House Price Crash Forum
rollover

England's staying home

Travel industry misery as holiday prices tumble

England’s progress in the World Cup and the long, hot summer are turning into a disaster for the travel industry. In a desperate bid to get passengers on board, airlines and holiday companies are slashing prices for departures in the coming week.

“This was put down to a combination of the weather, and the World Cup.” Independent

Unbelievable,  they blame it on weather and the World Cup.

For once, perhaps the failure excuse is actually right.  Britain's not quite as miserable as normal, so no need to pay thousands to escape the bleakness for a couple of weeks.

Personally I find it perfectly plausible that people would be staying home due to these factors. It as after all only referring to the coming week...

You need to be careful not find conspiracy and 'fake news' in absolutely everything, rollover; that way paranoia and depression lie.

Since having kids I've taken my foreign holiday at Easter, which cuts some bills by as much as 80%. Recently stayed at a caravan park in StTropez for £220 for 8 days, the summer season price is over £1200...to stay in a caravan!

My only concern is whether it's worth booking holidays for next Easter....given it falls 10 days or so after a potential hard Brexit.....

I reckon you should have to pass an exam on all the lovely places you could have a holiday in the UK before you get a passport.  Joke economy aside, It's not a bad old patch of muck.  It's a shame that so many seem to think that a holiday has to consist of sitting in a sweaty box in the sky for hours to go and shout in English at foreigners.

Our passports expired years ago, I much prefer jumping in the car and driving to some pretty part of our country to getting frisked and herded with the masses while people point guns at you in an airport.

Having said that, the cost of hotels in the UK can often make flying abroad a cheaper option.

24 minutes ago, Maynardgravy said:

There's a joke in there somewhere but I must resist. The thought police will be along.

Bit racist mate?

i have to have an extra long commute due to high house prices, it allows me to save hard.
i have to take frequent holidays to break up the commute.

i dont really want to do anything stressful in my time off, no more travelling, i just do long weekends locally, works out cheaper. 

we live in a beautiful country

5 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

bit childish mate

That's a belter. :lol:

8 hours ago, Tes Tickle said:

I reckon you should have to pass an exam on all the lovely places you could have a holiday in the UK before you get a passport.  Joke economy aside, It's not a bad old patch of muck.  It's a shame that so many seem to think that a holiday has to consist of sitting in a sweaty box in the sky for hours to go and shout in English at foreigners.

Our passports expired years ago, I much prefer jumping in the car and driving to some pretty part of our country to getting frisked and herded with the masses while people point guns at you in an airport.

Having said that, the cost of hotels in the UK can often make flying abroad a cheaper option.

your passports expiring years ago are the reason why you believe old blighty isn't a bad patch of muck.

you need to get out more.

I spend the vast majority of the year outside the country,in other places..have done for the past decade.

, and it is quite clear that most of them have a vibrancy and energy about them that our country has lost(or rather had stolen from it)

Just now, oracle said:

your passports expiring years ago are the reason why you believe old blighty isn't a bad patch of muck.

you need to get out more.

I spend the vast majority of the year outside the country,in other places..have done for the past decade.

, and it is quite clear that most of them have a vibrancy and energy about them that our country has lost(or rather had stolen from it)

as for getting guns pointed at you in airports...grow a pair, this is normal.

when the hotel porters carry pistols and there are blokes on railway station platforms staring at you carrying M16's, then you have a right to be a tad apprehensive.

5 hours ago, thewig said:

Find a joke, do it to death. What do you do?

Ken? Ken Dodd??

I used to work at aseaside theatre that had the living dead of crap variety entertainers 'performing'.

9 hours ago, rollover said:

Unbelievable,  they blame it on weather and the World Cup.

I can kind of believe it, there is nowhere better than the UK in summer when the sun is out, and more so when there is a feel good factor with the Football. I had a holiday on a Greek Island in May because I was gagging for some sun, I will probably have another sun holiday in late Sept or October to get my last fix of sun before winter. But I am looking forward to a great July and August in good old blighty.

8 hours ago, Tes Tickle said:

No need to go abroad.

Just try holidaying in Luton or Bradford.

Do remember to get your jabs.

Fancy trying some borsch? Peterboroughski awaits.