House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kirstieb

Example of everything wrong with landlords

That Paul Barrett guy sounds like a real charmer.."It's a cruel world out there" quoth he - well it certainly is when people such as him choose to make it so.

I do love the 'business not a charity' line, too - as I've yet to come across a UK LL who provides the level of service that a customer paying vast sums of money to a 'business'  has every right to demand - indeed, renting in the UK appears to be the only global business in which 'the customer is always wrong', and the minimum provision  is always the preferred option whilst demanding premium returns.

From the comments.Completely oblivious to the non 'market' interest rate he's been enjoying for ten years.

Completely oblivious to the non 'market' housing benefit propping up retns at the lower end.

Words fail me sometimes.

'Don't have any problem sourcing tenants.

Indeed they come to me pestering for me to let to them!!

I have no problem charging top market rent.

You work very hard to provision your letting property.

You deserve the market rate for that asset.

Time for your poor tenant to recognise it is a cruel world out there and that to afford what he wants where he wants will require resources he can't afford.

So he will have to MOVE to cheaper area

This is the sort of domestic decision any person is forced to make on a daily basis.

Essentially this tenant needs to economically cleanse himself from your property area and move to an area he can afford.

You cannot maintain your business on a sound footing if you do not receive the relevant recompense for your letting property.

Jack his rent up!'

4 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

Time for your poor tenant to recognise it is a cruel world out there and that to afford what he wants where he wants will require resources he can't afford.

This is the sort of domestic decision any person is forced to make on a daily basis.

Essentially this tenant needs to economically cleanse himself from your property area and move to an area he can afford.

You cannot maintain your business on a sound footing if you do not receive the relevant recompense for your letting property.

Jack his rent up!'

I am just aching for the day when rentals become 10 a penny and we can grind people like this into the ground and then twist the knife on their last financial breath. My empathy levels for these people are as close to zero as you could get.

17 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Its a business upto the point where they have to pay taxes like a business and then they cry foul

Spot on. They are businessmen for income purposes and charities for tax purposes.

29 minutes ago, kibuc said:

Spot on. They are businessmen for income purposes and charities for tax purposes.

...and vulnerable investors when it comes to taking on the likes of the West Brom...

It's funny that the owner of the site is straight in with post #1, with no less than a reference to a Death Metal band all but inciting the poster to evict the poor tenant from his home and community. They should just put that on the front cover of the Guardian.

2 hours ago, inbruges said:

I am just aching for the day when rentals become 10 a penny and we can grind people like this into the ground and then twist the knife on their last financial breath. My empathy levels for these people are as close to zero as you could get.

That day is never going to come.

you are right these are very bad peoples

1 hour ago, vincent said:

That day is never going to come.

you are right these are very bad peoples

Don't be so certain, even though my anticipation levels are not that high right now I am only too aware things in life can turn very quickly. I have spoken to many of the old timer tradesmen from the early 1990's , the days of Thatcher, loadsofmoney, yuppies(whatever that stands for). Money was flooding in and the emphasis was on you work hard you do well in Thatchers Britain, then the recession came out of nowhere after leaving the ERM I believe, lads said overnight they went from never having it so good to all the sites shut overnight and were mothballed, and remained that way for a decade. hard to believe that at the end of it people were buying property with credit cards they were so hard to move.

Makes my blood boil, I think he should evict the tenant for the extra 100 pounds a month. I then hope he has a void period long enough to wipe out the profit he'll make setting it at "market rent". 1200 quid, not a big chunk in the grand scheme of things.

And this "market rate" thing they Lee saying, what he actually means is he's had a look on right move and seen that other flats are going for a little bit more and is already dribbling over the increase. 

These people would sell their own granny if someone offered them a bit of cash, doesn't even need to be much in this case. Kick out a tenant who is paying each month, and by the sound of it isn't that bad and risk someone else not paying etc- all for a hundred quid a month. Now I'm not in business myself, but that just seems like bad business to me. 

4 minutes ago, inbruges said:

Don't be so certain, even though my anticipation levels are not that high right now I am only too aware things in life can turn very quickly. I have spoken to many of the old timer tradesmen from the early 1990's , the days of Thatcher, loadsofmoney, yuppies(whatever that stands for). Money was flooding in and the emphasis was on you work hard you do well in Thatchers Britain, then the recession came out of nowhere after leaving the ERM I believe, lads said overnight they went from never having it so good to all the sites shut overnight and were mothballed, and remained that way for a decade. hard to believe that at the end of it people were buying property with credit cards they were so hard to move.

Absolutely, some thing is changing. The sentiment towards these parasites is changing, starting slowly but I can definately feel it. But that's all I have to go on, and I am an optimist

3 minutes ago, kirstieb said:
4 minutes ago, kirstieb said:

Absolutely, some thing is changing. The sentiment towards these parasites is changing, starting slowly but I can definately feel it. But that's all I have to go on, and I am an optimist

Seriously, I hate the business and in many cases hate the people involved as well and for many many reasons, probably the biggest being that they act like Donald Trump when things are good and Joey Essex when they are bad, most have zero business acumen. So often told that feeling hate is destructive, but I disagree, I know using the word is up there with the big C word for how destructive it can be used in the wrong context, this is the perfect use of the word.  BTL and property speculation is a recent phenomenon that removes so much wealth from the people forced to use it, and they are forced in many cases, by using sleight of hand and a financial system that many people cannot get in on the action as well, a parasite and host situation.

