House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Things are slowing up on the Trade side

I am very reluctant to put anecdotes up here until they have a little more meat on the bone, so mostly keep them to myself. I have a working range that is usually from North London as far north as Dantes 5th level of hell Peterborough, with a lot of work coming from Cambridge and Saffron Walden end. For now lets just skip the Cambridge  area, but everywhere else right now there are serious signs things are slowing up. I have noticed more For sale signs creeping up and the more north you go the more signs that are going up, but that's not the main reason I am posting. I know loads of tradesmen, I have 5 regular guys working for me that can go down to as low as two of three and high as six, and that's about as many as I ever want to deal with. Most of my work is refurbishing office and shop electrics and security etc, and I do get involved in a lot of other stuff as well. I come into contact with a lot of people in a lot of places and love it mostly, and without a shadow of doubt things are slowing up for a lot of these guys, I am always checking at the wholesalers "are you busy", over the years you will get told it is quite for it then to pick up soon after, not at the moment, I am hearing things are rapidly slowing, a few struggling  guys are ringing me on the phone, usually the Huntingdon and Peterborough lads.

Too early for any of this to be of any interest to most of you, but got a sneaking suspicion I will be before long pasting a proper media article confirming what I am saying and then posting more. I always said I knew this was coming and I am expecting a hit, and I am OK with that, maybe I will go down as low as having three or even two lads, maybe part time even, maybe as one as just having my number one gem of a guy and me, but I can take a big hit and live, my debts are zero.

Anyone else seeing anything?

I specify a lot of HVAC equipment for new build apartments, social housing, commercial buildings, etc, usually around £4million per month. Number of projects seem to be reducing but still specifying around the 4 mark, though this month has seen a drop of 30% in project enquiries and value has taken a 50% dive; early days to make anything of it but significant if continues this way.

Started a 10 week two floor office refit this week and booked in for next two weekends 

Meanwhile as i drive my 15 year old japmobile the amounts of t0ssers in 18 plate high specification Audis and BMWs round my way goes ever upwards. The new metallic teal colour is especially ghastly. colour of a Christmas tree bauble.

Edited by chronyx

39 minutes ago, Now or never said:

I specify a lot of HVAC equipment for new build apartments, social housing, commercial buildings, etc, usually around £4million per month. Number of projects seem to be reducing but still specifying around the 4 mark, though this month has seen a drop of 30% in project enquiries and value has taken a 50% dive; early days to make anything of it but significant if continues this way.

I always get a slow patch in summer, and have never understood why Christmas always goes mad, starting from November.  This is just different and been going on for 4 months now, wait and see. I have not had anything but insanity, so a slight slow down and the fact that I had kidney problems that forced me to take a break for the first time in 3 years plus, I am actually wanting to slow down.

15 hours ago, chronyx said:

The new metallic teal colour is especially ghastly

Everyone has been ribbing my colleague who got his company car in this colour.

15 hours ago, inbruges said:

I had kidney problems that forced me to take a break

Hope it's all cleared up!

31 minutes ago, Locke said:

Hope it's all cleared up!

Been so busy for so many years now and stupid in not taking the breaks I needed, once I got better I was so happy it happened, then went onto a great world cup and watched a few matches.

Yes I am good thanks.

I bumped into old friend from university on the train. He has been made redundant, along with the whole department at an insurance company.  Told me it was because government has capped amount that can be claimed from whiplash injuries to hundreds instead of thousands. 

I have no idea what he specifically does, but it reinforced the idea that britains economy relies on moving money around rather than doing anything productive. Somebody crashing a car is more important to the economy than somebody building one. 

I don't see any slowdown. If anything, things are picking up. My wife's uncle who is a retired plasterer has even come out of retirement to do a few jobs because the money being offered is that good.

