House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
North London Rent Girl

Great Danny Dorling talk about inequality, includes nice chunk about house prices

The wonderful Danny Dorling talking about inequality generally, with (of course) a sizeable chunk about housing plus several mentions. Really worth a listen. And cheering for a bear - he's clear that prices are falling but nobody's really talking about it. Also makes an interesting point about housing as a safe haven for super-wealth and how that might be changing - and not just because of brexit, which he does talk about but doesn't fixate on it.

Peak Inequality

11 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

I posted this last wed, but well worth another mention ..

Interview about Peak inequality in the Uk with Danny Dorling

https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/233218-interview-about-peak-inequality-in-the-uk-with danny-dorling/

Doh, missed it, sorry, thanks for this. Hate to say it but good old RT.

On 06/08/2018 at 11:42, North London Rent Girl said:

I don't know about that - his books seem to sell well. He might be one of not very many eminent people speaking in public about how things actually are but there's such a thirst for it. That's why we're all going elsewhere for our news, isn't it?

There is a thirst for it (and for good reason) and Danny D is on the case but I fear many of his arguments and illustrations of inequality wont stand up to much scrutiny.

For example he gives an example of our inequality differences is London being so large compared to the UK overall, much like Moscow-Russia and Istanbul-Turkey.  He ignores Paris-France, Madrid-Spain, Copenhagen-Denmark relative sizes etc where he implies better equality exists.  He seems to cherry pick his randomly select his arguments .

I commend his efforts to a point, but worry he doesn't really understand the reasons why so cant contribute much beyond pointing 'somethings not right'. Frustrating.

34 minutes ago, nightowl said:

There is a thirst for it (and for good reason) and Danny D is on the case but I fear many of his arguments and illustrations of inequality wont stand up to much scrutiny.

For example he gives an example of our inequality differences is London being so large compared to the UK overall, much like Moscow-Russia and Istanbul-Turkey.  He ignores Paris-France, Madrid-Spain, Copenhagen-Denmark relative sizes etc where he implies better equality exists.  He seems to cherry pick his randomly select his arguments .

I commend his efforts to a point, but worry he doesn't really understand the reasons why so cant contribute much beyond pointing 'somethings not right'. Frustrating.

He was mentioning the countries of old empires tended to have 1 large city. I'd say France and Spain certainly fit that category, same as Rome, Athens, Budapest, Vienna etc....

Edited by honkydonkey

On 07/08/2018 at 13:19, nightowl said:

Hmm. I see what you mean but wasn't his point that in mega-cities - or cities that are mega in relation to a country's size - you get this huge gravitational effect of everyone from oligarchs to low-paid workers being sucked into the place en masse. I don't know about Spain and Denmark but I do recall from a french history course decades ago that the French had a long-standing policy of decentralisation, so have regional centres of commerce and industry that are relatively much bigger than we have here. I think that's similar in Germany.

But I take your point that DD isn't preaching the gospel. He's trying to make the best sense he can of an utterly bewildering set of circumstances. Bewildering unless you see it all as the outcome of nearly 40 years of neo-liberalism, which makes sense of just about everything to me - from wealth inequality to sexual and racial politics. Or maybe I'm just turning into a real old Trot. Some people I know would probably say that was only a matter of time!

On 07/08/2018 at 19:05, Saving For a Space Ship said:

No worries , your titles better anyhow 

Bless you Savers, but am going to visit the board more often to keep up with things. I seem to have largely given up just as the v welcome crap is hitting the fan, I must be here for the celebrations when it happens...