Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Another raffle - We're not giving it away.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, highYield said:

I've complained to the Gambling Commission about similar high value lotteries in the past that didn't have a skills based component. It's worth doing, even though the GC don't provide feedback. 

 If you see a house lottery without a skill component, then please contact the Gambling Commission

This dancers hill house one makes me laugh, It appears as a "game of skill" competition but doesn't let you enter the competition (online) with an incorrect answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Timbuk3 said:

Saw it in the gazette

https://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/entrants-told-to-apply-for-refund-after-raffle-to-win-500-000-yorkshire-home-closes-1-9518323

They seem upset

This is despite independent legal advice we obtained to the contrary. It is also after a period of over 4 months of silence from the Commission, despite being told of our competition on 30th July 2018. In their leaflet published 03/18 the Commission states that although they will not approve or help develop such competitions they will act IMMEDIATELY on any obvious concerns. They did not contact us immediately in spite of the fact that it is their role to monitor such competitions.

Now it might come as a surprise to them that the GC is not set up to give a timely response to idiots harebrained schemed. Or provide immediate response.

They dont seem to consider that their independent legal advice might be sh1t. Id avoid the chamber their son works - see faqs - as id guess it had his genius legal mind...

My solution to these lotteries is insist the draw goes ahead after 6 months, irrespective of how many tickets are sold. All entrants have a right to demand an indrpendent review of the process and verification that all entries are entered in the draw.


 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Her husband said on the website: “As you will have seen, my wife and I have been through a lot over the last three years and it was hoped that this would give us the break we need. Unfortunately, we are back to square one.”

On Thursday, Robert Smith said the Gambling Commission had been aware of the competition in July but only informed him of its decision a few days before Christmas.

He said: “This has been our worst Christmas in 48 years of marriage. But we’ve just got to try and pick ourselves up.”

 

Youd have though that the first xmas after their daughter died would have been the worse. But im not a greedy property obseesed oap....

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Her husband said on the website: “As you will have seen, my wife and I have been through a lot over the last three years and it was hoped that this would give us the break we need. Unfortunately, we are back to square one.”

On Thursday, Robert Smith said the Gambling Commission had been aware of the competition in July but only informed him of its decision a few days before Christmas.

He said: “This has been our worst Christmas in 48 years of marriage. But we’ve just got to try and pick ourselves up.”

 

Youd have though that the first xmas after their daughter died would have been the worse. But im not a greedy property obseesed oap....

In their original email announcing the closure of the raffle they said they were open for offers. Does anyone want to offer them £500? - I want my offer of £1000 in a month or 2 to look reasonable

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Council estate capitalist said:

This dancers hill house one makes me laugh, It appears as a "game of skill" competition but doesn't let you enter the competition (online) with an incorrect answer.

Sadly by being having a free draw element (and a single first class stamp is just about a valid request) we can't stop them. 

For a while back in the 1980's the What Hi-fi competion was won by people who used elaborately large envelopes and boxes... I'm tempted to see how big an envelope I can find and enter just to see if the same trick works....

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Nice of them to play the "Aw, you're denying Cancer Research money by stopping us!" card.

This had me reeling:

Quote

They also hoped to raise up to £60,000 for Cancer Research UK through the sale.

Avril Smith had cancer 10 years ago and the couple also lost their daughter three years ago.

He said: “This [2018] has been our worst Christmas in 48 years of marriage. But we’ve just got to try and pick ourselves up.”

Yes, he really said that.

Being told you can't raffle your house is WORSE than having cancer, and WORSE than your daughter dying.

:(

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spyguy said:

Her husband said on the website: “As you will have seen, my wife and I have been through a lot over the last three years and it was hoped that this would give us the break we need. Unfortunately, we are back to square one.”

On Thursday, Robert Smith said the Gambling Commission had been aware of the competition in July but only informed him of its decision a few days before Christmas.

He said: “This has been our worst Christmas in 48 years of marriage. But we’ve just got to try and pick ourselves up.”

 

Youd have though that the first xmas after their daughter died would have been the worse. But im not a greedy property obseesed oap....

agree. you beat me to it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bravo to the poster who reported them, glad to see their plan has been foiled. Though it seems the refund isn't automatic and has to be applied for. Presumably they'll be donating any unclaimed funds to Cancer Research and not pocketing it themselves?

On a separate note, we should compile a list of all housing raffles that have a free or SAE option for entering to be sure they get as many entries as possible! Are there any more besides https://www.windancershillhouse.com/?product=raffle-ticket

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

Aside from the legality, I'm still puzzled as to why this is such a hot-button here. The housing mess has not been caused or contributed to, afaik, by stupid house lotteries.

Raffles always stem from vendors refusing to accept their property is worth less than they think

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Raffles always stem from vendors refusing to accept their property is worth less than they think

Well, in fairness, if they can get what they want via a raffle, then they're sort-of right.

I get it - they're twats, but, as they have minimal responsibility for our current mess, personally, I'd rather reserve my wrath for over-indebted, badly-behaved LLs, plus most past and present incumbents of No. 11.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen numerous house auctions but have never seen any details of how the fairness of the draw will be monitored.  The huge risk with unofficial lucky draw competitions is that the winner will be a stooge who hands it back to them for a fee.

