House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

BBC radio

Edit: I turned BBc radio 5 on yesterday afternoon as I needed some background sound in the garage. Unfortunately they were discussing ‘Love Island’. If that wasn’t bad enough one of the guests on the show decided they wanted to steer the conversation as they felt the show was ‘racist’. So that was that I turned over to Bbc radio 4. On that channel there was then a programme with a female comedian. Started off ok but then ended up well you can guess - drifted off onto men so I turned that off. 

It’s just disappointing because I found the BBC radio content to be unlistenable. Maybe I just picked a bad time where the time slots are filled with nonsense.

6 Music is decent, as long as you avoid Lauren Laverne (mid-morning) and Steve Lamacq (late afternoon) who don't appear to know how to stop talking. The remainder of the shows are put together by people with a genuine passion for music and, uniquely for the BBC, they appear to be left alone to do whatever they like.

I have found that standards do seem to be slipping in many ways at the BBC.  I am getting bored with the extreme PC* which is permeating much of Radio 4 and if that isn't bad enough you hear more and more presenters who have left their received pronunciation behind.  Love RP or not it does serve a purpose in that it helps with clarity and understanding as its about as 'neutral' a speech mode as you are likely to get in the UK.

*I felt that Jane Bond &The Undercovermen nailed political correctness back in the 1980's with their song - Politically Correct. Some of us have been living with it for decades......

The whole of R5 and to a lesser extent R4 feels like an exercise in virtue signalling taken to extremes.

Is that how you get ahead in the corporation?  Spend your days proving that you're some kind of hyper-enlightened super-caring person that can be trusted to handle the big issues sensitively, or alternatively at least give you enough cover if you make some kind of pc faux-pas such as asking for a black coffee?

3 minutes ago, Goat said:

The whole of R5 and to a lesser extent R4 feels like an exercise in virtue signalling taken to extremes.

Is that how you get ahead in the corporation?  Spend your days proving that you're some kind of hyper-enlightened super-caring person that can be trusted to handle the big issues sensitively, or alternatively at least give you enough cover if you make some kind of pc faux-pas such as asking for a black coffee?

Probably best you don't watch CBeebies then. The one-black, one-Asian, one-Downs Syndrome quota gets a bit tiresome after a while...

Its definitely the era we're in now: that of the pity party, everyone's a victim everyone trying to out do the other about the supposed big issues, as soon as i hear anything to do with feminism, brexit or trump i just zone out, honest to god its like white noise on a telly to me.

With regard to the beeb, they don't call it 'programming' for nothing..........................

Yes, a lot of it is boringly PC - you have to be selective.  I wish they'd bring back Clare in the Community, or some very non PC equivalent. 

I like the World Service - or most of it - when I can't sleep, which is pretty often nowadays.  And the late night shipping forecast - I do love Sailing By. 

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:32, burk said:

Its definitely the era we're in now: that of the pity party, everyone's a victim everyone trying to out do the other about the supposed big issues, as soon as i hear anything to do with feminism, brexit or trump i just zone out, honest to god its like white noise on a telly to me.

With regard to the beeb, they don't call it 'programming' for nothing..........................

A large number of the public don`t want to listen to this tripe though, the likes of the beeb just haven`t caught on yet it seems, or maybe it is an ideological stance and they are going to go down fighting with it? We have Trump, we have Brexit, the world just moved on, the virtue signalling, rabid feminism, me me me look at me thing is already feeling old fashioned, unfortunately there is going to be fallout in a mental health sense because a whole generation know nothing else except walking about looking at a rectangle all day, it is scary and quite sad actually. I can`t take the bbc anymore, haven`t been able to watch bbc news for years, bbc4 documentaries are about all I can stomach.

I'd echo the sentiments above, i too listen to 6 music and watch BBC 4 especially for the music docs/progs, really good.................the other 95% of its output - utter sh!te.

For me it's Keaveny until 9:30am on 6Music, the Ken Bruce from 9:30 to midday. Switch off for an hour and then Radcliffe & Maconie on 6 Music until 4pm.

Nothing will ever come close to the glory days of Mark & Lard though.

22 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

Yes, a lot of it is boringly PC - you have to be selective.  I wish they'd bring back Clare in the Community, or some very non PC equivalent. 

I like the World Service - or most of it - when I can't sleep, which is pretty often nowadays.  And the late night shipping forecast - I do love Sailing By. 

I listen to the world service, radio 2, 4 and 5 sometimes....lbc and tre (talk radio europe)....lots of other stations I sometimes visit to get a balanced view.....radio beats some of the rubbish TV put out there...not all TV is bad, got to be selective.;)

On 02/08/2018 at 13:46, Mrs Bear said:

Couldn't agree more. You reminded me that Clare in the Community was a funny show. Just listened to the only episode currently on IPlayer. Very funny and even more relevant to now.