House Price Crash Forum

Facebook down 23% in after hours trading

HOLA441

Facebook down 23% in after hours trading, following results with flat growth in the US and decline in Europe.

As the current rally is all about the FANG stocks, could this really burst the stock market bubble?

Or will everything be magically fixed by morning?

HOLA442

Revenue growth potentially hit by the Cambridge Analytica scandal, presumably they are being more selective in choosing advertiser's. But realistically growth had to stall...2.2Bn people have 'active' Facebook accounts, that's almost a third of the world's population. 

From MarketWatch.

Profits were not what rattled investors, though. Facebook recorded sales of $13.04 billion, a 41.9% increase from a year ago, but that was lower than analyst estimates and previous growth rates. User growth was flat in the U.S. and Canada, and declined in Europe from the previous quarter.

But the stock didn’t fall off a cliff until Chief Financial Officer David Wehner disclosed that the social-media giant expects the revenue-growth slowdown to continue.

“Our total revenue-growth rates will continue to decelerate in the second half of 2018, and we expect our revenue-growth rates to decline by high-single-digit percentages from prior quarters sequentially in both Q3 and Q4,” he said on the conference call. Wehner also said Facebook still expects expenses to grow 50% to 60% from last year.

HOLA443
1 hour ago, regprentice said:

Revenue growth potentially hit by the Cambridge Analytica scandal, presumably they are being more selective in choosing advertiser's. But realistically growth had to stall...2.2Bn people have 'active' Facebook accounts, that's almost a third of the world's population. 

From MarketWatch.

Profits were not what rattled investors, though. Facebook recorded sales of $13.04 billion, a 41.9% increase from a year ago, but that was lower than analyst estimates and previous growth rates. User growth was flat in the U.S. and Canada, and declined in Europe from the previous quarter.

But the stock didn’t fall off a cliff until Chief Financial Officer David Wehner disclosed that the social-media giant expects the revenue-growth slowdown to continue.

“Our total revenue-growth rates will continue to decelerate in the second half of 2018, and we expect our revenue-growth rates to decline by high-single-digit percentages from prior quarters sequentially in both Q3 and Q4,” he said on the conference call. Wehner also said Facebook still expects expenses to grow 50% to 60% from last year.

There's the curse of immature tech firms going for the land and expand model. Ultimately though expenses are easier to control than revenue so i should think profits won't be too hard done by. 

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
1 hour ago, Errol said:

It beggars belief that anyone still uses this.

Agreed. And they don't screen advertisers at all. Scam Chinese company pretending to sell new mountain bikes worth $xxxx for about $80, all over the shop. 

It's a shit show. hate Facebook.

HOLA448
HOLA449
17 hours ago, reddog said:

Facebook down 23% in after hours trading, following results with flat growth in the US and decline in Europe.

As the current rally is all about the FANG stocks, could this really burst the stock market bubble?

I hope Facebook goes to zero. It's the worst of the FAANGs. But an hour before the American markets jumped and they've continued there rise today. I think the bull market is above half due to the tech stocks.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I never really ‘got’ Facebook. I have heard a lot of people buying and selling goods and services on it to circumvent eBay and Amazon market places. I’m unsure how it works - I presume because Facebook is even lighter touch it’s a free for all / Wild West with all sorts going on, and FB make money on the advertising side?  That’s in addition to the massive data harvesting that seems to have been confirmed.  

Post Cambridge heard a lot of people refusing to post items on there. Though some don’t care. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

When I go on to the mobile Facebook app, I get at least 50% adverts.

I have also been a bit pissed of when I get tagged in other people's pictures.

What I keep meaning to do is lock the security to the absolute max.

Sadly I still need Facebook, as it is the mechanism my friends use to to organise events.

HOLA4414
18 hours ago, reddog said:

Good, I hope in many ways it ends it. I got into a bit of a family row about FB  several weeks when I pointed out that I had stopped 90% of the notifications because they just bored me to death or were the usual narcissistic "look how great my life is" crap. Love it for the groups... health, sports, triathlon and stop drinking etc etc stuff

But the day to day stuff from "friends" who you happily ignored for years with their full on opinions is just to much for me.

HOLA4415

I joined Facebook in 2006 because everyone was telling me how great it was. I lasted about 2 months and couldn't take anymore. In fact, I thought it was the worst idea ever. As you move on in life from school to uni to work and change jobs, the last thing you want to do is keep in touch with all the people you've met. My partner, mum and sisters couldn't live without it though.

The other day my mother was moaning about the dog and that when she walked it all it wanted to do was sniff and pee. I told her it was like their Facebook and that was how dogs found out stuff about each other. She wasn't impressed.

HOLA4416
15 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

As you move on in life from school to uni to work and change jobs, the last thing you want to do is keep in touch with all the people you've met.

Ha ha. Totally.

16 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

The other day my mother was moaning about the dog and that when she walked it all it wanted to do was sniff and pee. I told her it was like their Facebook and that was how dogs found out stuff about each other. She wasn't impressed.

Ha ha Totally.

I take it there is no HPC group on then.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
20 hours ago, Andy T said:

nothing more irritating than visiting the website of a company you know, to find that it no longer exits, instead they now have a facebook page instead, that has ****** all detail on it.

This, so much. 

I have a bogus account just to access the local motocross tracks and see when they're open.  I did use it for a while in the previous decade but thinking back it was the stupidest idea ever. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

When I look at the Facebook guidance, the cynic in me says that they are fiddling the numbers to make them look worse than what they are. While I can't stand it myself, it's clearly an incredible business when you look at the growth of revenue and the user base. Perhaps Zuck wants to make the business look less good than what it is so he can deflect the heat it's getting from congress.

HOLA4421
On 26/07/2018 at 10:35, Errol said:

It beggars belief that anyone still uses this.

I agree but lots of the dumb masses absolutely LOVE it.   I have relatives who quite literally spend all day on it (checking their phones every couple of minutes).  The official smartphone app is just about the most intrusive, spying bit of software than I have seen, short of actual malware, and can clobber your battery life as it is snooping so comprehensively on what you are doing.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425