Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sausage

Rent rise or move out

Recommended Posts

Had message from landlord. Rent is going up from 825 to 900 pcm if we stay past this contract (ends in two months). House is shabby, no central heating, but we're settled, 2 young kids 5 & 7. Don't want to move... But if we do, he'd be forced to do it up to get the next tenant I reckon.

 

FFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sausage said:

Had message from landlord. Rent is going up from 825 to 900 pcm if we stay past this contract (ends in two months). House is shabby, no central heating, but we're settled, 2 young kids 5 & 7. Don't want to move... But if we do, he'd be forced to do it up to get the next tenant I reckon.

FFS

What's the market rent? I tolerated a rise from my previous LL because it was still under what I could replace for like for like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sausage said:

Had message from landlord. Rent is going up from 825 to 900 pcm if we stay past this contract (ends in two months). House is shabby, no central heating, but we're settled, 2 young kids 5 & 7. Don't want to move... But if we do, he'd be forced to do it up to get the next tenant I reckon.

 

FFS

 

10% increase. I guess he has a BTL mortgage. He is taking the p as you know given the condition you describe. I am sure you would call his bluff with out the kids to think about. Only you can decide for your personal situation but man I would like to leave him with an empty place that needs doing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AdamoMucci said:

 

10% increase. I guess he has a BTL mortgage. He is taking the p as you know given the condition you describe. I am sure you would call his bluff with out the kids to think about. Only you can decide for your personal situation but man I would like to leave him with an empty place that needs doing up.

I agree you should call his bluff. Could you set up a gofundme page for the moving costs? It sounds like a hardship case to me. That is a fair whack of a rent increase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100% depends on your local market and what you can afford.

he probably only just got his tax bills land, and wants to sell up or jack up rents. Given he is probably wanting to sell up the threat of a void wont be that huge. 

if you can find something suitable close by i would call his bluff, give notice and say you cant stay without a 3% rent reduction. I have done this before. 

previously i paid £5 more in rent a month that what was required, then when they tried to jack up my rents i said no, and asked for the over payments back (they mounted up). and low and behold i got the rent reduction.

its a cold market, and your just human grease in the wheels.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen newly decorated places with GCH for £925. It's just the hassle... Moving and dismantling the furniture and white goods. He's offering a 12mth contract, with the rent increasing after 4 months. I'm fully expecting to buy in the spring/autumn so dont want two house moves.

I've said to the landlord we'll accept the rent rise if heating is sorted (it's electric heating, but no timer and dodgy thermostat). I'm happy for him not to sort it, but only if rent stays the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be careful looking at the asking rents - I got 15% off the asking rent back in 2015 and it hasn't changed since.  No way will I pay an increase.  The kitchen /bathroom are very dated and the sliding doors to the garden don't close properly.  The latter point will be an issue for the energy performance requirements on re-letting.  If they do the place up then yes I will consider paying more.

I would move and make the landlord regret his greed....but then I am stubborn and prepared for a lose - lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possibly not an either/or decision, there may be a middle option.  If you state that you will continue the tenancy but only at the existing rent then they may* accept it and renew on this basis.  Assuming that they could find a new tenant at £900, it's probably going to be empty for a month so they'd make little or nothing extra.

I've never had a rent rise slapped on me mid-term during years of renting, as most letting agents/landlords are sensible enough to understand this concept.

Or there's a possible middle-middle option, in that you could offer rent somewhere between the two numbers, e.g. £850.

You need to be assertive (not aggressive), as you are the one paying the money so should be the one in control of the situation.

* Depending on the landlord being a logical, reasonable human being.  Landlord and reasonable may be mutually exclusive terms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sausage said:

Had message from landlord. Rent is going up from 825 to 900 pcm if we stay past this contract (ends in two months). House is shabby, no central heating, but we're settled, 2 young kids 5 & 7. Don't want to move... But if we do, he'd be forced to do it up to get the next tenant I reckon.

 

FFS

Can I ask how long you've been there and whether there have been other rises over that period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And yes... Perhaps also offer that you would continue at £900 subject to this list of jobs being completed by (insert date here)...

Or alternatively you are prepared to offer £825 for another 12 months without these jobs being done.

The rent rise is £900/month, so make your list of jobs less than this if you want it doing or more if you want lower rent.

Take control of the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sausage said:

I've seen newly decorated places with GCH for £925. It's just the hassle... Moving and dismantling the furniture and white goods. He's offering a 12mth contract, with the rent increasing after 4 months. I'm fully expecting to buy in the spring/autumn so dont want two house moves.

I've said to the landlord we'll accept the rent rise if heating is sorted (it's electric heating, but no timer and dodgy thermostat). I'm happy for him not to sort it, but only if rent stays the same.