4 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

From the comments.Completely oblivious to the non 'market' interest rate he's been enjoying for ten years.

Completely oblivious to the non 'market' housing benefit propping up retns at the lower end.

Words fail me sometimes.

Jack his rent up!'

It’s great when a landlord uses the whole ‘if you can’t afford it then move somewhere else’ line. The same guy who’s borrowed a dump load of money to get into the racket and moans like hell when a tax break is partially removed. If you can’t afford it pal then do something else’ (truth being you never could afford it).

"Essentially this tenant needs to economically cleanse himself from your property area and move to an area he can afford".

I love the term economic cleanse. A while back I saw on poverty later somebody try to to start a thread asking what other business they were all into aside from borrow to let and as far as I am aware there's still not a single reply. Because they have no other skills or business apart from the top of the cv being "got a mortgage on a house". It's not business, these people are not providing anything to the system and are only there to try and extract wealth from others. 

I've seen them asking how they buy garages and parking spaces to rent out and how to use help to buy to get a buy to let. They have zero useful skills. There's a guy in Bristol who pushes  a slushy cart around the centre. I have so much more respect for him and his business skills than those lot

2 hours ago, kirstieb said:

And this "market rate" thing they Lee saying, what he actually means is he's had a look on right move and seen that other flats are going for a little bit more and is already dribbling over the increase. 

You hit the nail on the head.

2 hours ago, inbruges said:

Money was flooding in and the emphasis was on you work hard you do well in Thatchers Britain, then the recession came out of nowhere after leaving the ERM I believe,

The recession began to end when we left the ERM.

15 minutes ago, kirstieb said:

"Essentially this tenant needs to economically cleanse himself from your property area and move to an area he can afford".

Is that hate speech? I think it might be.

17 minutes ago, Will! said:

The recession began to end when we left the ERM.

I might be corrected here, but were we were pegged to the German DM and many people struggled with mortgages and debt, soon as the UK left and looked after their own interests things started to improve?

23 minutes ago, inbruges said:

I might be corrected here, but were we were pegged to the German DM and many people struggled with mortgages and debt, soon as the UK left and looked after their own interests things started to improve?

White Wednesday

It's the landlord's house, why shouldnt he charge the top rent achievable? Anything less is silly, from a business perspective.

Dont hate the player etc.

Ah, just one of the many BTL forums with so many members who survived the credit-crunch and are now, what some call 'prudent landlords'.

Apparently those admitting to selling a property or two are responsible for 'luring/tricking' in their pals recently into BTL themselves - properties other BTLers are selling - who are so 'blameless' for buying another property to rent out as BTLers, to gift to their kid at 21 years of age.

They are all BTLers and each made their adult choice, both those who've been BTL landlords for decades now, and more recent ones.

The banks didn't force them to take BTL mortgages. 

And, for someone calling HPC and sorrow and sympathy for homeowners back when house prices were 50% lower than today, I wouldn't be so quick to be certain of any imminent HPC either, to explain how the BTLers have 'been tricked into it' on HPC forum.

Mossie's diary, day one: I have them fooled. I walk amongst them under a perfect cover.

BTLers made their choice to buy up houses to rent out because they BTL believe it will make them money.

Not because everyone else was doing it.  

They see Generation Rent.  They see a housing crisis and not enough homes.  Where there is a supply crunch, it is reasonable for profit seekers to presume that will mean prices will go up.   

Source (emphasis added)

Mossie's diary after 72 further days: Bleedin Norah, this staying in character BS is a ballache. I'm not sure I can keep it up!

Ah, just one of the many BTL forums with so many members who survived the credit-crunch and are now, what some call 'prudent landlords'.

Apparently those admitting to selling a property or two are responsible for 'luring/tricking' in their pals recently into BTL themselves - properties other BTLers are selling - who are so 'blameless' for buying another property to rent out as BTLers, to gift to their kid at 21 years of age.

They are all BTLers and each made their adult choice, both those who've been BTL landlords for decades now, and more recent ones.

The banks didn't force them to take BTL mortgages. 

And, for someone calling HPC and sorrow and sympathy for homeowners back when house prices were 50% lower than today, I wouldn't be so quick to be certain of any imminent HPC either, to explain how the BTLers have 'been tricked into it' on HPC forum.

Source, emphasis added.

People talking house prices down on HPC won't change the weather and people talking 'em up and offering a little FUD won't make the weather either. Sit back, enjoy the ride. If you have a tidy little leveraged bet on the outcome then either trim your sails or sail confidently into an uncertain future. You can't stop what's coming.