House Price Crash Forum
Bruce Banner

Another raffle - We're not giving it away.

34 minutes ago, juvenal said:

The top prize handed out after this week’s draw was just over £110,000, meaning promotion costs must have amounted to some £600,000. The exact figure has not been revealed.

In their terms and conditions, the Beresfords stated that any cash prize would be to the value to 75 per cent of the ticket sales, after promotion costs were taken out.

I hope theyve kept the receipts.

On the other raffle there was a statement that they'd keep up to 25% - this one said they'd definitely keep 25%, plus an undisclosed additional proportion!  You couldn't make this stuff up, surely anyone with any sense can see that this is fraud hiding behind a few contract terms.

It seems the house is a prefab...

The house in Ringwood, Hampshire, is a Huf Haus, meaning it is a distinctive glass and wood property built by the German company of the same name, which can be constructed within days.

Do they setup a special purpose vehicle for the raffle? Surely must do else the risks are massive!

IMO the likelihood of selling all the tickets is was 0 and to get it closer to 1 costs too much in promotion costs etc. Wonder how they choose who they worked with?

Edited by Ash4781

49 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

It seems the house is a prefab...

The house in Ringwood, Hampshire, is a Huf Haus, meaning it is a distinctive glass and wood property built by the German company of the same name, which can be constructed within days.

German prefab.

They are very good.

Not some wood with thin plaster nissan hut.

4 hours ago, Tes Tickle said:

On the other raffle there was a statement that they'd keep up to 25% - this one said they'd definitely keep 25%, plus an undisclosed additional proportion!  You couldn't make this stuff up, surely anyone with any sense can see that this is fraud hiding behind a few contract terms.

Having an invalid clause invalidates the entire conteact.

Needs a class action, suing for refund and legal costs.

8 hours ago, juvenal said:

“The draw was made by a random number selector computer at Sterling Lottery Management, which is approved and audited by both the Gambling Commission and PwC.

It selected 100 tickets and local MP Christopher Chope drew the winner from that number.”

Oh here we go.Roll eyes.

8 hours ago, Si1 said:

The top prize handed out after this week’s draw was just over £110,000, meaning promotion costs must have amounted to some £600,000. The exact figure has not been revealed.

The big issue here in my view is at what point does the finger get pointed at this greedy couple and say "well mate, your business plan was at fault here and was s***, the losses come out of your pocket and the prize money goes to the ticket holders"

This goes on too much these days, so many areas in business and finance where there is zero moral hazard, the banks being the worst.

Let's be honest, who is going to take them to court? each person only paid £25 and they will just write it off as a bad experience and are very unlikely to take it any further, meanwhile the founders walk away with almost £650k. It won't be treated as theft as there was still a prize and nothing will get done about how little it is and so the next couple will do the same with their house, people who have paid the £25 a ticket are the stupid people. No sympathy here I'm afriad. I wish I had thought up this brilliant little scam, I might try and do the same and make a few quid. 

40 minutes ago, Jimmyjammy001 said:

Let's be honest, who is going to take them to court? each person only paid £25 and they will just write it off as a bad experience and are very unlikely to take it any further, meanwhile the founders walk away with almost £650k. It won't be treated as theft as there was still a prize and nothing will get done about how little it is and so the next couple will do the same with their house, people who have paid the £25 a ticket are the stupid people. No sympathy here I'm afriad. I wish I had thought up this brilliant little scam, I might try and do the same and make a few quid. 

OK

So we have at least two grubby little con artists in the world.

You are right about saying he will get away with it etc etc, but I am certain the majority of people in this world are far more decent than the likes of you and that con artist

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

German prefab.

They are very good.

Not some wood with thin plaster nissan hut.

But if there's any point in prefabs then it still must suggest it's worth sweet FA. If it isn't then you may as well build it properly.

36 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

OK

So we have at least two grubby little con artists in the world.

You are right about saying he will get away with it etc etc, but I am certain the majority of people in this world are far more decent than the likes of you and that con artist

There's a type of person, and they're far too common, who equates "nothing illegal" with "nothing wrong." Ideally such parasites should be rounded up and shot.

10 hours ago, spyguy said:

1 hour ago, elephant said:

On main BBC news site site now although nothing new said - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-46839621

And the Guardian here:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/jan/11/couple-accused-of-misleading-entrants-in-raffle-for-3m-house

Surprised this has gotten so much mainstream attention and outrage. Usually these house raffle scammers are able to slip into the night with their 75% cut of the takings without anybody paying attention - the media only cover the initial ramping of the competition.

Hopefully this greedy boomer couple get the cuffs slapped on. Very dodgy behaviour

49 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

There's a type of person, and they're far too common, who equates "nothing illegal" with "nothing wrong." Ideally such parasites should be rounded up and shot.

Agree

And in that group I include BTL, not all of them, just most of them

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

Where exactly does it say it's going to court? If it does, could case law be set?

It doesnt.

This is one is so outrageous and ott i think gambling commusion will be forced to act

Id guess theyll have to verify promtion costs then be forced to refund.

8 minutes ago, spyguy said:

It doesnt.

This is one is so outrageous and ott i think gambling commusion will be forced to act

Id guess theyll have to verify promtion costs then be forced to refund.

Fair enough.

Yes, the sums of money are really pretty large, and this reflects exploitation of the wealth divide in this country yadda yadda.

You can't just brazenly rip off thousands of people to the cumulated sum of half a mil; well you shouldn't be able to at any rate.

So the costs were of order £500k and they claim that this works out to less than minimum wage for them.  At minimum wage that's more than 30 man-years.

But if there are no consequences, then why shouldn't people do it?! morals won't stop people, law will. I don't agree with btl'ers but people still do it to make money off of other peoples financial circumstances.