House Price Crash Forum

11 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Somebody posted on here recently about a book that explained why most jobs are pointless.

If I remember rightly, my job fell into the category of "duct tape jobs" which is jobs that exist purely to fix problems that should never have been there in the first place (the example they gave was correcting bad coding that never should have been written like that).

My manager oversees an entire team of people like me, none of whom should be needed, but we are actually the vital team that keep the organisation functioning at it's current level of just-about-to-conk-out-creakiness.  If we didn't exist then neither would she so she is a duct-taper to the power of 2.

It's a weird thing to know and much better not to think about at all.

bullshit-jobs-9781501143311_hr.jpg

On 18/08/2018 at 07:46, winkie said:

Would be interested to know your thoughts on the report BU.?

I thought it was excellent. It's fairly accessible. I have no formal economics background so I had to swot up on some of the basics relating to the current account and financial account in the national statistics as these concepts are taken for granted by the author.

Really interesting to see someone make the case that lots of lending has both driven up house prices but also potentially permanently distorted the structure of the economy. As the financial sector grows it gains political strength, which it uses to shift rules so it can lend more, driving prices higher and increasing the size and profits of the financial sector so becomes even more influential, throws off even more regulation and so on. At the same time the outsize financial sector means that the Pound is stronger than it ought to be given the balance of trade in goods and services in the current account which means manufacturers struggle and their power as a lobby decreases and thus the relative political power of the financial sector is even greater.

I think so.... Debt or Credit has been instrumental in making people both feel wealthy and others being wealthy.... Got to get it out there, no debt no spending, no profits, no growth or inflation....debt is of value as long as there is trust in it.... Debt creates the income that should service and repay the debt.... Best paying it back after it has been reduced by the inflation it itself created.... ;)

On 18/08/2018 at 10:53, stop_the_craziness said:

I am extremely productive in my job in the sense that I get a lot done and definitely give my pound of flesh for my wages.

The problem is that the organisation I work for is so completely disorganised and without direction that I could literally do nothing at all and it wouldn't matter a jot.  No one would notice and nothing of any consequence would arise.

This is existentially difficult for me as on the one hand I feel good about being "productive" but I know that all my productivity is meaningless.

Same here.. I have heard many people in the office comment on how lazy and useless all the managers are.. losing contracts all the time.. 

my company care more about box ticking than staff or customers 

On 18/08/2018 at 09:53, stop_the_craziness said:

I am extremely productive in my job in the sense that I get a lot done and definitely give my pound of flesh for my wages.

The problem is that the organisation I work for is so completely disorganised and without direction that I could literally do nothing at all and it wouldn't matter a jot.  No one would notice and nothing of any consequence would arise.

This is existentially difficult for me as on the one hand I feel good about being "productive" but I know that all my productivity is meaningless.

?   Brilliant!         Describes most jobs.........