House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ravedave

Starting Self Investment

Hello,

I've invested most of my savings in an S&S ISA via an IFA which I am happy with.

I also have about £50k in savings in a savings account which are doing terribly.  In the next 1 - 2 years I plan to purchase a property.

I am looking to starting investing some money as a means of becoming more self responsible for my finances.  I have planned to take a sum of £5k and invest it somewhere - probably in a VLS100 fund or its Blackrock equivalent.  I don't intend to go down to investing in shares specifically yet.

I've got a LISA opened with the minimal £100 amount.

What I am dithering about is whether to put the money into the LISA and get the £1k bonus or invest it into a fund without a wrapper so that I have more freedom with it.  I appreciate that I can get the money out for the house purchase if I need it, but I'm not sure if I meet the FTB criteria as a relative has gifted their house to me  (in a far off region) for which I am very grateful.  They will live their for their life before it comes to me.

I'm a lower rate tax payer and as a contractor I take the rest of the money as dividends and pension contributions from my company.

Any advice on whether I should use the LISA or avoid?

Thanks.