House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
oatbake

Employers struggling to recruit minimum-wage workers?

Not sure if it's just my imagination but I keep seeing job adverts (and hearing them on the radio) for 'minimum wage' type jobs (working in cafés, supermarkets, care homes etc). Not sure if anybody else is seeing this...

Reading between the lines, it feels like employers are struggling to fill these vacancies. So what's happening? Are workers waking up to the fact that they're working for far too little and demanding more? Is it due to Brexit? Is the economy finding a new gear? Is it all a symptom of increased housing costs? Is anybody else seeing this?

No. Polish have had enough and are going back home. Word from the lips of many - "too many blacks and Muslims now" and "they don't feel safe anymore" (Manchester bombing). Native workers won't work for peanuts (OK for an Eastern EU'er sending money back home for a nice plot of land and 4/5 bed house to be built).

I work for a ink manufacture company in NW England, all the Poles are going, now the Czechs have started too. Good news is pay rises all around and zero hour contracts may die a death.

They can try and put up prices, but you have got to have the people earning the wages or have the income to pay what they are asking, go without, improvise, do things differently...charity shops, food banks......the poor they spoil it for the rich.😉

25 minutes ago, Brendan110_0 said:

No. Polish have had enough and are going back home. Word from the lips of many - "too many blacks and Muslims now" and "they don't feel safe anymore" (Manchester bombing). Native workers won't work for peanuts (OK for an Eastern EU'er sending money back home for a nice plot of land and 4/5 bed house to be built).

I work for a ink manufacture company in NW England, all the Poles are going, now the Czechs have started too. Good news is pay rises all around and zero hour contracts may die a death.

Exchange rate has meant many no longer seevit as viable to cone here.

3 hours ago, Brendan110_0 said:

The Eastern Europeans say we treat non-White’s better than them.

The Eastern European I worked with hated blacks/Muslims and Jews with a vengeance 

But said we were racist for voting Brexit LOL 

Edited by vincent

2 hours ago, vincent said:

The Eastern Europeans say we treat non-White’s better than them.

The Eastern European I worked with hated blacks/Muslims and Jews with a vengeance 

But said we were racist for voting Brexit LOL  

They need to find a place that is so tolerant wet behind the ears that it tolerates intolerance and hypocritical BS like that. *gently blows some magic dust from my palm and whispers: "Unicorn Land".

4 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

They need to find a place that is so tolerant wet behind the ears that it tolerates intolerance and hypocritical BS like that. *gently blows some magic dust from my palm and whispers: "Unicorn Land".

The wealth of the world comes to londinium because it has reputation for being tolerant and liberal 

They could never work that one out, something’s are hidden in plain sight 

7 hours ago, Brendan110_0 said:

They must all be shopping in ruislip lidl in then..... seriously, taking the @TheCountOfNowhere point further. If we believe that many east Europeans were only here to earn a relatively high income for a few years of roughing it, maybe they are cashing in and the natural end is nigh coupled with a falling exchange rate.

Why bother coming to work in the UK for minimum wage... with £1 = €1.13... basically the advantages are disimal.... basically the net gain for a european is 13 cents per hour.... hardly attractive... plus the perks on european intergration is off the table for now. More likely to inverse unless the banks rase the interest rates to attract workers to fill the gap 🤣