House Price Crash Forum

Hot off the heels of the Bunnings/ Homebase debacle Travis Perkins seems to be setting up to dispose of Wickes. Saying that from my experience the stores are a total mess. No fun going to a half empty warehouse searching through warped wood  for the one good piece. Now they are stripping costs out so the stores will go down further.

Anyway I assume this will be affected by the low housing transaction volumes for the general diy. I guess for trades the model is trade counter type places for tools, and bits. Not sure where they go for wood.

http://www.cityam.com/290019/diy-sos-travis-perkins-warns-wickes-profits-lower-consumers

I've got by with Jewsons or local saw mill and screwfix. Wickes good for some things including smokeless coal (Brazier) and 10kg bags of ceiling filler (i would recommend as a superior heavy duty filler for all interval surfaces). Hopefully they keep going as they did a good job delivering a load of timber for my last project.

Is DIY dead? I would say it's in decline. So many people in my office look dumb struck when i show them stuff I've done on my house (or fixed basic stuff on the cars). They'd sooner pay someone. In another life I'd be taking their money. 

8 minutes ago, adarmo said:

I've got by with Jewsons or local saw mill and screwfix. Wickes good for some things including smokeless coal (Brazier) and 10kg bags of ceiling filler (i would recommend as a superior heavy duty filler for all interval surfaces). Hopefully they keep going as they did a good job delivering a load of timber for my last project.

Is DIY dead? I would say it's in decline. So many people in my office look dumb struck when i show them stuff I've done on my house (or fixed basic stuff on the cars). They'd sooner pay someone. In another life I'd be taking their money. 

bean counter and can fix stuff 

unusual 

4 minutes ago, longgone said:

bean counter and can fix stuff 

unusual 

So it turns out. 

Dad was the same. 

I should have done engineering though. Proper maths and i have an imagination..... unlike 80% of the dull as fk robots i trained with. 

Just now, adarmo said:

So it turns out. 

Dad was the same. 

I should have done engineering though. Proper maths and i have an imagination..... unlike 80% of the dull as fk robots i trained with. 

my brother in law is one, and i have to agree he is dull as fark.  he would have trouble changing the batteries in the remote.  😄

in fact i have never met anyone as useless as him in a practical sense.  so far fixed last couple of months the dishwasher twice bust impeller and drain pump. oven element 3 VW sat nav units and about 15 laptops.  

if only i had a steady flow of cheap tat to repair and turn around quickly. 

My anecdote, I went to Wikes for something and the staff just looked at me like an utter waste of their time.

I put together a request for a quote for local saw mill (some C16 timber, some OSB and some screws, is all ... but a job big enough to warrant about 200GBP of materials) ... and the folks in store were excellent (and knowledgeable) but the organisation didn't follow up.

I went to Travis Perkins (happened to drive past and popped in) ... TP staff took quote from my fwded email to local sawmill and turned it around (in detail, with Qs and further great advice) in 2 hours ... and then everything from refinement of quote, efficiency of delivery (some pieces just plain too big fro my car), friendliness across all of it .. 

I know it is just a shoddy anecdote. But the difference between Wikes and TP was gargantuan.

Anecdotally I heard recently that the local builder's merchants (trade & DIY) were finding it hard going (after business being good for a fair while) - perhaps suggesting that people are just spending less on their properties; whether they're doing it themselves or paying tradesmen to do it for them.

27 minutes ago, ftb_fml said:

Anecdotally I heard recently that the local builder's merchants (trade & DIY) were finding it hard going (after business being good for a fair while) - perhaps suggesting that people are just spending less on their properties; whether they're doing it themselves or paying tradesmen to do it for them.

.....and as more of us rent we are discouraged from doing-it ourselves.

Might be me being a grumpy old man before my time but even basic practical skills seem to be on the decline. I'm certainly no DIY whizz but some people appear surprised when I do even fairly basic jobs by myself. Sad really, people just don't appear to want to do anything at all.

33 minutes ago, dougless said:

.....and as more of us rent we are discouraged from doing-it ourselves.

Very true - and of course landlords are going to want to spend as little as possible on their "investments" to maximise profitability..

30 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Might be me being a grumpy old man before my time but even basic practical skills seem to be on the decline. I'm certainly no DIY whizz but some people appear surprised when I do even fairly basic jobs by myself. Sad really, people just don't appear to want to do anything at all.

Sadly I agree - the result of many factors I think; for one it suits the establishment as it bolsters service industries and our vile disposable consumer society. 

28 minutes ago, ftb_fml said:

Very true - and of course landlords are going to want to spend as little as possible on their "investments" to maximise profitability..

Sadly I agree - the result of many factors I think; for one it suits the establishment as it bolsters service industries and our vile disposable consumer society. 

Yes, if you think the cost of a new kitchen and bathroom for a flat (fitted and all done for you) would be in the region of £10k and then think that the marginal increase in rental might be £100/£150 per month that's a hefty payback period. Arguably we could get into the improvement in value impacting the LTV and therefore the interest rate..... but if you're doing BTL correctly everything is basic as can be to keep capital invested low and there is marginal improvement in rental prices. 

Caveat the place must be usable otherwise it wont probably rent (or would fall foul of certain regs which we all know takes place).

In my opininon, BTL has had a part in this. People my age often dont know how to do DIY for the simple fact we arent allowed to. I know people who have lost hundreds from their deposit for painting a dirty old magnolia wall white, and even been charged for the lightbulbs that blew and were replaced. We would happily do the work ourselves, painting, replacing broken flooring etc but its just not allowed by the landlords or agents. It wasnt until i got into my flat which is a housing association that i was allowed to do any decorating/ DIY and i thoroughly enjoyed it- although i had no idea as it is simply not allowed. Spent quite a bit in Bunnings i think. 

