House Price Crash Forum
Social Justice League

Boris Burkagate Under Investigation By Tories

1 hour ago, lombardo said:

This has hardly got anything to due with being PC. Do you think the media or the Tories care if women in niqabs (not the same as burkas) were offended? On the day he said it there was hardly any noise made in the media. It was only after his own party decided to use it against him did the media start making a fuss.

1, This is the PM's opportunity to attack Boris.

2, It's means to stop the Labour party getting their own back about the antisemitism witch hunt on Corbyn.

Corbyn has been subject to an appaling campaign of personal abuse and vilification by the UK press for the last three years, including most shamefully the left-leaning Guardian. During that time not one single Conservative MP or councillor has had the professional integrity or basic human decency to speak out against it, or sought to curtail it in any way . Not one.

Now the shoe's on the other foot, too bad. The grasshopper lies heavy.

2 hours ago, Lurkerbelow said:

This article in the Times explains what is going on, and its very sad to see people here espousing some of those same beliefs, which just goes to show how far the infection has spread -

Alex Jones and Donald Trump are beneath contempt, but that has nothing to do this with. Banning the burka is a very fringe issue if the problem is Muslims as so few wear it.

Maybe more relevant is that much of Europe has banned the burka. Denmark, Belgium, France, for example. Are the xenophobes in power in these countries, or do they just care about women being coerced by domineering people in an extremist strand of Islam?

1 minute ago, Kosmin said:

Alex Jones and Donald Trump are beneath contempt, but that has nothing to do this with. Banning the burka is a very fringe issue if the problem is Muslims as so few wear it.

Maybe more relevant is that much of Europe has banned the burka. Denmark, Belgium, France, for example. Are the xenophobes in power in these countries, or do they just care about women being coerced by domineering people in an extremist strand of Islam?

Egypt and Morocco too. ISIS banned it for a while... https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/isis-bans-burka-after-veiled-8777819

19 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Corbyn has been subject to an appaling campaign of personal abuse and vilification by the UK press for the last three years, including most shamefully the left-leaning Guardian. During that time not one single Conservative MP or councillor has had the professional integrity or basic human decency to speak out against it, or sought to curtail it in any way . Not one.

Now the shoe's on the other foot, too bad. The grasshopper lies heavy.

Corbyn has subjected himself to 3 years of putting his foot in his mouth then shooting, then getting Momentum to shoot it.

1 hour ago, inbruges said:

Just out of interest anyone, would it be classed as Islamophobia to openly suggest that you despise and hate everything to do with the muslim religion Islam?

That's not a personal statement from me, just interested.

I don't think Christopher Hitchens ever got in trouble for this.

19 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

So what has Boris done wrong?

42 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

Salman Rushdie did though

12 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Salman Rushdie did though

The British government gave him police protection when he received death threats. I don't think anyone said he shouldn't write offensive books!

39 minutes ago, inbruges said:

Nothing. The burka has nothing to do with Islam. Similarly the anti-Zionism in the Labour party has nothing to do with anti-Semitism. Everyone with a brain knows this, but they also know it's easier to marginalise politicians they don't like using this nonsense then engaging with policy.

It will probably be good if Boris is kicked out and stays out of politics. Remember he was delighted at London being a playground for money launderers and thought foreign speculation on property was good.

6 hours ago, Kosmin said:

The British government gave him police protection when he received death threats.

Yes I wasn't judging him or his work.  But needing police protection sounds like trouble! 

8 hours ago, inbruges said:

He's an MP, however he thinks he's still a tabloid journalist. Time he made up his mind and which he's better suited for, I think most people would agree he's useless as a politician.

This is a salvo from Boris to rattle the imbeciles currently running the Conservatives. The media and the rest lap it up as if it's something important. Especially as he is against banning the burka. 

1 minute search on the internet would show that it's not a religious attire and some Muslim countries have indeed banned it recently. 

It just shows how easy it is to trigger people who have lost touch with reality. 

8 hours ago, Kosmin said:

The British government gave him police protection when he received death threats. I don't think anyone said he shouldn't write offensive books!

