House Price Crash Forum
sammersmith

Tenant fee for providing a reference?

Informed letting agent that i'm moving out and they want £30 for providing a reference. Exact text below:

Should you require a landlord reference for your new tenancy, please note that there is an administration fee of £25.00 + VAT. 

This payment is required prior to the completion of your reference and payment can be made over the phone or via a bank transfer. Please provide the reference company with our email address to enable us to complete on your behalf.

I've experienced (many times) a fee from a new agent to request a reference but never heard of a fee from the existing agent to provide one! As i understand it the work to complete this is a checkbox exercise with Rentshield, who i know they use as they used Rentshield to request a reference from my previous letting agent (who did this without a fee).

There's nothing about this fee in the tenancy agreement and i can't find any fee info on their website. All tenant fees are dubious IMO but this is a new one on me. 

I was reading around that the letting agent is required to surrender all data it has for a nominal £10 fee if demanded, but all the links around this seem dead.  Does this fee break some form of data protection requirement? 

52 minutes ago, sammersmith said:

Informed letting agent that i'm moving out and they want £30 for providing a reference. Exact text below:

I've experienced (many times) a fee from a new agent to request a reference but never heard of a fee from the existing agent to provide one! As i understand it the work to complete this is a checkbox exercise with Rentshield, who i know they use as they used Rentshield to request a reference from my previous letting agent (who did this without a fee).

There's nothing about this fee in the tenancy agreement and i can't find any fee info on their website. All tenant fees are dubious IMO but this is a new one on me. 

I was reading around that the letting agent is required to surrender all data it has for a nominal £10 fee if demanded, but all the links around this seem dead.  Does this fee break some form of data protection requirement? 

Just shows the industry for what it is.

Has the new agent specifically asked for Rentshield to be used for referencing?

If not I'd contact your current agent and ask for all your personal and financial details which you are entitled to for free under GDPR and then send that over to the new agent as your reference.