House Price Crash Forum

EA antics

FedupTeddiBear

HOLA441

We've been looking around at various houses over quite a wide area - need to move to about an hour away from where we are now as the commute is set to become very long otherwise. The vast majority of EAs have been falling over backwards to book viewings, phoning several times a day, trying to push us into making offers - one has been trying to encourage us to put in multiple offers on several houses at once (??!!) and "Try any offer, you never know..." Another agent "added" several properties on to our viewing last week. I asked to see one, and we ended up being ferried round to see 4, all within 5 minutes' drive of each other. Have to admit it was worth it though. This is in a supposedly high demand commuter area in the SE. 

One has behaved very differently. I refused to book an appointment with their mortgage advisor when I registered. They then set up an appointment anyway, saying that we must call to cancel if we didn't want to meet him. I did just that and cancelled. We went to see two of their properties and put in an offer of -15% on one of them (the one that was applauded by the mortgage advisor at the bank in my other post), which was rejected.

Since then, it has become difficult to arrange viewings with this EA. They first said they were very busy so couldn't arrange a viewing until about a week later (the others are jumping around to set up same-day multiple viewings,) Then when I called to ask for the address the day before the arranged viewing, they said they had no record of the appointment in the diary. Finally, when a viewing was finally confirmed, they called about 2 hours beforehand to cancel it because the owner had accepted an offer (it's still showing up as available on RM.) And finally, "We have very little available in your price range" - I have been very vague with them about what our price range is, and if they are basing it on our last offer, they are wrong. 

HOLA442

They will only play ball if you take out a mortgage via them.  I wonder what would happen if you say you are a cash buyer?  I think I would be tempted to put a note through the seller's door explaining your difficulties? They probably have no idea they may not make a sale because the EA does this.  In this market that could be a disaster.

HOLA443

If it's a chain you may want to write to their CEO and ask if this is group policy. If you don't get a satisfactory response you could follow up in a public space like Twitter to see if that embarresses them enough to change.

Defintely annoying though!

Edited by Bankside

HOLA444
HOLA445
17 hours ago, GreenDevil said:

Your best chnce of securing a property is if

A) you use their morggage advisor

B) youre buying a property on their f or sale books

C) your own pro perty is under off er with them

It certainly seems that way with this bunch. So far we have ticked none of their boxes and they obviously did not approve of our low offer. They have finally arranged a viewing on a house we are keen to see - after I sent a snotty email and made a pest of myself by calling several times. We'll see how it goes now...

It is odd though, that out of about 6 different EAs we have dealt with so far, this is the only one that is behaving like this. All the others seem desperate to sell us one of their properties. Only one of the others "offered" an appointment with their mortgage advisor, who called me himself and agreed within 2 minutes of me telling him my plans that I was not going to get a better deal that the one I had already arranged myself, ending the conversation. 

Janch is right - they are not doing themselves any favours. 

HOLA446
On 13/08/2018 at 14:40, janch said:

They will only play ball if you take out a mortgage via them.  I wonder what would happen if you say you are a cash buyer?  I think I would be tempted to put a note through the seller's door explaining your difficulties? They probably have no idea they may not make a sale because the EA does this.  In this market that could be a disaster.

What about agreeing a mortgage in principle with their mortgage adviser but also a lender of your choosing, and then doing the old switcheroo later down the road? No idea if this is contractually possible.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
On 14/08/2018 at 20:44, Dorkins said:

What about agreeing a mortgage in principle with their mortgage adviser but also a lender of your choosing, and then doing the old switcheroo later down the road? No idea if this is contractually possible.

My FTB daughter agreed to see the EA's mortgage advisor, who said he'd found her the 'best' deal. 

She then found exactly the same mortgage online for two or three hundred less in fees.  Told the advisor, who then said he'd match it. So she went with him.  Also used their recommended conveyancer, which I wouldn't have thought the best idea, but she had no personal recommendation locally.  

The sale was wrapped up extremely quickly  - from offer accepted to completion in 6 weeks, which although I hate to admit it, was probably down to using in house services.  And since she was in an expensive and inconvenient short term rental at the time,  that was a help. 

HOLA4413
On 19/08/2018 at 09:18, Mrs Bear said:

The sale was wrapped up extremely quickly  - from offer accepted to completion in 6 weeks, which although I hate to admit it, was probably down to using in house services. 

+1 - used c*ntryw*de (on-line conveyancer) for selling a house through B*resf*rd Ad*ms. Was impressed with setup, and efficiency - on line access to everything and fully informed. No appointments needed and all info was on-line. Going with the "in house" service meant the EA offered a so called "premium" selling service.

N.B. The above worked for selling - but I'm not sure about buying - I'd probably want to use a local based "face to face" person who knows the area etc

As for EA antics? -  Well I personally see EA types as lazy barrow boys/girls. Theres no point getting annoyed if already know what they are.

As for their tied mortgage brokers? - I see them as needless scum - go elsewhere I'd say - who's to say that you end up buying another house through another EA anyway? - just say to the b*stards that "it is already in hand thank you".