Demand for the practical trades, good builders, electricians, plasters, gas, engineers etc......the real jobs....nothing that university will ever teach anyone.....good practical and emotional skills of any kind will always be in demand.....if you can also sell, communicate, are empathetic and engaging, relate to others, creative are honest and trustworthy....skies the limit......will never be without work.;)

1 hour ago, winkie said:

Demand for the practical trades, good builders, electricians, plasters, gas, engineers etc......the real jobs....nothing that university will ever teach anyone.....good practical and emotional skills of any kind will always be in demand.....if you can also sell, communicate, are empathetic and engaging, relate to others, creative are honest and trustworthy....skies the limit......will never be without work.;)

Certainly you wouldn't want your electrician actually be taught or "knowing" anything about electrical installation.

Just some big bloke with a lump hammer that can smash holes in walls and pull wires through, can read the paper, make cups of tea and do sharp intakes of breath.

Most of his skills can be learnt on the job from "Big Pete" who's been in the business since the 60s, so surely must be up to it.

19 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Just some big bloke with a lump hammer that can smash holes in walls and pull wires through, can read the paper, make cups of tea and do sharp intakes of breath.

Don't give the game away, old chap.

3 hours ago, Locke said:

I now feel less alone, cheers :lol:

59 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Certainly you wouldn't want your electrician actually be taught or "knowing" anything about electrical installation.

Most of his skills can be learnt on the job from "Big Pete" who's been in the business since the 60s, so surely must be up to it.

Yer but banging big heavy things about is real, honest work, not like that dangerous finking business. Never trust somebody wearing glasses, intellectuals who should all be sent to the fields if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Yer but banging big heavy things about is real, honest work, not like that dangerous finking business. Never trust somebody wearing glasses, intellectuals who should all be sent to the fields if you ask me.

It wouldn't hurt intellectuals to spend some time in 'the field' so they know how reality actually works.

From Marx to the designers of naff electrical gear.

It may even allow them to fink betterer.

Certainly no slow down in my current location (Anglesey)... in fact it feels like the boom times are just getting going.

Plots that have been empty and unsold for years are suddenly all getting snapped up and building work commencing immediately, half finished developments that have been mothballed for years are all suddenly springing back to life and getting completed.

And asking prices of existing houses are just getting higher and higher with each new one brought to market.

1 minute ago, chronyx said:

the designers of naff electrical gear.

are actually pretty amazing at value engineering. Thinning products down, but just about keeping them working, to maximize profits.

14 minutes ago, chronyx said:

It wouldn't hurt intellectuals to spend some time in 'the field' so they know how reality actually works.

From Marx to the designers of naff electrical gear.

It may even allow them to fink betterer.

Last I checked it's legal to think about ideas and test them in reality. If not I better sack the bench scientists I manage pronto.

On second thoughts, I think they all went to university to study how reality works according to so-called "science" so I'll have them lined up and shot on Day Zero of winkie's No Intelecshuals Revolution. I always knew the Enlightenment was a waste of time.

Edited by Dorkins

2 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Last I checked it's legal to think about ideas and test them in reality.

This website is pretty pointless then 

8 minutes ago, Goodafterbad said:

are actually pretty amazing at value engineering. Thinning products down, but just about keeping them working, to maximize profits.

True.  It's good enough for the NHS so I shouldn't complain about the screw threads that disintegrate and terminals that fall apart 

4 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

You do not have to go to a university to learn trades.......there are many courses available, distance learning, day release, evening classes.......earn as you learn.😉

4 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Really, I suggest you look at the Part P paperwork you have to do with every job now. Apart from the 100's of visual things there is the testing, Continuity, insulation, earth loop impedance Zs & Ze, R2, RCD disconnection times, polarity,

1 hour ago, inbruges said:

Really, I suggest you look at the Part P paperwork you have to do with every job now. Apart from the 100's of visual things there is the testing, Continuity, insulation, earth loop impedance Zs & Ze, R2, RCD disconnection times, polarity,

Let them have their fun, pay cheap get monkeys.