House Price Crash Forum
Mikhail Liebenstein

Mark Carney to be asked to extend term as Governor.

I will take a mere 1/4 of his salary and provide a made up inflation fan chart on a daily basis never mind monthly. 

And like the existing ones - it will never be worth more than the crayon that it's drawn with. 

Who do I apply to ? 

He should get his negotiating trousers on. £2.5m a year or I walk on the date it says on my contract. The Treasury are in a comically weak negotiating position, they're desperate to kick all cans well past March 2019.

15 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

He should get his negotiating trousers on. £2.5m a year or I walk on the date it says on my contract. The Treasury are in a comically weak negotiating position, they're desperate to kick all cans well past March 2019.

They could just outsource his job to Epson

7 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Hell, no! Hammond's already given Cornhole permission to run off another £750bn QE, no questions asked. Front-running just a fraction of that would set you up for life.

Faites vos jeux, as they say in Monte Carlo.

Maybe a smarter negotiating position would be to say that he knows the Treasury wants both continuity and to find a replacement, so in that case the Treasury can pay him for the next term as Governor up front and as soon as they find a replacement he'll leave.

10 hours ago, Dorkins said:

The BOE, ever vigilant in their fight against wage inflation, would never allow it.

Edited by BorrowToLeech

19 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Oh, Canada...

That is one of my favourite ever songs, now hopefully only momentarily associated with this dreadful goldman sachs puppet/muppet. Christ. We've drunk a case of him and we're in intensive care, send the boy home. He's finance's answer to nick-o-teen.

19 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Yup, he of all people should know how much spending-power the pound has been losing!

9 hours ago, BorrowToLeech said:

The BOE, ever vigilant in their fight against wage inflation, would never allow it.

So much to agree with in this thread - yes, that's right, they save it all for their blue-eyed boys like MC, who can have as many parties with endless cake and balloons as they like, clowns already in situ.

Of course if he turns a very generous offer down it can only be for one of two reasons, firstly as a man of honour he has already agreed a job elsewhere or secondly he is running for the hills with his loot before the wheels fly off. I think we all know which it will be.

Still amazed that this guy has been paid >£4m to continue ZIRP (technically not even his decision as the MPC are responsible for voting), introduce plastic banknotes, and waffle at press conferences for 5 years. Which part of that would somebody earning £200k pa not have been able to do?

He even makes university vice-chancellors look underpaid. The BoE is a public sector institution that employs about 4000 people whereas a decent sized university would usually have around 15,000 staff.

Why do they need a rockstar international banker to replace Carney anyway? Just rotate a senior civil servant into the role.

Edited by Dorkins

On 31/08/2018 at 21:34, Dorkins said:

Still amazed that this guy has been paid >£4m to continue ZIRP (technically not even his decision as the MPC are responsible for voting), introduce plastic banknotes, and waffle at press conferences for 5 years. Which part of that would somebody earning £200k pa not have been able to do?

He even makes university vice-chancellors look underpaid. The BoE is a public sector institution that employs about 4000 people whereas a decent sized university would usually have around 15,000 staff.

Why do they need a rockstar international banker to replace Carney anyway? Just rotate a senior civil servant into the role.

Sod that.

Just get an algorithm in place.

There's yet to be a study ... but Id guess the more economists employed in various government bodies results in worse economic performance.

Lol it’s like forward guidance. Keep extending a year until he arrives at the whatever the original standard governor term was. 

Edit: or maybe he could leave and return as a consultant 

Edited by Ash4781

3 hours ago, spyguy said:

There's yet to be a study ... but Id guess the more economists employed in various government bodies results in worse economic performance.

Indeed.

Though to write an algorithm to define what 'economic performance' actually is (including what is 'better' or 'worse') ... that is the problem.

Right now it is just about who has the most purchase power 'buys' the 'best' (most influential?) economists.

32 minutes ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Indeed.

Though to write an algorithm to define what 'economic performance' actually is (including what is 'better' or 'worse') ... that is the problem.

Right now it is just about who has the most purchase power 'buys' the 'best' (most influential?) economists.

Since when did performance ever matter?! Mervo the Clown got a Knighthood and a Peerage for his troubles! Baron King of Lothbury is now a Member of the Order of the Garter, the Deputy Lieutenant of Kent, and a Visiting Fellow of Nuffield College, Oxford. Two years ago he accepted a position as senior adviser to Citgroup, the American investment bank effectively saved from bankruptcy by the US Treasury in 2008.

In addition to superintending the first run on a City bank for 150 years and then subsequently overseeing the greatest financial crisis in British history, King was instrumental in opening up the UK to mass immigration from Eastern Europe without transitional controls, arguing that this would lower wage growth and inflation and provide the UK with 'first mover advantage' over its European rivals.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/24/former-bank-governor-encouraged-eastern-european-immigration

2 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Since when did performance ever matter?!

With 60 million fools to placate, performance is everything.

Merv was brilliant I thought. He presented such a truly respectable and calm British face during the initial destructive phase of the grand theft.