Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
winkie

Young Londoners Leaving

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

The cost of living is housing and rent. Ignore everything else as it's not relevant.

If an unlimited supply of demand is allowed to enter a market then what will happen. Cost of living goes up so you either have to be poor or rich to live there. The domestic population largely sits in the middle, hence this is where we are.

Of course it is the cost of housing, family housing in particular......you know a home where a growing family can live comfortably, two of three kids......for most Londoners this is now way out of their reach.......both to buy and to rent.........if there is no rent to pay or have a large sum of cash money to put down as a deposit with a low interest mortgage London is IMO one of the cheapest places to live in the UK......CT and utilities are often cheaper than most other places in the UK......food can be sourced cheaply, buses are good value and regular.

Don't you think that there are people that move into London who come from all over the UK......many students want to study in London, fresh and exciting, make new friends share rented accommodation even after they find a job........that is where they will stay, sharing rent living like students whilst working......others born in London will be living with parents whilst working..........it is what it is.......no good resenting others for what they have, they are like we all are, part of the system .......... It is the system that is at fault not the people that are trying to live within it.ūüėČ

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, spyguy said:

It s an observed anecdote on my journeys int London, on commuter trains.

There's no assumption about it.

I also have an anecdote for you. Similarly, on my journeys, I see many people of different colour than white and all are working. Additionally, may white people are not British, there are French, Spanish, German and many other nationalities. 

Not two miles where I live there's an estate, full of white British people and very few are positive contributors to the economy.

Like you, there's no assumption about it either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

If an unlimited supply of demand is allowed to enter a market then what will happen. Cost of living goes up so you either have to be poor or rich to live there. The domestic population largely sits in the middle, hence this is where we are.

Don't worry. When London is mostly rich people being waited on by imported transient labour, they'll find a way to ship all the dole-scum off to the Midlands too. Probably class it under Health and Safety.

 

Edited by Parkwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, No One said:

What? White people are being ethnically cleansed now

Yes

Oh dear. Spot the South African immigrant who white fled from his original country and is now petrified because brown people are living nearer to him in London.

Be scared mate, your days are numbered. You're going to end up a minority in Waitrose and they will soon be selling "pap" on the shelves next to the Polish goods. Take to arms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CentrinoDuo said:

I also have an anecdote for you. Similarly, on my journeys, I see many people of different colour than white and all are working. Additionally, may white people are not British, there are French, Spanish, German and many other nationalities. 

Not two miles where I live there's an estate, full of white British people and very few are positive contributors to the economy.

Like you, there's no assumption about it either.

 

Totally agree hence my comments about that both sides twist this debate back to colour - there are grasping scum of all races, indigenous and imported 

which really does genuine recipients of welfare or genuine refugees no favours at all 

Better be off now as rabid IB will be along to some how twist that statement ūüėé

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GregBowman said:

Totally agree hence my comments about that both sides twist this debate back to colour - there are grasping scum of all races, indigenous and imported 

which really does genuine recipients of welfare or genuine refugees no favours at all 

Better be off now as rabid IB will be along to some how twist that statement ūüėé

I'd rather not import anymore grasping scum, irrespective of the indigenous workshy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, monkeyman1974 said:

I'd rather not import anymore grasping scum, irrespective of the indigenous workshy.

Fine, but what about people with wealth from all places including all over the world, are they to be made welcome?......is it better to be good person but a poor person, or not so good but with bags of cash to spend?ūüėČ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, winkie said:

Fine, but what about people with wealth from all places including all over the world, are they to be made welcome?......is it better to be good person but a poor person, or not so good but with bags of cash to spend?ūüėČ

For me this isn't an existential or moral debate about worth; it's a wish not to pay for people who might cause me or my family harm. "Grasping Scum" is a good descriptor of those people, and my comment specifically referred to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, monkeyman1974 said:

For me this isn't an existential or moral debate about worth; it's a wish not to pay for people who might cause me or my family harm. "Grasping Scum" is a good descriptor of those people, and my comment specifically referred to them. 

Do you feel unsafe living in London? you shouldn't do I would say it is one of the safest places to live, far safer than in the days of the blitz and the Irish problems, when a large number of people live in close proximity to each other there will always be confrontation, even football supporters or even the town next door have differences......I am sure there are the people that want to take, take take as much from the system and not put anything back, always has always will be..... perhaps they feel inadequate and useless, some are not very educated and have poor role models to follow, some have mental health issues due to the trauma they may of experienced......everyone has their own story to tell......

There are people that can do you harm or damage, you may never see them and you won't know their names.ūüėČ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, spyguy said:

I rarely see migrants  on the train.

People going to Londo nto work tend to white and British.

People living in London tend to foreign, non white. And not working.

Well it is true in the First Class Carriage of my Surrey Commuter Train.

