House Price Crash Forum
AdamoMucci

Jeremy Corbyn wants two BBCs.

https://news.sky.com/story/live-corbyn-outlines-plan-to-overhaul-bbc-11479804

He will call the second one the BDC. Oh dear. He is losing my goodwill. I really want to like him. Why does he have to be such a loon?

to compete far more effectively with the private multinational digital giants like Netflix, Amazon, Google and Facebook.

Apparently the state needs to compete with these companies. Because Netflix, Amazon, Google are so bad at what they do. But the BBC needs more of your money to compete. Because apparently it cannot reach the low low standards of these companies right now. So we need a second BBC to handle this.

This is the problem with government programs; they never end. Even when they are not needed anymore, they are still looking to grow and grow and grow.

He's asking for additional levies to replace the TV license fee.

That's a good idea. Hopefully with time they slowly get rid of that too and ask BBC to stand on its own legs. Nearly 5 billion in revenue predominantly made from milking people using archaic license laws.

BBC needs to either shut shop or learn to survive as a business without public support. 

31 minutes ago, shortbread said:

BBC needs to either shut shop or learn to survive as a business without public support. 

Yes. Better to rip the plaster off. 

Yank their enforcement powers TODAY.

19 minutes ago, shortbread said:

That's a good idea. Hopefully with time they slowly get rid of that too and ask BBC to stand on its own legs. Nearly 5 billion in revenue predominantly made from milking people using archaic license laws.

It's scandalous that these Silicon Valley robber barons and quasi-monopolists have been allowed to operate virtually tax-free to the detriment of indigenous producers and retailers. Putting the bite on them and using the proceeds to fund the competition via the BBC is a terrific idea. And if they f**k off altogether, so much the better.

The idea of a charitable status to 'citizen journalist' has some merit but there's no guarantee from JCs point of view they would agree with his politics -  there's a lot of anti-SJW feeling out there right now!

On the subject of JC and the BBC, the BBC are denying they photoshopped his image:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43463496

I wonder if anyone else noticed this?

1- His blue shirt has become white suggesting the blue content of the image has been reduced (fair enough that makes is more red to suit the background) but this also removes detail from his hat.

2- The depth of the hat as a ratio of the total depth of his head has been altered, ie the hat looks deeper from top to bottom and less cap like and more Russian fur hat proportions.

3- Should the BBC be re-enforcing Adobes famous brand-name software without mentioning others in the interests of balance?

1 hour ago, shortbread said:

OMG, yeah lets make the BBC into a new ITV.  Public service broadcasting doesn't add anything that advertising funded private interests can't do.  Not.

I'd rather the BBC dropped the celeb shyte and just do investigative journalism, documentaries, news and current affairs and Radio 1 to 4 and world service, and high quality drama.

7 minutes ago, ElPapasito said:

I'd rather the BBC dropped the celeb shyte and just do investigative journalism, documentaries, news and current affairs and Radio 1 to 4 and world service, and high quality drama.

I'd like to see that too but sadly it appears to be going the other way. Looks like a race to the bottom. 🙁

30 minutes ago, nightowl said:

On the subject of JC and the BBC, the BBC are denying they photoshopped his image:

His image looks compressed to me. Perhaps an artefact caused by the screen, camera & their background colour choices?

9 minutes ago, ElPapasito said:

OMG, yeah lets make the BBC into a new ITV.  Public service broadcasting doesn't add anything that advertising funded private interests can't do.  Not.

I agree. The BBC website these days is full of junk. Literally one or two useful pieces of information. Example of nonsense:

"12 Roads to avoid this August bank holiday"

"Couple pregnant after Facebook IVF fundraising"

"Dec to get new partner for Im a Celebrity"

"How my son jammed his leg in a wheelchair"

No wonder I dont pay a licence fee any more. Radio 4 does my head in sometimes with its documentaries on obscure pseudo-classical/world music fusion artistes.