Do they seriously think it's OK for them to collect a ton of money then just send a "The winner is..." email?

This is why the National Lottery go to great lengths to test their machines, have an official drawmaster, televise it etc etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rantnrave said:

Raffles always stem from vendors refusing to accept their property is worth less than they think

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17335002.prizes-withdrawn-after-organisers-fail-to-sell-enough-tickets-but-theres-a-cash-prize-instead/

Oh dear - not another raffle gone sour?

Let's just hope the organisers come away with a nice wedge for all their efforts...

 

I liked the EA in the Comments section who said business had never been so bad in fifty years..

Edited by juvenal
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/01/2019 at 16:28, juvenal said:

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17335002.prizes-withdrawn-after-organisers-fail-to-sell-enough-tickets-but-theres-a-cash-prize-instead/

Oh dear - not another raffle gone sour?

Let's just hope the organisers come away with a nice wedge for all their efforts...

 

I liked the EA in the Comments section who said business had never been so bad in fifty years..

A friend told me about this.

They were in cahoots wit hthe local papers too - full page 'Win a dream house ads' etcetc etc.

https://www.wowhaus.co.uk/2018/04/06/win-a-huf-haus-avon-place-hampshire-raffle-ticket/

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2019 at 20:44, spyguy said:

Saw it in the gazette

https://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/entrants-told-to-apply-for-refund-after-raffle-to-win-500-000-yorkshire-home-closes-1-9518323

They seem upset

This is despite independent legal advice we obtained to the contrary. It is also after a period of over 4 months of silence from the Commission, despite being told of our competition on 30th July 2018. In their leaflet published 03/18 the Commission states that although they will not approve or help develop such competitions they will act IMMEDIATELY on any obvious concerns. They did not contact us immediately in spite of the fact that it is their role to monitor such competitions.

For the Whitby House, the Gambling Commission have clarified that they shut down the raffle as the question - " “What year did the North Yorkshire Railway open? " was too easy as it was easily Googleable, and therefore the entry was not a game of skill.

By that mark most other raffles will fail too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/01/2019 at 16:28, juvenal said:

Matter of skill aside, I'm assuming that there's a legal reason why someone other than Camelot can't set up a national lottery where they keep 25% of the proceeds, with nothing going to "good causes" or taxation.

The house has almost become irrelevant - basically take in a pile of cash, give 75% out as a prize and keep 25%.  It really can't be that simple, otherwise everyone would be doing it.

There are alternative lotteries (health, postcode lottery etc) but they go to great lengths to jump through various legal hurdles to keep it legal, e.g. they say in the smallprint that it's a network of local lotteries, not a national one.  It is national, but they've obviously felt the need to go to the trouble and expense of setting up these complicated arrangements, presumably because they have to.

Regardless, I'm sure they must pay lots of tax and also have some sort of ring-fencing for the prize fund.

These house raffles absolutely must be illegal, possibly for multiple reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Little Professor said:

For the Whitby House, the Gambling Commission have clarified that they shut down the raffle as the question - " “What year did the North Yorkshire Railway open? " was too easy as it was easily Googleable, and therefore the entry was not a game of skill.

By that mark most other raffles will fail too.

Interesting. I reported one of these raffles a while back. It too had a similarly easy question but they replied telling me that there was no problem, due to the presence of the question.

I wonder if they've been given some "clarification" of the rules to enforce.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Failing forcing the house to be raffled after 6 months, no matter how many tickets have sold.

These raffles need to be refunding all tickets, at the rafflers cost.

Make the cost of a failed raffle very very very expensive.

Loo, these are greedy idiots.

They dont grasp the law on raffles, so their understanding of win a house (or house prize) will be similarly vague.

Iwould encourage anyone entering to ask for their stake money back and compensation.

The ringwood one was even more interesting/shameless thanthe whitby one.

According to a make  is that several local papers were running front page 'Win a dream house!' ads, inc. full page ads. i.e. the, like EA housing, local papers were totally bought and compromised.

Make the cost of this con verty very expensive.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who's bought a ticket for a house should be entered into a draw to win a house.  If not then they should get a full refund.  Anyone who bought a ticket should report them to trading standards for not providing what was promised at the time of purchase.

They want it all their own way - if they don't sell enough then they'll give away less.  I bet they wouldn't have given away two houses if they'd sold double the expected number of tickets.

Entrants can't even see audited figures for how many tickets were sold.  For all anyone knows, they could sell 10,000 tickets, give away a £1000 prize and keep the rest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ringwood one was featured on BBC South Today this evening.  The prize money only ended up being £110k out of the £750k made on ticket sales.

Reporter buzzes their gate intercom and asked why they made more out of it than the prize winner and the bloke said if you work out their time spent on it they earned just over minimum wage.  Then he told the reporter to go away or he would call the police.

Scammer fckers!!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, elephant said:

The Ringwood one was featured on BBC South Today this evening.  The prize money only ended up being £110k out of the £750k made on ticket sales.

Reporter buzzes their gate intercom and asked why they made more out of it than the prize winner and the bloke said if you work out their time spent on it they earned just over minimum wage.  Then he told the reporter to go away or he would call the police.

Scammer fckers!!

 

 

Did I hear correctly? Admin and promotion allegedly cost 600K???

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.