Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Dorkins

New housing minister = Kit Malthouse

Recommended Posts

With Dominic Raab being promoted to Brexit Secretary that created a vacancy for housing minister which has been filled with Kit Malthouse.

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/markets/sectors/housing/kit-malthouse-named-new-housing-minister-as-circus-continues/10032958.article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_Malthouse

His main connection to property appears to be his previous role as a director of Cannock Developments Ltd so it looks like he may have got the job due to his experience of working in property development. From a quick google it looks like Cannock Developments was involved in commercial property development so I don't think Malthouse has been involved in residential property before. http://www.portalgroup.uk.com/about-us/cannock-group/

On a side note, Raab was in the job for only 7 months. From Twitter:

image.png.9c6af14aeaf324ff19542fecf855e6e1.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

With Dominic Raab being promoted to Brexit Secretary that created a vacancy for housing minister which has been filled with Kit Malthouse.

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/markets/sectors/housing/kit-malthouse-named-new-housing-minister-as-circus-continues/10032958.article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_Malthouse

His main connection to property appears to be his previous role as a director of Cannock Developments Ltd so it looks like he may have got the job due to his experience of working in property development. From a quick google it looks like Cannock Developments was involved in commercial property development so I don't think Malthouse has been involved in residential property before. http://www.portalgroup.uk.com/about-us/cannock-group/

On a side note, Raab was in the job for only 7 months. From Twitter:

image.png.9c6af14aeaf324ff19542fecf855e6e1.png

 

On the link you posted above it says they have a residential property arm called Heyford....

1B0FCBF6-425E-44E7-9015-CE74E3A4295E.jpeg.81b5fde0a98261317abdec04263404d0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SOLZHENITSYN said:

On the link you posted above it says they have a residential property arm called Heyford....

Yes, but I'm not sure he was involved with Heyford. I think there were some mergers/takeovers as the group expanded after he left. I could be wrong, there's only fragments of information on the internet. The only clear information seems to be that the part of the business he was involved in carried out commercial property development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Born 1966.

Privately educated.

I think Liverpool College is a state school: 

Quote

In June 2012, Liverpool College announced that the Secretary of State for Education had accepted their submission to transition the College to Academy status in September 2013 (an academy is an independent school funded directly by central government).

http://www.liverpoolcollege.org.uk/about-us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

I think Liverpool College is a state school: 

http://www.liverpoolcollege.org.uk/about-us

I'm from Liverpool and it was certainly a public aka fee-paying school where the rich kids went in my day. According to Wikipedia, it became an academy in 2013, implying it stopped being a fee paying school then. No worries, fair observation :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Malthouse and Brokenshire. Sounds like a variety act, or a firm of provincial solicitors.

2006ah6208-george-robey-as-a-mayor_custo

 

We've had Brokenshire, now MaltHouse all we need is for the next one to have Market somewhere in his name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, Dorkins said:

With Dominic Raab being promoted to Brexit Secretary

And is already being called Raab C. Brexit in Scotland 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Si1 said:

I'm from Liverpool and it was certainly a public aka fee-paying school where the rich kids went in my day. According to Wikipedia, it became an academy in 2013, implying it stopped being a fee paying school then. No worries, fair observation :)

Fair enough, sounds like it was a private school in Kit Malthouse's day then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this guy is the right person for the job.......when will we get yet another housing minister that will actually not make any difference at all?.......nothing is going to change, far too many vested interests and powerful influences whose prime interest is in making profits for themselves and shareholders......enough low cost quality homes to buy and more importantly to rent for low paid workers without savings is not going to happen anytime soon imo...😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thewig said:

Housing minister job interview 

 

“can you say and spell supply and demand innit bruv?”

“when can you start”

Always the stepping stone to the next job....head down boy.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

I have written or emailed every housing minister for so many years now, Grant Schnapps being the slyest. I now have probably zero interest who the housing minister is now, it is a mickey mouse job where the government have to be seen to be doing something. In reality the importance of that job should be up there with home secretary or Chancellor, but it is no more important than the tea lady that works in No 10 

Again, I have given up faith in politics

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, inbruges said:

I have written or emailed every housing minister for so many years now, Grant Schnapps being the slyest. I now have probably zero interest who the housing minister is now, it is a mickey mouse job where the government have to be seen to be doing something. In reality the importance of that job should be up there with home secretary or Chancellor, but it is no more important than the tea lady that works in No 10 

Again, I have given up faith in politics

Do they give a shit....got bigger and better things to look after?;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On BBC R4 this morning...towing the party line...FTBs being 'helped' by HTB etc etc and other garbage with little intelligent challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wayward said:

On BBC R4 this morning...towing the party line...FTBs being 'helped' by HTB etc etc and other garbage with little intelligent challenge.

Housing minister is seen by PMs as a chance to test out a new minister and by the minister themselves as a stepping stone to a bigger job. All you have to do is show 100% loyalty to the PM and stick to your media training and 12-18 months later you'll either be promoted or sent back to the backbenches. Incentive to actually do anything to improve the UK's housing situation = zero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Housing minister is seen by PMs as a chance to test out a new minister and by the minister themselves as a stepping stone to a bigger job. All you have to do is show 100% loyalty to the PM and stick to your media training and 12-18 months later you'll either be promoted or sent back to the backbenches. Incentive to actually do anything to improve the UK's housing situation = zero.

I'm sure you are right...and yet it is clear housing is the issue that will destroy the Conservatives.  It was the guy from Conservative Home on question time a while back that said the Conservatives faced three key issues...housing, housing and housing.  Admittedly I think that may have been before Brexit but then I think housing was a key issue for many in voting Brexit also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wayward said:

I'm sure you are right...and yet it is clear housing is the issue that will destroy the Conservatives.  It was the guy from Conservative Home on question time a while back that said the Conservatives faced three key issues...housing, housing and housing.  Admittedly I think that may have been before Brexit but then I think housing was a key issue for many in voting Brexit also.

Expressed as a desire for mass immigration to be curtailed, housing was arguably the deciding factor in the referendum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my favourite housing minister in the Blair-Brown-Cameron-May years has been Dominic Raab. He didn't even bother going through the motions, all of his public comments after becoming housing minister were about foreign policy. Fair enough though, if your boss doesn't take the job seriously why should you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Social Justice League said:

The Tories don't want to build decent affordable council houses for the countries citizens, so they are handing the win on a plate to Corbyn and Labour.

They must see this, but obviously don't care.

I think the Conservatives' strategic time horizon is down to a few months now. Don't worry about the 2020s, don't even worry about the rest of this Parliament, just hold the government together until the next recess. Meanwhile, every year another 0.5m comfortably-housed pensioners kick the bucket, taking their poll cards with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 301 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.