HOLA441
  • Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Oh FFS really....... another load of government led projects that will be massively late, cost more than the estimates, will probably not be fit for purpuse and then upkeep will be under funded and will be totally unusuable shortly after

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
9 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Haven't got the generative capacity. Haven't got the charging infrastructure. Haven't got the domestic manufacturers.

Haven't got the means to pay for any of it.

I am sure May would say that we can fund this partly due to BREXIT.  ?

HOLA448
HOLA449
36 minutes ago, ABZ_RVK said:

I am not sure how they are going to manage for people owning electric cars and staying in an apartment?  

They are working on it.  If you can afford the car, the apartment obviously wasn't expensive enough

HOLA4410

A bit more positivity chaps - electric cars are happening whether you like it or not, and we need to start planning. The idea of a dedicated charging point in every new house and lamp post is a good start. There are all sorts of interesting ideas about letting parked cars act as battery storage within the grid (an EV has a couple of powerwall's worth of storage), which could become quite significant when we have hundreds of thousands of them. A bit more local generation (restore solar subsidies maybe), making use of overnight power generation etc. It's not going to happen overnight, or without a few problems along the way, but I for one am looking forward to my first EV - although probably not for another decade.

HOLA4411
6 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

A bit more positivity chaps - electric cars are happening whether you like it or not, and we need to start planning. The idea of a dedicated charging point in every new house and lamp post is a good start. There are all sorts of interesting ideas about letting parked cars act as battery storage within the grid (an EV has a couple of powerwall's worth of storage), which could become quite significant when we have hundreds of thousands of them. A bit more local generation (restore solar subsidies maybe), making use of overnight power generation etc. It's not going to happen overnight, or without a few problems along the way, but I for one am looking forward to my first EV - although probably not for another decade.

Agreed. However, this requires massive investments in infrastructure. Where is the money? 

HOLA4412
53 minutes ago, ABZ_RVK said:

I am not sure how they are going to manage for people owning electric cars and staying in an apartment?  

I think they think that every lampost (or at least every new lamppost) having a charging point goes some way to answering this issue.

Going to be chaos...I have a neighbour who parks on the street, when he leaves for work his wife drives their other car off their driveway and into the on road space into 'his' space to keep it free for him. Another neighbour borrowed someone else's car from the next street and parked it in 'his' space whenever he got the chance just to wind the other guy up. There will be blood on the tarmac if those guys start arguing over something that's actually worth money! 

HOLA4413
52 minutes ago, ABZ_RVK said:

Not just apartments, it's just about unworkable for any property that doesn't have it's own private driveway.

Lamp posts are generally about 30-40 yards apart meaning you can fit 4-5 cars between each one, how are they all going to charge from one lamp post? Cables trailing all along the pavement? Idiot yoofs unplugging them all for a laugh?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
12 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

People in countries like the USA and UK have been programmed for many, many years to equate government/state programs with malign intent and gross inefficiency. It has become dogma and axiom, therefore responses like the ones you see here should coame as no surprise. After all, we don't want to be Venezuela, do we?

HOLA4417
2 minutes ago, nome said:

Not just apartments, it's just about unworkable for any property that doesn't have it's own private driveway.

Lamp posts are generally about 30-40 yards apart meaning you can fit 4-5 cars between each one, how are they all going to charge from one lamp post? Cables trailing all along the pavement? Idiot yoofs unplugging them all for a laugh?

There's going to be a lot to work out in the cities and suburbs for sure, but they are the places that most need EVs, for pollution as much as anything. I can imagine some sort of sockets along the kerb with a smart grid system that recognizes who has plugged in and charges (money) accordingly. We're a long way from the number of EVs that are going to cause issues but we do need to start planning the infrastructure now.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Other measures include plans to install charge points in newly-built homes and lampposts, the launch of a £400 million Charging Infrastructure Investment Fund and a new £40 million program to develop and trial “innovative, low-cost wireless and on-street charging technology.”

Will some of this end up as another taxpayer bung to help builders shift crappier new builds: "Hey, buy a new build on HTB and now you'll also get a charge point for free.". Bonuses all round.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
2 minutes ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

Will some of this end up as another taxpayer bung to help builders shift crappier new builds: "Hey, buy a new build on HTB and now you'll also get a charge point for free.". Bonuses all round.

I guess the Charging point would be an Add on to new house price. You dont get it free. You pay extra if you want it ? just like you pay extra for new floorings. I am sure Builders will make the best use of these new rules. 

HOLA4422
58 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

I've had a Nissan Leaf for four years. It's bloody brilliant.

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, anonguest said:

The takeaway from this is.......expect LOADS more punitive taxation/fines/daily charges/etc for IC based cars.

Think things have got bad for diesel cars? You aint seen nothing yet.

Yes, probably.

Though it is harder to tax me (extra!) for charging my car from energy I have captured myself (well, not me, the solar cells and storage attached to my building).

They will, of course, find a way.

HOLA4424

http://www.muthergrumble.co.uk/issue05/mg0518.htm

Ahh, the white hot heat of technology and state planning.

Its why Peterlee has the HQ of facebook and Apple

' As of March 1971 (the latest figures available) the population of Peterlee was 24,548 and only 1,380 men and 2,252 women had jobs. Unemployment even then was 7.2% - the highest figure for any new town. The Corporation itself, although professing to be concerned at the situation (although businessmen are never really worried by such a state of affairs) hardly helped by deciding to make Peterlee the science centre of the north. In encouraging technologically advanced industry - presumably for prestige reasons - they seemed to want to discourage industries employing large numbers of unskilled and semi-skilled men. Instead huge amounts were spent on large sites employing very few people. IBM spent £0.25 million on a vast computer complex right in the centre of Peterlee employing a mere handful of men. '

HOLA4425
3 hours ago, anonguest said:

The takeaway from this is.......expect LOADS more punitive taxation/fines/daily charges/etc for IC based cars.

Think things have got bad for diesel cars? You aint seen nothing yet.

Yup - it's just an excuse to really whack the tax on hydrocarbon fuelled vehicles and fuel, especially diesels which up until recently were being promoted as the 'eco-friendly' option.

Then whenever electrics start to hit critical mass they'll switch to a 'per mile' system for road tax so as to get their cut from EV owners too.   The GPS tracking will be handy to keep tabs on the movements of the population too.