Nothing. The burka has nothing to do with Islam. Similarly the anti-Zionism in the Labour party has nothing to do with anti-Semitism. Everyone with a brain knows this, but they also know it's easier to marginalise politicians they don't like using this nonsense then engaging with policy.

It will probably be good if Boris is kicked out and stays out of politics. Remember he was delighted at London being a playground for money launderers and thought foreign speculation on property was good.

When I was a young bloke I remember being dumped by  a young lady that was way out of league and getting into all sorts of scrapes, like so many people I blamed this, that and the other. It was not until I started looking in the mirror and blaming myself a lot more that I started turning things around for the better, far better. You can even have had  bad things happen in your life that were not your fault, but if those things impact on your future life then again, it is your fault to a degree until you address it.

So many Muslims in the UK have the very same problem, once they get around to maybe looking a little deeper into their own culture they might find that most of their problems come within themselves, it's basic psychology. But they are doing what  so many immature and lazy people do, they are expecting the whole world around them to adapt to their insecurties , mostly in the way of being "offended" at every little tiny thing.

It's the same as meeting someone that has some crazy phobia, rather than deal with the problem themselves they cop out and expect 100's around them to alter their lives given the the illusion of normality

9 hours ago, Kosmin said:

The difference is that the fictional anti-semitism row was made up by Corbyn’s opponents in order to damage his image.

The Boris Johnson Islamophobia row was made up by Boris Johnson in order to boost his image.

This is the sort of thing that passes for politics nowadays.

Just now, BorrowToLeech said:

The difference is that the fictional anti-semitism row was made up by Corbyn’s opponents in order to damage his image.

The Boris Johnson Islamophobia row was made up by Boris Johnson in order to boost his image.

This is the sort of thing that passes for politics nowadays.

I don't know what Boris was expecting or hoping the outcome would be. Even if his comments were calculated to cause offence and controversy I still think the response has been disgraceful. It's particularly perverse for a group of hardliners who aren't very friendly toward freedom generally to invoke arguments about freedom ("we must be allowed to wear what we want without anyone criticising us") to demand the silencing of his speech.

11 hours ago, Kosmin said:

The burka has something to do with Islam.  To say it has "nothing to do with" it is being wilfully myopic. 

While it has traditionally been a practice in the middle east you can see it taken up with enthusiasm in East London. 

I have followed this case to some extent and was highly sceptical of the chap from the Muslim council of GB stating that not a single person in the UK was being compelled to wear it. Considering the numbers being forced into marriage getting someone to wear certain clothes is not much of a stretch.

I heard  a woman muslim caller into LBC from what sounded like Bradford originally who stated that it was often families that forced it and that was combined with wider community pressure. Of course there will be many who entirely voluntarily choose to wear what is clearly the ultimate symbol of female oppression. But no one seems to mention the irony.

But all the same it is a free country and people should be able to wear what they want, even if I fund it slightly discomforting. It won't affect me as I never meet these people as they are unlikely to cross paths with me.

Boris did use offensive language.  At least he didn't compare them to bin bags - he knew that would have seen him in deep water, possibly career ending. He chose something else but neither was good - bank robbers and post boxed look very different. 

1 minute ago, Ah-so said:

The burka has something to do with Islam.  To say it has "nothing to do with" it is being wilfully myopic. 

While it has traditionally been a practice in the middle east you can see it taken up with enthusiasm in East London. 

I have followed this case to some extent and was highly sceptical of the chap from the Muslim council of GB stating that not a single person in the UK was being compelled to wear it. Considering the numbers being forced into marriage getting someone to wear certain clothes is not much of a stretch.

I heard  a woman muslim caller into LBC from what sounded like Bradford originally who stated that it was often families that forced it and that was combined with wider community pressure. Of course there will be many who entirely voluntarily choose to wear what is clearly the ultimate symbol of female oppression. But no one seems to mention the irony.

But all the same it is a free country and people should be able to wear what they want, even if I fund it slightly discomforting. It won't affect me as I never meet these people as they are unlikely to cross paths with me.

Boris did use offensive language.  At least he didn't compare them to bin bags - he knew that would have seen him in deep water, possibly career ending. He chose something else but neither was good - bank robbers and post boxed look very different. 