12 minutes ago, Trump Invective said:

I agree. The BBC website these days is full of junk. Literally one or two useful pieces of information. Example of nonsense:

"12 Roads to avoid this August bank holiday"

"Couple pregnant after Facebook IVF fundraising"

"Dec to get new partner for Im a Celebrity"

"How my son jammed his leg in a wheelchair"

No wonder I dont pay a licence fee any more. Radio 4 does my head in sometimes with its documentaries on obscure pseudo-classical/world music fusion artistes.

The BBC news website these days seems to consist of about two or three headline stories which are usually news worth reporting on (spin in the articles notwithstanding) and a whole load of trite rubbish. They used to have a magazine section for chucking all that rubbish in.

32 minutes ago, ElPapasito said:

Broadly agreed, but I'm fine with them doing entertainment programming & comedy, just not stupid reality TV shyte.

They can get rid of this shit too:

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin

I'm still ****ing incensed to be paying for it!

37 minutes ago, LandOfConfusion said:

His image looks compressed to me. Perhaps an artefact caused by the screen, camera & their background colour choices?

The colour is deliberate but in context, it could be some lens distortion or blue-screen artifact- but still, I cant let a bit a physics or geometry get in the way of enjoying a good conspiracy (I want go get some entertainment out of my license fee)!

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin must be a spoof, surely? Trouble is, these days real life MSM seems more unbelievable than satire or spoofs and makes it hard to tell whats what now.

3 hours ago, AdamoMucci said:

https://news.sky.com/story/live-corbyn-outlines-plan-to-overhaul-bbc-11479804

He will call the second one the BDC. Oh dear. He is losing my goodwill. I really want to like him. Why does he have to be such a loon?

Apparently the state needs to compete with these companies. Because Netflix, Amazon, Google are so bad at what they do. But the BBC needs more of your money to compete. Because apparently it cannot reach the low low standards of these companies right now. So we need a second BBC to handle this.

This is the problem with government programs; they never end. Even when they are not needed anymore, they are still looking to grow and grow and grow.

This isn't a discussion solely involving the BBC.

The traditional 'Press' is struggling in the new digital age, due to a huge decline in advertising revenue - this is yet another undeniably brilliant move from Corbyn.

The press have been working overtime against Corbyn since day one. He is offering everyone within the industry a lifeline.

I can't think of a better way to get the press 'on side'?

He's a genius.

“I simply say this. I want us to have a strong and vibrant democracy and I support journalists who want us to have a strong and vibrant democracy"

"The Labour leader outlined a series of reforms for what he described as the “failing” news media in a speech at the Edinburgh TV Festival.

He spoke of a desire to “break the stranglehold of elite power and billionaire domination over large parts of our media”.

He floated proposals including the creation of an independent fund for public interest journalism paid for by tech giants and granting charitable status for some local, investigative journalism.

The Labour leader also raised the prospect of giving journalists the power to elect editors and having seats on boards for workers and consumers “when a title or programme gets particularly large and influential”.

Edited by Mapatasy

2 hours ago, zugzwang said:

It's scandalous that these Silicon Valley robber barons and quasi-monopolists have been allowed to operate virtually tax-free to the detriment of indigenous producers and retailers. Putting the bite on them and using the proceeds to fund the competition via the BBC is a terrific idea. And if they f**k off altogether, so much the better.

The tax on all online businesses needs completely rebalancing. By which I mean 1) they actually need to start paying tax and 2) the tax has to be comparable with the tax paid by non-online businesses. 

2 hours ago, ElPapasito said:

Fine by me, minus Radio 1-3, world service, and drama. And definitely minus the comedy.

I have not used any BBC service for a long time but I would be happy to pay for the above even without using them. Obviously the bias is another issue but this would be a great start.

3 hours ago, zugzwang said:

That is a bit harsh. I do not have Netflix or Amazon Prime but I have seen them and they seem pretty good and reasonsably priced. They do need to pay some damn tax though like domestic entities. I do not see why on earth this money should go to the BBC though.

1 hour ago, AdamoMucci said:

That is a bit harsh. I do not have Netflix or Amazon Prime but I have seen them and they seem pretty good and reasonsably priced. They do need to pay some damn tax though like domestic entities. I do not see why on earth this money should go to the BBC though.

I've had a Netflix sub in the past. Meh. No longer shop with Amazon as a matter of principle.