House Price Crash Forum
nome

Torygraph - New Conservative Economic mission - Lower House Prices

7 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Can't get past the paywall but...wow?

If you register you get to view (I think) one or two 'premium' articles a week for free.

As ever, a political party looking at what it needs to do to get re-elected. It's all they ever do, it's all they have ever done.

Watch prices skyrocket if anyone is so incredibly stupid as to vote these morons in for another five years.

I'm not saying for one moment that Brother Corbyn would be a better choice though, both parties are utterly woeful and British politics is crying out for a new party with a vision.

The Tories, whilst we're grateful they broadly got on top of the deficit and S24 taxation, have been so utterly tribal and small minded in so many of their policies, to attract the boomer vote, deserve a really hard kicking in the next ge. I wish them the best dealing with Brexit but after that they're screwed.

2 hours ago, nome said:

Great find. Everybody needs to get on there and comment. 

If the government are doing their jobs properly they will read the Telegraph/Torygraph and look at comments sections to get a feel for public opinion.

This could be a great chance to influence policymaking as they will be considering the autumn budget right about now...

Far too late

I probably have this at the 1789th time they are trying to convince us  of this, what's the saying

"You can fool all of the people some of the  time"..... You know the rest

As I said, on various posts on here, in 2010:

- Step back and let Brown's credit bubble deflate.

- Increase the hours and reduce the payouts of tax credits.

- Ban all non nationals from any form of benefit payment.

1 hour ago, stuckmojo said:

A reactive policy rather than a strategy, but the message is good anyway

+1

Incidentally, looking at the comments on Facebook, not one of them puts house price inflation down to government interference with the market or banks lending huge multiples of salary to people who are struggling to pay of the interest on it let alone ever afford to pay off the actual loan its self.

I don't believe for one second that the Tories would actively implement policies that would lower property prices, what I think is happening here is that they are bowing to the inevitable and given the illusion of being in control of it.

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, maverick73 said:

Why? It's peanuts... how much of the pie do they chew?

Not its not.

There's ~10-15m migrants in the UK.

~70%+ are rely on benefit.

There's several billion to be clawed back.

3 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

where did you get this stat? can you post a link?

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/key-topics/employment-welfare

'8. Large amounts are paid out to EEA nationals in state benefits. In 2014/15 a total of £4.4 billion was paid in working age benefits (primarily tax credits, child benefit and housing benefit). This bill may well now have risen further, as since free movement was fully extended to nationals of Romania and Bulgaria, the number of immigrants from these two countries working in the UK has increased by over 200,000. '

Thats figure will have almost doubled.

And thats just the EEA migrants.

Anedotall,y mrs spy class has ~30% migrants, mainly EE.

Every single one of them is on benefits.

13 minutes ago, spyguy said:

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/key-topics/employment-welfare

'8. Large amounts are paid out to EEA nationals in state benefits. In 2014/15 a total of £4.4 billion was paid in working age benefits (primarily tax credits, child benefit and housing benefit). This bill may well now have risen further, as since free movement was fully extended to nationals of Romania and Bulgaria, the number of immigrants from these two countries working in the UK has increased by over 200,000. '

Thats figure will have almost doubled.

And thats just the EEA migrants.

Anedotall,y mrs spy class has ~30% migrants, mainly EE.

Every single one of them is on benefits.

being an EEA migrant, I receive 0 benefits. however, are you saying that is 4.4BN net, i.e. after they pay taxes? or are the 15m of us migrants sitting on our arses just creaming the system?

6 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

being an EEA migrant, I receive 0 benefits. however, are you saying that is 4.4BN net, i.e. after they pay taxes? or are the 15m of us migrants sitting on our arses just creaming the system?

90% of EEA could not live in the UK without large benefits transfer - work credits, housing benefit etc.

Just now, spyguy said:

90% of EEA could not live in the UK without large benefits transfer - work credits, housing benefit etc.

I know a lot of EEA migrants and can say 100% that none of them receive work credits, housing benefit etc. I think that's a huge generalisation you are making unless I happen to know all the 10% :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

I know a lot of EEA migrants and can say 100% that none of them receive work credits, housing benefit etc. I think that's a huge generalisation you are making unless I happen to know all the 10% :rolleyes:

Depends where you are.

If you're French, working in London/City, then itll be true.

If you're an EE, working in a hotel 16h/w, then its not a generalisation.

See the tax credit sad face thread an the original Brexit one.

My info on the EEers at mrs spys school comes from Mrs spy, who (was) Italian.

UCL did a working paper released in 2013. It showed that immigrants were substantial net fiscally contributors. They concluded that the immigrant population studied contributed £22bn more in taxes than they took out in benefits between 2001 and 2011.

However, this figure was based on EEA immigrants (usually better educated). When the final report was issued - to much less fanfare - the conclusion was that, taking all immigrants into account they were a net £95bn drain between 1995-2011.

Spin.

48 minutes ago, crouch said:

UCL did a working paper released in 2013. It showed that immigrants were substantial net fiscally contributors. They concluded that the immigrant population studied contributed £22bn more in taxes than they took out in benefits between 2001 and 2011.

However, this figure was based on EEA immigrants (usually better educated). When the final report was issued - to much less fanfare - the conclusion was that, taking all immigrants into account they were a net £95bn drain between 1995-2011.

Spin.

From that very report:

"Our findings were quite remarkable. The contribution of recent (post-1999) immigrants to the UK fiscal system has been consistently positive and astonishingly strong. Between 2001 and 2011, those recent EEA immigrants contributed to the fiscal system 34% more than they took out, with a net fiscal contribution of about 22.1 billion GBP.  At the same time recent immigrants from non-EEA countries made a net fiscal contribution of 2.9 billion GBP, thus paying in the system about 2% more than they took out. In contrast, over the same period, natives’ fiscal payments amounted to 89% of the amount of transfers they received, or an overall negative fiscal contribution of 624.1 billion GBP. The net fiscal balance of overall immigration to the UK between 2001 and 2011 amounts therefore to a positive net contribution of about 25 billion GBP, over  a period over which the UK has run an overall budget deficit."