If you don't want 2 house moves - and you'll clearly need 1 to move into the house you're going to purchase - you may as well just stick where you are.

Just meet him in the middle or suck it up and try to buy a bit sooner. I'm not sure why you need to wait until next spring if you are certain you are going to buy. You won't know what the market is doing in a years time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the bravado here about landlords not being able to raise rents and to tell any landlord who tries, to take a walk, the simple fact is that moving is a major, major hassle and expense for many renters (especially if settled with kids) and they are vulnerable to being squeezed.

 

OP, I'd be tempted to look around and see what the proposed new rent gets you locally.  If it's much better then consider using that as a bargaining chip when negotiating over the rise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

If you don't want 2 house moves - and you'll clearly need 1 to move into the house you're going to purchase - you may as well just stick where you are.

Just meet him in the middle or suck it up and try to buy a bit sooner. I'm not sure why you need to wait until next spring if you are certain you are going to buy. You won't know what the market is doing in a years time.

Sorry I should've said hopeful rather than certain... I've been hopeful for 10yrs now 😂

I would like our next move to be our last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

For all the bravado here about landlords not being able to raise rents and to tell any landlord who tries, to take a walk, the simple fact is that moving is a major, major hassle and expense for many renters (especially if settled with kids) and they are vulnerable to being squeezed.

Yes it is a lot of hassle but you can still tell the landlord to take a walk. I have a friend who has refused a rent rise for 2 years now. The landlord has just backed down so far.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, GeneCernan said:

Cause it as much inconvenience possible. Vermin the lot of them.

Yeah, I'd do that. If you are buying soon then just refuse the rent hike and refuse to move. If he tries to evict you just point out the state of the place. If it ends up in court, which would be in winter by then, the Judge would side with you because the heating doesn't work for one thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Kirk said:

Yeah, I'd do that. If you are buying soon then just refuse the rent hike and refuse to move. If he tries to evict you just point out the state of the place. If it ends up in court, which would be in winter by then, the Judge would side with you because the heating doesn't work for one thing.

That's actually a good point. If you are not needing a place to rent next - so no need of any references etc.. - then who cares. Just spell it out to the LL and they will no doubt back down. Not worth the hassle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sausage said:

Had message from landlord. Rent is going up from 825 to 900 pcm if we stay past this contract (ends in two months). House is shabby, no central heating, but we're settled, 2 young kids 5 & 7. Don't want to move... But if we do, he'd be forced to do it up to get the next tenant I reckon.

 

FFS

Can you appeal the rent increase? I thought there was a mechanism for doing this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rantnrave said:

Can I ask how long you've been there and whether there have been other rises over that period.

Lived in tidier but identical house 3 doors up, same landlord (well his parents, they passed over the reins) since 2011. Moved to this one in 2014, long story, not out of choice! Rent has gone from 730 ... 800 ... 825 since 2011. Has been a bit below market rate, and no inventory/protected deposit which I accepted as a useful bargaining tool for future use. Now though 900 is bang on market rate, but for a poor house.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, oatbake said:

Can you appeal the rent increase? I thought there was a mechanism for doing this?

You should have the right to appeal - especially if you are renting through a letting agent. Even if you lose the appeal, it will buy you some time  - perhaps even enough until you want to move.

Even though our rent is way below "market value" for the area (by about £400 pcm!) the last time they gave notice of a rent increase we put up a fight - the house was shabby, peeling paint on the stair railings, 70s kitchen with rotting cupboards, etc. Also the rent was going up by over 10% which was much more than our wages had increased in the past 3 years. It worked to some extent - the rent did go up, but only after they had refitted the kitchen and repainted the whole interior of the house, which took over 9 months to achieve. 

Edit to add: After the rent increase, they also found us slightly less forthcoming on the "goodwill" side of things. Whereas before we had been happy to carry out minor repairs ourselves (fixing small plumbing problems, broken door to the shed, etc.) they found the plumber started being called in far more often than before.

Edited by FedupTeddiBear
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FedupTeddiBear said:

You should have the right to appeal - especially if you are renting through a letting agent. Even if you lose the appeal, it will buy you some time  - perhaps even enough until you want to move.

Even though our rent is way below "market value" for the area (by about £400 pcm!) the last time they gave notice of a rent increase we put up a fight - the house was shabby, peeling paint on the stair railings, 70s kitchen with rotting cupboards, etc. Also the rent was going up by over 10% which was much more than our wages had increased in the past 3 years. It worked to some extent - the rent did go up, but only after they had refitted the kitchen and repainted the whole interior of the house, which took over 9 months to achieve. 

No agency involved. Who do we appeal to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 192 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.