When the landlords do buy anything from these places for improvements its usually the cheapest of cheap and as infrequent as possible. 

People spend big on DIY when they buy a house to occupy...low transaction levels are very bad news for DIY retail as is the growth in renting.  This is well understood by the DIY retailers.

HPC would be good for DIY retailers...current nose bleed prices and market stalemate dampens demand for DIY products.  However I don't remember seeing any campaigning or lobbying by DIY retailers for policies to limit house inflation.   UK Gov policies to promote HPI have inevitably led to this situation and retail business failures and the DIY retailers went along with it...

15 minutes ago, Wayward said:

People spend big on DIY when they buy a house to occupy...low transaction levels are very bad news for DIY retail as is the growth in renting.  This is well understood by the DIY retailers.

HPC would be good for DIY retailers...current nose bleed prices and market stalemate dampens demand for DIY products.  However I don't remember seeing any campaigning or lobbying by DIY retailers for policies to limit house inflation.   UK Gov policies to promote HPI have inevitably led to this situation and retail business failures and the DIY retailers went along with it...

very much agree.

There are so many houses for sale at the moment that need a lot of money spending on them.....problem is they often ask the same as the renovated one  next door which sold.

Pratical skills, whatever it might be will pay for itself many times over......poor, tired, out of date decor....grubby kitchens, bathrooms, carpets, paintwork will be the catalyst of falling prices......pay the going rate for something technology or AI is unable to do, cheap labour will no longer be prepared to do, could cost a fortune, a fortune to knock off of the price.....a fortune saved by an able practically skilled person who can Do It Themselves.;)

Edited by winkie

DIY dead? I doubt it. Not when there so many resources available online. Sometimes all you need is a YouTube video or two.

Also have you seen how much some tradesman charge per day?

Tiling is the worst one. Tiling is relatively easy, yet can cost hundreds of pounds to get someone to do it off a website like Checkatrade as it's one of those jobs that can't be done in a single day. 

4 hours ago, kirstieb said:

In my opininon, BTL has had a part in this. People my age often dont know how to do DIY for the simple fact we arent allowed to. I know people who have lost hundreds from their deposit for painting a dirty old magnolia wall white, and even been charged for the lightbulbs that blew and were replaced. We would happily do the work ourselves, painting, replacing broken flooring etc but its just not allowed by the landlords or agents. It wasnt until i got into my flat which is a housing association that i was allowed to do any decorating/ DIY and i thoroughly enjoyed it- although i had no idea as it is simply not allowed. Spent quite a bit in Bunnings i think. 

When the landlords do buy anything from these places for improvements its usually the cheapest of cheap and as infrequent as possible. 

I keep getting these tiles in rental properties which I have the pleasure of occupying - available also in pink.

70s aspirational tiles remind me every day what a loser I am!

tile.jpg

3 minutes ago, frankief said:

I keep getting these tiles in rental properties which I have the pleasure of occupying - available also in pink.

70s aspirational tiles remind me every day what a loser I am!

tile.jpg

Don't forget the brown carpet, a landlord special. I viewed a house that was obviously somebody's nan's that they had inherited. They hadnt even bothered to update the 70's wallpaper and still had questionable stains on the carpets. 

I've had a number of 'professionals' in to paint, sand floors, plaster and none of them have done a job any better than I could have. I'm seriously looking at doing some plastering soon with the help of you tube.

I did once give up when I was trying to fit a shower and found the pipes and wires needing to be rerouted and ,standing in my bath with the water and electrical off looking at a jigsaw of pipes and wires, I gave up and phoned a plumber. YouTube videos had made it look easy and, if Mira hadn't changed the internal design of the shower from the old model to the new one, I'd have e been able to do it no bother. 

9 minutes ago, kirstieb said:

They hadnt even bothered to update the 70's wallpaper and still had questionable stains on the carpets. 

My experience of amateur borrow to let properties is that the stains are unquestionable LOL.

Currently renting a flat owned and managed professionally.  Carpets are brown tis true but the place was mint when we moved in.
Reported problems get fixed so fast I usually have to delay them so I can get to the flat before the engineer.

Night and day.  I am NEVER going to do business with an amateur landlord again after this.

Re topic - yes my lads have had near zero exposure to DIY as they haven't bought their own places yet, and it looks like they will be approx 10 years older than I was (aged 23 in 1986 with a mortgage subsidy - remember them?)

2 minutes ago, regprentice said:

I've had a number of 'professionals' in to paint, sand floors, plaster and none of them have done a job any better than I could have. I'm seriously looking at doing some plastering soon with the help of you tube.

I did once give up when I was trying to fit a shower and found the pipes and wires needing to be rerouted and ,standing in my bath with the water and electrical off looking at a jigsaw of pipes and wires, I gave up and phoned a plumber. YouTube videos had made it look easy and, if Mira hadn't changed the internal design of the shower from the old model to the new one, I'd have e been able to do it no bother. 

Seriously - get personal recommendations and keep trying other people until you get a list of real pros.  Then I promise you 2 things - a) they will do a better job, faster and b) critically, will foresee and handle snags.  Personally I'm not into wrestling with plumbing at midnight while trying to watch DIY youtube videos having started at 8am, but maybe I'm just a wuss.

Also why learn the job of a skilled tradesman and then not use it again for 10 years?  I laid a patio aged 25 and did a fair job of it.  But the most valuable outcome of the project was realising I never want to do anything remotely like it ever again.

4 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

Also why learn the job of a skilled tradesman and then not use it again for 10 years?  I laid a patio aged 25 and did a fair job of it.  But the most valuable outcome of the project was realising I never want to do anything remotely like it ever again.

What / who is buried underneath it...