House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sausage

Faulty wall socket

I have a kettle which keeps turning off soon after being switched on. I'd presumed it was faulty (I'm going to clean the contacts to see if that helps).

I've suddenly realised the wall socket is not used for anything else: the kettle just stays plugged in. I'm now wondering if the socket is the problem. Could it be faulty but not be tripping the fuse box?

I'll check for loose wires behind it later on.

The obvious thing is to check the kettle in another socket first. The kettle failing is far more likely than the socket failing, most aren't made to last.

On 02/08/2018 at 09:19, Riedquat said:

The obvious thing is to check the kettle in another socket first. The kettle failing is far more likely than the socket failing, most aren't made to last.

Plus also check another appliance in the suspect socket, if your lamp/radio etc works in it then the socket is fine.

OP, if you are going to start taking the socket apart then please make sure you turn the power off at the fuse box first (ideally to the whole house).

Check kettle for limescale. If heavily limed, half fill it with half-and-half white vinegar and water. Boil it, leave overnight. Rinse out, boil again and empty it. Then try it.

On 03/08/2018 at 20:28, juvenal said:

Check kettle for limescale. If heavily limed, half fill it with half-and-half white vinegar and water. Boil it, leave overnight. Rinse out, boil again and empty it. Then try it.

My wife did that once but didn't tell me.

Worked a treat on the kettle but was definitely the worst cup of tea I've ever tasted

I also have a question: when digging in my garden I discovered a large marrow-shaped, rusty-metal object with what look like fins at one end. When I tried to move it, a quick, regular, periodic clicking noise occurred. I figured there might be an alarm clock buried under this item, but it wouldn't budge much. I've a big ol' pickaxe I intend to use on it tomorrow to shift it outta the way so I can see what's making the ticking.

Any thoughts?

12 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

I also have a question: when digging in my garden I discovered a large marrow-shaped, rusty-metal object with what look like fins at one end. When I tried to move it, a quick, regular, periodic clicking noise occurred. I figured there might be an alarm clock buried under this item, but it wouldn't budge much. I've a big ol' pickaxe I intend to use on it tomorrow to shift it outta the way so I can see what's making the ticking.

Any thoughts?

It's definitely going to give you a house price crash, git to swingin'!

On 18/09/2018 at 22:59, Sledgehead said:

Any thoughts?

Give it a really good whack with a sledgehammer. That way you can tell if it's a dud or not..

31 minutes ago, juvenal said:

Give it a really good whack with a sledgehammer. That way you can tell if it's a dud or not..

Look at his name - he could try nutting it.