As for solicitors? -  when they ask you for your financial details, what's really going on is the solicitor is sizing you up for the "extra complicated" fees he can charge - Before answering, always make sure you ask what the fees are first and ask for a discount.

HOLA4414
On 13/08/2018 at 11:53, FedupTeddiBear said:

Since then, it has become difficult to arrange viewings with this EA.

It might be just the old salesman technique of making you feel more "obligated" to them.

Never let the EA people think you are someone who has power - they delight in cutting those sort of people down to size.

In the end, houses are shifting, so they don't need to deal with the savvy buyers who only want a bargain (unless you're a tried and trusted property developper who's happy to slip a fiver every now and then - quid pro quo)

HOLA4415

The viewing did go ahead and the gent who took us around was quite polite and friendly, so who knows... Either way, we decided that house wasn't for us so won't arrange a second viewing for it. 

Rockerboy, I'm not sure what you mean by "someone who has power", but from the way the other EAs we have been dealing with have been behaving, I certainly do feel quite powerful! There is definitely the scent of desperation in the air. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
On 15/08/2018 at 22:34, FedupTeddiBear said:I think this lot are stuck in the past. 

What is stopping a potential buyer who faces this odious bullying from writing an anom. “Viewing refused” letter to ALL (realistically 50%) of the Properties on the EA’s books?  This would stop it dead and probably lose a load of instructions as well.

HOLA4418
17 hours ago, FedupTeddiBear said:

Rockerboy, I'm not sure what you mean by "someone who has power", but from the way the other EAs we have been dealing with have been behaving, I certainly do feel quite powerful! There is definitely the scent of desperation in the air. 

Didn't mean anything personal by it  - more a point about the value of being liked in the house viewing/buying process.

Only meant to say that if you want repeat viewings,  be careful to present yourself to everyone as "a young family starting out" than a "hard nosed businessman".

Consider that house sellers give feedback to the EA on people who cone to view? If the house seller reacts non-positively about you,  it reflects badly on the EA (because they are supposed to filter viewers). The EA gets pissed off about you and become reluctant to put you forward for further viewings.

Maybe you presented yourself in a "non-friendly" manner to the house seller when viewing? - The best negotiators are people who the other person "likes" to give a decent deal to.

I don't mean to say that you are one type of person or the other. But its better for EA feedback to be that you're liked by house sellers and "forgiven" for low ball offers don't you think?

Good luck with buying - its stressful enough for everyone involved.

HOLA4419
5 hours ago, rockerboy said:

Didn't mean anything personal by it  - more a point about the value of being liked in the house viewing/buying process.

Only meant to say that if you want repeat viewings,  be careful to present yourself to everyone as "a young family starting out" than a "hard nosed businessman".

Consider that house sellers give feedback to the EA on people who cone to view? If the house seller reacts non-positively about you,  it reflects badly on the EA (because they are supposed to filter viewers). The EA gets pissed off about you and become reluctant to put you forward for further viewings.

Maybe you presented yourself in a "non-friendly" manner to the house seller when viewing? - The best negotiators are people who the other person "likes" to give a decent deal to.

I don't mean to say that you are one type of person or the other. But its better for EA feedback to be that you're liked by house sellers and "forgiven" for low ball offers don't you think?

Good luck with buying - its stressful enough for everyone involved.

Yes, it is very stressful, so thanks. I have been to only 2 viewings where the seller is present, and not with the agent in question, so not sure how they could have a negative impression if they have not even met us.  I am also definitely no "hard-nosed businessman" - probably come across as quite the opposite. 

But, as I mentioned, there has been only one out of about 6 EAs that has behaved negatively and I will try to avoid them in the future.

Most are falling over backwards trying to get us to put an offer in on the property they are selling - some even appear quite desperate. There are now 4 properties we are trying to decide between. All of the EAs selling those have been very eager to arrange extra viewings and find extra information for us. Maybe this is my naivety but when they have asked I have told them about the other ones. They are becoming quite competitive. Two of them have looked their "competitors" up and is each trying to put me off the other properties, (e.g. by warning me about the HUGE amount of work needed on one of them.) A few days ago, the asking price of the most expensive of the 4 dropped by £25k to match that of two of the others. It's been interesting to say the least, but the pressure from all of them to make an offer ASAP is becoming annoying. 

HOLA4420
4 minutes ago, FedupTeddiBear said:

but the pressure from all of them to make an offer ASAP is becoming annoying

That must get old/annoying/tiring/unwanted very quickly. So I do sympathise - hope you can find the energy somewhere to put up with being badgered.

That said: this is a very far cry from the 'someone called 5 minutes ago and put an offer in' annoyance everyone used to get?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4423
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4424

Me and Mrs RR rent and have don (in various countries) since 2003.

We recently had cause to move a short distance on the south coast (Southampton/Pompey area).

The place we rented is not being picked up, EA stated that the LL will need to reduce by up to 200GBP PCM.

Upon further interrogation same EA let on that he had to disappoint a vendor on the probable value of their property....by minus 100k.

Unfortunately this was with Mrs RR...i would have pushed for more information so i dont know the asking.

Without any prompting EA stated that he doesnt "think" there will be a crash......