complex and powerful financial institution".

Interviews will be held over the summer and the appointment will be made by Chancellor Philip Hammond in the autumn.

"Finding a candidate with the right skills and experience to lead the Bank of England is vital for ensuring the continuing strength of our economy and for maintaining the UK's position as a leading global financial centre," he said in a statement.

Presentational grey line

Who is in the running?

With the Bank of England governor's job being crucial when it comes to our financial wellbeing, it is likely that approaches to candidates are already being made behind closed doors.

The chancellor has previously speculated that the ongoing uncertainty over Brexit might put off some applicants. But it's still a prime job - with a base salary of £480,000.

There's no shortage of potential internal candidates - such as Bank Deputy Governor Ben Broadbent or Chief Economist Andy Haldane.

Then there's former Deputy Governor Andrew Bailey, and former rate-setter Nemat Shafik.

But the use of a firm of headhunters for the first time implies the chancellor is keen for this to be a wide sweep of talent in what is, after all, the world's financial capital - and he is under pressure to consider more female candidates.

And, as with the incumbent, the search could go beyond our borders.

Raghuram Rajan, a former head of India's central bank, is another name that's been touted. But given the current political situation, the next governor is almost certain not to hail from elsewhere in the EU.

Presentational grey line

Last September, the Treasury confirmed that Mr Carney would extend his term until 2020, saying it would support a "smooth exit" from the European Union.

Officially the post is for eight years, but Mr Carney agreed to a five-year term with the option of a further three.

Mr Carney has "helped steer the UK economy through a challenging period," Mr Hammond said.

"Under Mark's leadership the Bank of England has been at the forefront of reforms to make our financial system safer and more accountable," he added.

The Bank of England governor wields immense power in the UK financial system, as they can influence the course of interest rates and also set priorities for the Bank in managing risks to the financial system.

The Bank governor is the chair of the three central committees at the Bank of England:

• The Monetary Policy Committee which sets interest rates
  • The Financial Policy Committee which monitors risks in the financial system
  • The Prudential Regulation Authority which regulates financial firms

Last year Mr Carney, who is Canadian, received total pay of £881,574. That included an accommodation allowance of £250,000, which the Bank says reflects the difference in the cost of living in London rather than Ottawa.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
1 hour ago, rantnrave said:

BBC: Wanted: New Bank of England boss

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48035122

The government has launched the recruitment process for a new governor for the Bank of England.

The current governor Mark Carney will step down on 31 January 2020 after more than six years in the post.

For the first time the government has hired a recruitment firm to help with the search.

Interviews will be held over the summer and the appointment will be made by Chancellor Philip Hammond in the autumn.

"Finding a candidate with the right skills and experience to lead the Bank of England is vital for ensuring the continuing strength of our economy and for maintaining the UK's position as a leading global financial centre," he said in a statement.

Presentational grey line

Who is in the running?

There's no shortage of potential internal candidates - such as Bank Deputy Governor Ben Broadbent or Chief Economist Andy Haldane.

Then there's former Deputy Governor Andrew Bailey, and former rate-setter Nemat Shafik.

But the use of a firm of headhunters for the first time implies the chancellor is keen for this to be a wide sweep of talent in what is, after all, the world's financial capital - and he is under pressure to consider more female candidates.

And, as with the incumbent, the search could go beyond our borders.

Raghuram Rajan, a former head of India's central bank, is another name that's been touted. But given the current political situation, the next governor is almost certain not to hail from elsewhere in the EU.

No way the BoE will hire Rajan, they guy is a hawk! He was harping on about the impending crisis in 2005 and prefers policy tightening.

Emerging market players hate the guy, he hiked rates to 7-8% in his previous tenure, imagine what that will do to the UK housing bubble. Put him on the BoE hot seat he'll start deflating the bubble and prefer credit control as well as a stronger pound! Exact opposite of the canadian clown!

No way the Tories are having that, if that happens UK will witness the poshest protests mankind has ever seen. Twats on horsebacks riding into London to protest against popping bubbles!

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, Spindler said:

we paid that guy's rent !

Aye some rent eh! All that hot air he pumped into the economy courtesy of cheap credit. Now that he's ruined two economies where to next? Im sure Trump would love to appoint a dove.....even if he's canadian!

Last year Mr Carney, who is Canadian, received total pay of £881,574. That included an accommodation allowance of £250,000, which the Bank says reflects the difference in the cost of living in London rather than Ottawa.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

The Bank of Canada's now raising the white flag on interest rates. Could be a tell that Carney's homeward bound after all.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-24/bank-of-canada-abandons-rate-hike-bias-amid-economic-slowdown

The Bank of Canada fully abandoned its bias toward raising interest rates as the economy grapples with a slowdown, bringing its policy in line with the Federal Reserve and other major industrial central banks.

Policy makers in Ottawa left their benchmark overnight rate unchanged at 1.75 percent for a fourth straight decision Wednesday, and dropped a reference to future increases that had been in every rate statement since the end of 2017.

The bank cited a series of factors -- from slower global growth to sluggish housing and oil sectors -- that brought Canada’s economy to a near halt over the past six months. Officials also laid out a more dour growth forecast for this year than economists are expecting.

“Governing Council judges that an accommodative policy interest rate continues to be warranted,” officials led by Governor Stephen Poloz said in the statement. “We will continue to evaluate the appropriate degree of monetary policy accommodation as new data arrive.”

HOLA4423