House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alistair Campbell

Houses built in a day?

17 hours ago, Alistair Campbell said:

I suspect that's not one of them in the background.

We're all familiar with the orlit houses that were built from kits in the late 1940s as temporary housing. Plenty are still there, such as seagoe Park, portadown.

That is one of the actual houses in the background, I was shocked by the quality, it is really good, it’s looks and feels like a normal brick built house, it also went up in a lot of hours as I passed the site on the way to work and when I came home it was fully built

7 hours ago, stingray192 said:

That is one of the actual houses in the background, I was shocked by the quality, it is really good, it’s looks and feels like a normal brick built house, it also went up in a lot of hours as I passed the site on the way to work and when I came home it was fully built

At 155k a unit I sort of think what's the point. Granted I don't know the finish or average size but for that sort of money building identical units you could probably do it using traditional methods. The housing "waiting list" has been high for years and will be high as long as people see social housing tenure as a house for life. 

I like the idea of factory built housing or even 3d printed onsite. I think it works for one off "grand designs" and I'd consider it myself. But for build them fast and cheap it's not there yet. 

the house built in a day is slightly misleading as well as they are built in a factory, the site is prepared over a period of weeks, the kit is delivered to the site and then all the electrics etc need to be completed, so in reality its several weeks, the one that is up in carrick is probably about 1000 sq ft and its clanmill housing that own the site, they have been preparing the site, putting roads, structure in place etc since late last year, also it doesn't take into account the time to build in the factory, also long term there could be a lot of tradesmen out of work which is no good for the economy

2 hours ago, stingray192 said:

the house built in a day is slightly misleading as well as they are built in a factory, the site is prepared over a period of weeks, the kit is delivered to the site and then all the electrics etc need to be completed, so in reality its several weeks, the one that is up in carrick is probably about 1000 sq ft and its clanmill housing that own the site, they have been preparing the site, putting roads, structure in place etc since late last year, also it doesn't take into account the time to build in the factory, also long term there could be a lot of tradesmen out of work which is no good for the economy

So £155 a square foot finished. So cost isn't the selling point. I'm having trouble seeing what's in this for clanmill.

6 hours ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

So £155 a square foot finished. So cost isn't the selling point. I'm having trouble seeing what's in this for clanmill.

Colossal price.