House Price Crash Forum
Si1

Spectacular NIMBYism

2 hours ago, guest_northshore said:

what they forget is Borough of Broxbourne is spending tens of thousands a week housing the homeless, all paid for by the objectors..

27 minutes ago, monkeyman1974 said:

what they forget is Borough of Broxbourne is spending tens of thousands a week housing the homeless, all paid for by the objectors..

I doubt it, those objectors don't look like high income tax payers to me, which is where most personal taxes come from in this country.

Edited by Si1

11 hours ago, Si1 said:

I doubt it, those objectors don't look like high income tax payers to me, which is where most personal taxes come from in this country.

true, but homelessness is the statutory responsibility for the Borough, so it comes from Council tax

1 hour ago, monkeyman1974 said:

true, but homelessness is the statutory responsibility for the Borough, so it comes from Council tax

And council tax is massively supplemented by govt top ups isn't it? (I could be wrong)

51 minutes ago, monkeyman1974 said:

its about 50/50 from central grant / locally sourced

So the answer's halfway then :)

Other thing, council tax property tax is a bit disproportional these days isn't it? As a proportion of property value it's more for lower priced houses than higher priced houses isn't it? So again three middle class NIMBYs sent really paying these costs in proportion. All grey areas and arguable....

13 hours ago, monkeyman1974 said:

Not really sure what point you're making? Homeowners pay council tax because thay have a home/land - effectively some compensation back to society for the right to exclude, backed by property law and related institutions. I'm sure the homeless would welcome the same opportunity, but our system's purposefully constructed as a catch-22.

14 hours ago, monkeyman1974 said:

its about 50/50 from central grant / locally sourced

I believe Depends on the council...Kensington can raise more locally and need less grant whilst Workington will need more grant....suposed to work out 50/50 on average...

Why do the NIMBYs always press gang their kids into these protests...they are unlikely to have a firm grasp of the issues...I think it is sickening when you see them dragged along to object to house building...

7 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Why do the NIMBYs always press gang their kids into these protests...they are unlikely to have a firm grasp of the issues...I think it is sickening when you see them dragged along to object to house building...

+1

I'm not sure the NIMBYs have s firm grasp either however.

I think to answer your central question though, NIMBYs are unpleasant people driven by their egos over logic. That's entirely consistent with roping your kids into the same deluded world.

Edited by Si1

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

All but one of the adults in view is obese (some of the kids look like they're going that way too) and although they probably could wave a sign and chant (which might give them some exercise) they can't be bothered (which is why they are obese) and don't want to look silly what with all the keeping up with the Jones.

The only guy who looks normal BMI appears on the still photograph to the left, almost off shot, in shorts, black clothes with a beard, crouching down with what looks like a baby arm offering some crisps to his face.

BabyArmCrispsinFace.jpg.64b94ffeb75e96637c789dccf9a54ff2.jpg

On 15/08/2018 at 19:09, monkeyman1974 said:

what they forget is Borough of Broxbourne is spending tens of thousands a week housing the homeless.

...and statins for the NIMBies.

Edited by Arpeggio

11 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

All but one of the adults in view is obese (some of the kids look like they're going that way too)

Interesting...!  is there a positive correlation between Nimbyism and obesity !!  Why might this be??  Are Nimbys selfish and greedy and is this mirrored in their eating habits I wonder?

48 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Interesting...!  is there a positive correlation between Nimbyism and obesity !!  Why might this be??  Are Nimbys selfish and greedy and is this mirrored in their eating habits I wonder?

I wondered that too but didn’t mention. Excercise and fondness of HPI require opposite states of mind. Not to say the same person can’t have the two but perhaps less likely.

Edited by Arpeggio

1 hour ago, Arpeggio said:

I wondered that too but didn’t mention. Excercise and fondness of HPI require opposite states of mind. Not to say the same person can’t have the two but perhaps less likely.

A basic lack of self discipline.

Moar houses/debt. Moar for me. Less for others. Dog in the manger.

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 09:11, guest_northshore said:

Not really sure what point you're making? Homeowners pay council tax because thay have a home/land - effectively some compensation back to society for the right to exclude, backed by property law and related institutions. I'm sure the homeless would welcome the same opportunity, but our system's purposefully constructed as a catch-22.

that the council tax would be less if the homeless were housed more cost effectively

On 20/08/2018 at 00:06, monkeyman1974 said:

that the council tax would be less if the homeless were housed more cost effectively

I don't think council tax would be less, but excuse my mild rant as I had the wrong end of the stick.

On 16/08/2018 at 22:26, Wayward said:

Come along timmy, we need to go and stop these houses being built so the village will be quiet and unspoilt when you leave home and have to drive 50 miles to visit us.

8 hours ago, Kilham said:

Come along timmy, we need to go and stop these houses being built so the village will be quiet and unspoilt when you leave home and have to drive 50 miles to visit us.

+1

9 hours ago, Kilham said:

He'll still have to drive 50 miles because there still won't be any jobs there thanks to all the pressures towards centralisation, but at least the place won't turn in to another flabby, bland patch of lifeless housing. If you're worried about places for people to live then direct your effort towards population growth, not people trying to stop their living environment going downhill.

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

He'll still have to drive 50 miles because there still won't be any jobs there thanks to all the pressures towards centralisation, but at least the place won't turn in to another flabby, bland patch of lifeless housing. If you're worried about places for people to live then direct your effort towards population growth, not people trying to stop their living environment going downhill.

I did I voted for a party that wanted to stop population growth (UKIP) but sadly very few others did and instead voted for more growth.

15 hours ago, Kilham said:

They are campaigning against house building 50 miles away too...more likely Timmy will have to stay at home until his parents down size and Timmy aged 51 will have to move into a squalid HMO.