House Price Crash Forum

Turkish Lira

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest TheBlueCat

When your currency does this over a decade period and you have extensive debts in foreign currencies, something will eventually have to give:

1948282337_Screenshotfrom2018-08-1112-11-13.png.665e25a4916c24fe012fd918f9b95646.png

Edited by TheBlueCat

HOLA446
13 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

When your currency does this over a decade period and you have extensive debts in foreign currencies, something will eventually have to give:

So Trump is prepared to turn this strategically important NATO ally (they control Russian access to the Med) away from the west and into the arms of Putin??? Standby for some major Russian construction works on the coast line of the Med or Aegean sea, the closer to any potential oil pipeline terminals the better....or close to Israel...in exchange for financial support.

Better still, hows about some naval bases for the Chinese Navy! I am sure they would love to help the Turks out in exchange for a military presence in the Med. It could even be the terminal for a trans Eurasian railway (via Iran and a few "stans").

HOLA447
3 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

So Trump is prepared to turn this strategically important NATO ally (they control Russian access to the Med) away from the west and into the arms of Putin??? Standby for some major Russian construction works on the coast line of the Med or Aegean sea, the closer to any potential oil pipeline terminals the better....or close to Israel...in exchange for financial support.

Better still, hows about some naval bases for the Chinese Navy! I am sure they would love to help the Turks out in exchange for a military presence in the Med. It could even be the terminal for a trans Eurasian railway (via Iran and a few "stans").

The Russians and Chinese IIRC were much touted in the Greek crisis. In the end though they didn't turn up. There's a reason for that. They have no leverage if a member of NATO decides not to pay them back.

HOLA448
3 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

The Russians and Chinese IIRC were much touted in the Greek crisis. In the end though they didn't turn up. There's a reason for that. They have no leverage if a member of NATO decides not to pay them back.

mmmm....and how long do we think that Turkey will be part of that outdated organization?

HOLA449
5 hours ago, Roman Roady said:

Won’t the Chinese belt and road project enter Europe via Turkey then Greece anyway? I think they’re ahead of the ball here...

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
On 11/08/2018 at 23:21, SOLZHENITSYN said:

Won’t the Chinese belt and road project enter Europe via Turkey then Greece anyway? I think they’re ahead of the ball here...

No.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38497997

'The service will pass through Kazakhstan, Russia, Belarus, Poland, Germany, Belgium and France before arriving at Barking Rail Freight Terminal in East London, which is directly connected to the High Speed 1 rail line to the European mainland. '

HOLA4412
On 11/08/2018 at 17:34, Roman Roady said:

It's more to do with the fact that the US doesn't want an equal ally, it wants Turkey to bend the knee and prostrate itself before the glory that is the United States. Turk Stream pipeline and Turkey buying S400 Russian kit is just not acceptable from the US perspective.

But yes, it is as you say a grave miscalculation. It continues to show the US for what it is - a bully, prepared to use the reserve currency as a weapon of war. Expect the BRICS and others to continue making progress in ending the use of the dollar in trade.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

No.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38497997

'The service will pass through Kazakhstan, Russia, Belarus, Poland, Germany, Belgium and France before arriving at Barking Rail Freight Terminal in East London, which is directly connected to the High Speed 1 rail line to the European mainland. '

That service is just one piece of the OBOR jigsaw.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/10/turkish-lira-loss-deepens-as-pm-erdogan-calls-for-citizens-to-convert-.html

Erdogan asks Turks to take any gold and foreign currency they have to the bank to exchange it for Lira. This article is from Friday but apparently he asked a second time on Friday or today.

I wonder how many Turks will be silly enough to do that.

I smell confiscation coming!

Its all happening.

HOLA4418

Kremlin Backs Turkish Plan to Dump the Dollar and Trade in National Currencies

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/kremlin-wants-to-dump-the-dollar-and-trade-in-national-currencies-1.6367704

Erdogan announces Turkey is preparing to conduct trade through national currencies with China, Russia and Ukraine as ties with the U.S. continue to crumble.

