House Price Crash Forum
crazypabs

new electrical safety certificates add extra costs to landlords

Paul Kwiatkowski

20 July 2018 09:05 AM

More rent increases coming,I just cannot absorb any more costs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neither can the tenants. suck it upski. 😄

The usual approach is EICR at change of tenancy anyway as you never know if some div has been messing around with the installation. 

GN3 already states 10 years maximum period so we're talking an extra 300 quid every 5 years assuming a straight pass after initial EICR

6 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Why not every house? People must be protected against themselves :rolleyes:.

It's a class system

Homeowners = upper class - rules don't apply to them.

Renters = middle class - need to be protected because they pay all the bills.

Housing associations (council stock) = working class - nobody cares if they burn to death, they are a burden on society, all on benefits -  so the rules don't apply.

Seriously this whole scheme just looks like a nice little earner for the 'soon to be underemployed' building trade.

33 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

It's a class system

Homeowners = upper class - rules don't apply to them.

Renters = middle class - need to be protected because they pay all the bills.

Housing associations (council stock) = working class - nobody cares if they burn to death, they are a burden on society, all on benefits -  so the rules don't apply.

Seriously this whole scheme just looks like a nice little earner for the 'soon to be underemployed' building trade.

This is true of most such rules, regulations and laws. 

People must be kept alive so they can be sold things that keep people employed. The biggest money spinners currently being the NHS and care homes.

1 hour ago, Habeas Domus said:

In the last big house crash in the early 90's the day rates for builders went from £100 to £50 in a very short period, and that was if they could get work.  I have no idea what the day rates are today but I expect they will start to fall as soon as current projects complete.

2 hours ago, Habeas Domus said:

If you'd seen some of the potentially lethal shit I have, you'd be a touch less cynical. 

Of course cynicism is quite appropriate for most things at the moment so I'm not having a go.  But I have been at 'the coalface' of rental electrics.

Like many of the rules and regulations, the good guys will always comply, there will always be those that do not and have no intention of.......regulations create jobs, so many service jobs, compliance jobs, agency jobs, paperwork, checking, managing, seeing stupid people are doing the right thing......far too many risks for the populace, we need to protect them, they don't know what is good for them.....lets create some more work in case people are hurt, hurt and injured people can't work or pay taxes.;) 

3 hours ago, chronyx said:

If you'd seen some of the potentially lethal shit I have, you'd be a touch less cynical. 

Of course cynicism is quite appropriate for most things at the moment so I'm not having a go.  But I have been at 'the coalface' of rental electrics.

i knew someone who used tinfoil around fuses if they had no spare ones