House Price Crash Forum

Northen Ireland - Brexit impact and House Prices

HOLA441
On 01/11/2019 at 19:13, bear.getting.old said:

A no deal brexit would have been the best thing. Boris has sold out NI for this 'deal ' of his

As is so typical in NI anger is misplaced. Once our elected reps accepted the idea of a boarder down the Irish sea it was obvious what was going to happen. 

Speaking as someone with a SME exporting from NI, a no deal was always a non starter here. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
On 01/11/2019 at 00:17, bear.getting.old said:

It's not a deal to leave. Its a deal to partially leave, loose the (few) benefits of being in the EU, without gaining many benefits of being out.

You sound like David Cameron.

Ah yes, here we go. The typical class of a hardcore Brexiter. If someone doesn't agree with something you say, then it's time to grab a fistful of mud... just don't go down that road. I'm not associating you with a full-time idiot.

EU, secure? If you are a terrorist migrant its a great secure place. Just ask France.

Yes. In the past, Europe was one of the most conflict areas in the world. Since the EU formed we have enjoyed peace and friendship between the European countries like never before. Having this unity, this also protects us from attack from outside Europe. Do you disagree with this?

Why do you think you would like the EU to manage your food safety standards for you rather than your own country? Did we not successfully manage it ourselves before we joined the EU and afterwards? The UK has some the best health standards in the world and environmental too, we trump the world. We do not need unelected suits in Brussels to regulate us and make our policies.

I admire your trust and faith in the UK government, but it comes to no surprise that I have my doubts. If we exit, and we are on our own, do you think we have any bargaining power to influence good deals with other countries? If so, I'm interest to hear how?

The reality is, other countries will take advantage of this situation. I'm sure you have read about the chlorinated chicken coming our way as part of the US trade deal. Sadly, this is just a taster of what is to come.

You are confused about barriers with Europe. The EU is not Europe, we will still trade and share knowledge eg Science with out friends in Europe after any type of brexit.

Nonsense - you do not know that. It will need to be renegotiated. It doesn't look good keeping those partnerships under a no-deal.

https://sciencebusiness.net/news/state-come-how-brexit-will-affect-uk-science

We voted Brexit to stop the rot from Brussels and yes, prosper with a new and exciting future in a richer country free of EU control, free to make our own trade deals and do much better than those overpaid wastes of space in brussels having saved a fortune in EU contributions.

Again, like I said before: EU has many flaws, but it's better to correct them from the inside. However, they have many more benefits than flaws. I do think you are overestimating our individual power at the world stage. UK is not what it was in the past, and it's very dangerous having this false confidence.

You obviously have short memory. Before the referendum it was made clear time and time again, it was your once in a generation chance to have your say, once we are out, we are out. That's it. No going back... for a very long time. Well, they are incapable of even letting us leave and respecting the referendum. You can't have another one.

Just because David Cameron said this, doesn't make it binding. The campaign was announced for selfish reasons, rushed and riddled with lies. It was a farce, filled with sensationalist propaganda. There is no way people had an informed opinion about remaining or leaving. Now, over 3 years later, people are beginning to understand what happened and what is about to happen.

It's not like remain are wanting to bin the result altogether. Another democratic vote is the only sensible option at this stage. Brexiters are extremely worried about having this second referendum, as there's a good chance it will undermine their 'majority' vote.

Nigel Farage never said anything of the sort about another referendum straight away.

Well, yes he did.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

HOLA443

Everything you say especially about no deal is the same broken record we have had since 2016  - complete pure scaremongering and you have fallen for it, ie chlorinated chicken. What do you wash your vegetables in? Tap water. What is in tapwater. Chlorine. What is in swimming pools? It kills bacteria.  You are the same kind of person who believes that the USA want to privatise our NHS. Typical Guardian and Mirror reader, those papers print lies every day.

The peace in Europe you talk about is not thanks to the formation of the EU, it is down to NATO. The EU will end up causing war with its own members and with non EU countries, if it doesn't hopefully collapse before then when it loses a large part of its main funding  - the UK.