Muslims just love creating an issue, they will go out of their way to just make one up in order to be offended by something or other when they get laughed in their face.Was watching amazed on TV yesterday as Muslim mother of 7 who was a Ms(that shocked me, but dare say it has something to do with benefits) getting enraged at the burka atrocity. Rape gangs, car rammimg, bombs, 10,000s of "British Muslims" fighting in Syria, and this is what gets her on the streets protesting.

Of course the British do not have to wear those silly garments, who would want to. But we just do what the British do, we take the p*** out of each other, more so when it is deserved, for some reason they feel they should be excluded from that.

4 minutes ago, inbruges said:

Muslims just love creating an issue, they will go out of their way to just make one up in order to be offended by something or other when they get laughed in their face.Was watching amazed on TV yesterday as Muslim mother of 7 who was a Ms(that shocked me, but dare say it has something to do with benefits) getting enraged at the burka atrocity. Rape gangs, car rammimg, bombs, 10,000s of "British Muslims" fighting in Syria, and this is what gets her on the streets protesting.

Of course the British do not have to wear those silly garments, who would want to. But we just do what the British do, we take the p*** out of each other, more so when it is deserved, for some reason they feel they should be excluded from that.

Really?  All Muslims?

I'm sure that you wouldn't want to be seen as implicitly approving of the actions of every (say) Christian Fundamentalist (and nor would I).  I think it's important not to type cast an entire religion on the basis of the actions of a few of its "followers".

I know a number of Muslims who are all outraged by the behaviour of the extremists in their faith and who disown them at every opportunity.

16 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

Really?  All Muslims?

I'm sure that you wouldn't want to be seen as implicitly approving of the actions of every (say) Christian Fundamentalist (and nor would I).  I think it's important not to type cast an entire religion on the basis of the actions of a few of its "followers".

I know a number of Muslims who are all outraged by the behaviour of the extremists in their faith and who disown them at every opportunity.

Like most discussions like this people talk in general and not about individuals, I am sure the Nazis had some really nice blokes amongst  them.

Catholic priests had too many child molesters proportionally and too many blacks kill other blacks in the UK, far over the average. And yet I know for a fact that there are nice priests and nice blacks.

You are just doing what the BBC does, you find a nice one and lets pretend there are no issues, Sikhs and Hindus are near to zero trouble at all, you never hear their gripes. But I am sick and tired of hearing the words Muslim and Islam every single day of my life and more so when I am told, like I heard on the media yesterday, how we need to "understand them more and not be so ignorant to their needs", how dare they, I will take an interest when I am drawn or willing, just like anything else.

I stick by what I say.

58 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

Forced into marriages - or killed if they refuse.

Lets not think these poor girls are just being thrown out of the fmaily. A lot are thrown out of their life.

Hows this different to calling Nuns penguins?

Some good analysis of the whole immigration/cultural issue here, including reference to Boris' burka comments:

https://www.capitalandconflict.com/end-of-europe/the-immigration-dupe-fails-miserably/

Bottom line is that the commentator believes that the electorate in general are hitting the end of their tolerance for politically correct BS and Boris is positioning himself to capitalise on it.

1 hour ago, Ah-so said:

Would there have been such a fuss if he'd said something about judges' wigs and gowns? The world is full of things that set themselves up for derogatory comments (and not even all of them are things I dislike), and I'd rather people did mock them than offending someone being a taboo. Some things fully deserve to be treated offensively, others not at all, but better that people say so (and get scorned back if appropriate) than feel compelled to keep quiet.

40 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

Bottom line is that the commentator believes that the electorate in general are hitting the end of their tolerance for politically correct BS and Boris is positioning himself to capitalise on it.

As a deliberately calculated statement designed to do that, yes, that's very likely.

1 hour ago, Exiled Canadian said:

Really?  All Muslims?

I'm sure many Muslims do and I commend them for it. All the Muslims I've known have been perfectly decent people who seem happy to live in a multicultural society. I think this is true of large numbers of Muslims in the West (probably a majority).

I don't think we should tolerate the small groups who are very intolerant of others whilst simultaneously insist that we tolerate them. This applies equally to Christians bombing abortion clinics etc.