Who's the Daddy?

putin.jpg

HOLA4419
10 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Kremlin Backs Turkish Plan to Dump the Dollar and Trade in National Currencies

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/kremlin-wants-to-dump-the-dollar-and-trade-in-national-currencies-1.6367704

Erdogan announces Turkey is preparing to conduct trade through national currencies with China, Russia and Ukraine as ties with the U.S. continue to crumble.

Who's the Daddy?

putin.jpg

Odd considering Trump and Putin are colluding. I am sure people will manage to engage in some sort of intellectual gymnastics though. Just like they will somehow tell themselves Trump pressuring Nato to spend more is doing Putins bidding somehow. More clear evidence of Trump Putin collusion is where Trump shamed Germany regarding gas that it purchases mainly from Russsia.

Laughable infotainment.

Edited by AdamoMucci

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
21 hours ago, AdamoMucci said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/10/turkish-lira-loss-deepens-as-pm-erdogan-calls-for-citizens-to-convert-.html

Erdogan asks Turks to take any gold and foreign currency they have to the bank to exchange it for Lira. This article is from Friday but apparently he asked a second time on Friday or today.

I wonder how many Turks will be silly enough to do that.

I smell confiscation coming!

Its all happening.

That worked in South Korea, enabling them to avoid loans from the IMF and protect young companies like Samsung from international competition. I don't think lightning strikes twice but you never know.

HOLA4422
On 13/08/2018 at 20:11, spyguy said:

The belt and road thing is just a random scatter of projects to demonstrate chinese prowess at infrastructure.

Itll all fall down....

That’s not what you said though, you responded to me by saying “no” that the belt and road initiative (BRI) doesn’t pass through Turkey, then showed an incomplete map of the Belt & Road project. It does pass through Turkey and you were wrong. Rather than just admit that, you now casually shrug it off - oh well it’ll fall down anyway. 

You were wrong on your first point and you’ll likely be wrong on your second. Time it right and you could be looking at an amazing entry point to invest in Turkey.

” Turkey's unique position in the BRI makes the country a gate to Europe and Africa for China's trade operations on the project's route. Therefore, Kolbaşı highlighted that Turkey will naturally become a logistics hub for trade on the three continents.”

https://www.dailysabah.com/economy/2018/06/30/turkey-sees-a-sudden-spike-in-chinese-investments-through-belt-and-road-initiative

“The 525-mile Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project will halve the time it takes to move goods from China to Turkey and is a crucial part of China’s One Belt One Road infrastructure initiative to modernise Eurasian transport routes and thus reshape global trade. The line will bypass Russia.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/turkey-hails-link-in-new-silk-road-baku-tbilisi-kars-turkey-azerbaijan-asia-dghzslks8

HOLA4423

I know someone that works for the bank of Iran in London. The only way they can pay their wages is either cash, or a Turkish bank.

I wouldn't be surprised if Turkey's problems stem from some link to Iran that the American's aren't happy about.

FYI they've spent half their life battling American policy. Will go to meetings with other banks and the American's will be exiting the room as they arrive, after having words and everything is off the table. Nobody will work with them.

Edited by honkydonkey

HOLA4424

Turkey is probably lost & it happened the moment they elected that idiot.

As for the US being a bully - it's about time Europe woke up and smelled the coffee, we live in a world full of bullies, so being a pussycat won't cut it.

The UK might be pretty isolated from risk as we have a sea border, a semi-decent military, a fairly effective nuclear deterrent, and a national reputation for violence - but as a continent, Europe's comfortable position in the world has been bought with US might for 70 years.

That little rat Erdogan wouldn't be trash taking religious war if the yanks or the Russians shut a few mosques.

HOLA4425
7 hours ago, disenfranchised said:

Turkey is probably lost & it happened the moment they elected that idiot.

As for the US being a bully - it's about time Europe woke up and smelled the coffee, we live in a world full of bullies, so being a pussycat won't cut it.

The UK might be pretty isolated from risk as we have a sea border, a semi-decent military, a fairly effective nuclear deterrent, and a national reputation for violence - but as a continent, Europe's comfortable position in the world has been bought with US might for 70 years.

That little rat Erdogan wouldn't be trash taking religious war if the yanks or the Russians shut a few mosques.

Good post. Agreed.