You repeat the same untrue mantra of all typical remainers who can't accept the democratic vote. People weren't informed, didn't know what they were voting for. Total BS. We all knew the facts, the only thing that has changed in 3 years is a relentless campaign of bitching from people like yourself & brainwashing to try to confuse the public and the use of a corrupt speaker and going to the courts to stop government functioning. Plus the EU further showing themselves up to be so insulting to the British that even people who voted remain now want out. Plus corrupt MPs pretending they are taking us out, when in reality they would like us to stay in eg May, Hammond, Letwin

I could pick your post apart further but I really haven't got the time to argue with the braindead. There is a whole bitching thread about brexit here, I suggest you stick to talking rubbish on there.

Edited by bear.getting.old

HOLA444
1 hour ago, bear.getting.old said:

Everything you say especially about no deal is the same broken record we have had since 2016  - complete pure scaremongering and you have fallen for it, ie chlorinated chicken. What do you wash your vegetables in? Tap water. What is in tapwater. Chlorine. What is in swimming pools? It kills bacteria.  You are the same kind of person who believes that the USA want to privatise our NHS. Typical Guardian and Mirror reader, those papers print lies every day.

It's not necessarily about consuming chlorine, it's about it being used as a hygiene standard. It's a practice that has been banned in the EU for two decades, because they declared it is not hygienic enough. I suggest you take some time and watch of the following Dispatches programme:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/on-demand/68769-001

The peace in Europe you talk about is not thanks to the formation of the EU, it is down to NATO. The EU will end up causing war with its own members and with non EU countries, if it doesn't hopefully collapse before then when it loses a large part of its main funding  - the UK.

NATO helps, sure. Especially on outside interference. However stability within Europe is primarily thanks to the EU unity.

You repeat the same untrue mantra of all typical remainers who can't accept the democratic vote. People weren't informed, didn't know what they were voting for. Total BS. We all knew the facts, the only thing that has changed in 3 years is a relentless campaign of bitching from people like yourself & brainwashing to try to confuse the public and the use of a corrupt speaker and going to the courts to stop government functioning. Plus the EU further showing themselves up to be so insulting to the British that even people who voted remain now want out.

I can see you're the type of person that will shout loudest in a debate, without actually listening to the other side. It's a first for me being accused of brainwashing though. I encourage anyone to do their own research, instead of just blindly believing anything I say. Shame you think that way, or, it could actually just be your default response to someone speaking sense against your rambling.

Plus corrupt MPs pretending they are taking us out, when in reality they would like us to stay in eg May, Hammond, Letwin

Talking to the wrong person to defend the likes of May and Hammond. But I'll raise you Rees-Mogg and Farage, with Banks roaming around being an upstanding citizen.

I could pick your post apart further but I really haven't got the time to argue with the braindead. There is a whole bitching thread about brexit here, I suggest you stick to talking rubbish on there.

Nice one, more name calling. That will surely better your argument now.

HOLA445

Guys this is a forum to discuss House Prices, particularly those in Northern Ireland. Whilst I am interested on opinions on the possible impact Brexit may have on house prices we do not need to hear the whole debate on Brexit here. There are many other forums specifically set up for such.

• 1 month later...
HOLA446

Have seen a manor that I am interested in. Spoke to mortgage people today and they have reported back that business is unusually busy for this time of year with 4 times the number of callers than normally occurs at the end of December. Apparently up until last Friday mortgage applications were unusually slow, but took a jump after the Tory landslide. Hopefully this doesn't lead to a jump in prices.

HOLA447

This is bound to result in a boom for the NI economy with effectively dual EU/UK status for NI - though if as I suspect the UK as a whole eventually gets pretty much full access to the EU market the dual status will be moot.

Increased economic prosperity = higher house prices (unless interest rates go up of course).

HOLA448
14 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

This is bound to result in a boom for the NI economy with effectively dual EU/UK status for NI - though if as I suspect the UK as a whole eventually gets pretty much full access to the EU market the dual status will be moot.

Increased economic prosperity = higher house prices (unless interest rates go up of course).

Reading today NI was actually in recession last year. Some strange counter signals in the economy. 

HOLA449
On 18/12/2019 at 19:02, jwrag said:

Have seen a manor that I am interested in. Spoke to mortgage people today and they have reported back that business is unusually busy for this time of year with 4 times the number of callers than normally occurs at the end of December. Apparently up until last Friday mortgage applications were unusually slow, but took a jump after the Tory landslide. Hopefully this doesn't lead to a jump in prices.

****** sake.

I'm just going to have to buy something in the new year then, before I'm priced out forever.