House Price Crash Forum
disenfranchised

Parliamentary snouts in the property trough

At a guess, none of the current parties? 

The main parties seem to think they will be back to business as usual after swerving or fudging our EU exit, but I hope it will actually start to change the political landscape a bit. UKIP were the only new party to make any meaningful impact on UK politics since the Labour movement nearly a century ago, before the immigration issue drove UKIP/Brexit to the fore, politics had become unbelievably stale and complacent.

The point with London accommodation for MPs was that they could then get to work when Parliament is sitting?

That the properties used to accommodate them where ever in their own name is the mistake.

When consulting in London (every day, every month, with 'normal' 21 days A/L per year) I was expected to commute in from wherever I lived.

I 'get' that (in some folks' opinion) MPs work really hard and so shouldn't be "subject" to commute like everyone else - and, more importantly, MPs for constituents further across the country must hold the same standing and have the same opportunities in Parliament.

But why were those properties not owned and managed by Parliament itself (as a public-owned company)?

43 minutes ago, thewig said:

Scumbags. Who do I vote for to stop this?

Vote for the party that suggests all MPs will - whilst Parliament is sitting and in London - live within the Palace of Westminter itself, with the other rats ...?

I would, and anyone working in Parliament (in non-political roles) would welcome the removal of the rats from Westminster. Ah, no, wait ... *some* of the rats anyway.

20 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I would pay them the minimum wage, that would put paid to the current crop of career politicians.

I'm not sure what's best, but if the pay is very low, it's more likely that people with a source of wealth will enter politics. That's arguably bad in itself, but is probably likely to be particularly bad for housing, as these people tend to have a significant proportion of their wealth in land and property.

Also, I think career politicians are better than what might be called springboard politicians, who want to use a stint in politics to get rich somewhere else.

There should definitely be much tougher penalties for any kind of wrongdoing though (paying back all salary, getting zero pension etc.)

Edited by Kosmin
Added last paragraph

1 hour ago, Kosmin said:

Also, I think career politicians are better than what might be called springboard politicians, who want to use a stint in politics to get rich somewhere else.

George Osborne to a T.

Applied for a full time journalism role, failed, became a freelancer.

Got a job behind the scenes of the Selfservatives via old school the contacts.

Got selected.

Got elected.

Lied a lot.

Resigned.

Became Editor of the Evening Standard and got a very part time job with BlackRock for £650k a year.

I'm sure we all remember the backbench former ministers cash for access scandal too...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-the-british-mps-who-earned-more-than-7m-outside-of-parliament-in-2014-10066802.html

44 minutes ago, disenfranchised said:

George Osborne to a T.

Applied for a full time journalism role, failed, became a freelancer.

Got a job behind the scenes of the Selfservatives via old school the contacts.

Got selected.

Got elected.

Lied a lot.

Resigned.

Became Editor of the Evening Standard and got a very part time job with BlackRock for £650k a year.

I'm sure we all remember the backbench former ministers cash for access scandal too...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-the-british-mps-who-earned-more-than-7m-outside-of-parliament-in-2014-10066802.html

The firm who said they were best placed to take advantage of Osborne's pension freedom. Where he joined Rupert Harrison his main advisor, who joined slightly before Osborne

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/01/06/rupert-harrison-no-sense-due-recession-soon/