But perhaps not in Second and on other routes.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, onlooker said:

Immaterial. Grenfell Tower should have been full of high earners benefitting from living close to their high value jobs. But it wasn't. It was full of people entirely dependent on the state.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/06/2018 at 08:25, Castlevania said:

It's not surprising. You can only afford to live in London with a family if a high earner or on benefits. If younger you can houseshare, but by your thirties you'll be fed up with that.

I found this quote in the article quite enlightening.

 

 

Surely people who work should be encouraged to live in London, forcing the productive to leave but not the unproductive is like shooting our economy in the foot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

I'm sorry if facts offend you but you'll find that many of those non white immigrants get support to allow them to live there, many white non immigrants do not; thus those being forced out in an ethnic cleansing (you'll note the part above where less than 50% of the population are white British) are partly being forced to due to the excessive cost of living. Almost everyone I grew up with in London has left due to the cost of living, receiving zero government subsidies to help them, ever. All white British people.

Very sad, state of affairs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, monkeyman1974 said:

I'd rather not import anymore grasping scum, irrespective of the indigenous workshy.

Don’t tell that to CIM more of the same is a good plan !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, monkeyman1974 said:

For me this isn't an existential or moral debate about worth; it's a wish not to pay for people who might cause me or my family harm. "Grasping Scum" is a good descriptor of those people, and my comment specifically referred to them. 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, monkeyman1974 said:

For me this isn't an existential or moral debate about worth; it's a wish not to pay for people who might cause me or my family harm. "Grasping Scum" is a good descriptor of those people, and my comment specifically referred to them. 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry off topic - what are these annoying videos about fb and Boris Johnson doing floating down the page?¬† I can't seem to shut them down easily on my mobile and makes reading this site a right pain¬†ūüėí click on another page and there it is again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not really much of a shock; as others have said it's not ideal to try to raise a family in a two bed flat somewhere inconvenient. So much of the recent new building in London has been flats; hardly any family homes. We look frequently and there's basically nothing you would really want to live in short of a million pounds now, so what's that - a combined salary of the best part of a quarter mil. Sure, some execs, bankers, lawyers, etc. have that. And of course the old money. But you're well into the 1% by that point. I am sure people have always left London to commute, but that's such a daunting prospect, what with the long underinvestment in the rail infrastructure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, winkie said:

Do you feel unsafe living in London?

Depends which bits. There are places in London where even the police are reluctant to go.

Tower Hamlets at night, for instance, would be somewhere to avoid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Errol said:

Depends which bits. There are places in London where even the police are reluctant to go.

Tower Hamlets at night, for instance, would be somewhere to avoid.

Depends, I have worked in so called rough areas never felt threatened, perhaps I looked like I fitted in.ūüėČ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Errol said:

Depends which bits. There are places in London where even the police are reluctant to go.

Tower Hamlets at night, for instance, would be somewhere to avoid.

maybe the outskirts 

round brick lane white chapel  it`s hipster heaven. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Horseradish said:

It's not really much of a shock; as others have said it's not ideal to try to raise a family in a two bed flat somewhere inconvenient. So much of the recent new building in London has been flats; hardly any family homes. We look frequently and there's basically nothing you would really want to live in short of a million pounds now, so what's that - a combined salary of the best part of a quarter mil. Sure, some execs, bankers, lawyers, etc. have that. And of course the old money. But you're well into the 1% by that point. I am sure people have always left London to commute, but that's such a daunting prospect, what with the long underinvestment in the rail infrastructure.

It is even worse than that, some of it has been changing homes to flats.  A colleague sold her parents house (for £1 million allegedly, cost £3k in the 60s) and it is going to become 3 flats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
On 27/06/2018 at 07:52, winkie said:

Well no surprise there then....what else can one do?ūüėȬ†¬†

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jun/27/londons-property-prices-leads-to-exodus-of-early-30s

If those young adults are educated hard workers with no  cash allowances from rich parents or are now the salary elite, then why on earth would you want to stay in London. Zero chance of buying even the worst housing and if you don't fall victim to a knife then your kids should you have them in years to come have a good chance of falling victim to the growing feral scum that are now walking London streets.

It's hard enough in the rest of the UK, but London, no thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Horseradish said:

It's not really much of a shock; as others have said it's not ideal to try to raise a family in a two bed flat somewhere inconvenient. So much of the recent new building in London has been flats; hardly any family homes. We look frequently and there's basically nothing you would really want to live in short of a million pounds now, so what's that - a combined salary of the best part of a quarter mil. Sure, some execs, bankers, lawyers, etc. have that. And of course the old money. But you're well into the 1% by that point. I am sure people have always left London to commute, but that's such a daunting prospect, what with the long underinvestment in the rail infrastructure.

Places in Europe where people raise families in flats the to have, very nearby the flats:

- good size 3+ bedroom flats

- really good public space, leafy promenades with cafes and restaurants, parks etc

 

 

I'm not sure London inner city borough's have that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 396 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.