House Price Crash Forum

Young Londoners Leaving

HOLA441
  • Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

It's not surprising. You can only afford to live in London with a family if a high earner or on benefits. If younger you can houseshare, but by your thirties you'll be fed up with that.

I found this quote in the article quite enlightening.

Stephen Clarke, senior economic analyst at the Resolution Foundation, said: “London has always played a key role in the UK economy. But that role has changed over the last decade and is often misunderstood.

“People assume London’s economy has been running away from the rest of the UK since the financial crisis. But London’s economic growth is purely down to its population explosion, with hospitality replacing banking as the big growth sector in the capital. Sectors that have traditionally powered London’s productivity growth, from finance to IT, are if anything going backwards.

“This shift has been great news for employment. But it means that London, far from racing ahead, has actually been holding the country back on productivity, with troubling consequences for pay and living standards.”

HOLA443

What is a benefit?........help with rent because labour doesn't work, not paying enough to cover housing costs?.......working people in London now are getting help with paying their landlords rent/mortgage.....they can't afford to get a better paid job unless they move.....?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
2 minutes ago, Locke said:

It's one and the same though; people leaving is equivalent to people not coming in.

Nope.

If London is not getting a large number of people in their 20s to slug their guts out for 10 years befor leaving than its fuxxed.

Working Brits are not longer moving to London in their 20s.

Its mainly low earning tax cerditing  EUers and non working whatnots.

HOLA448
33 minutes ago, winkie said:

What is a benefit?........help with rent because labour doesn't work, not paying enough to cover housing costs?.......working people in London now are getting help with paying their landlords rent/mortgage.....they can't afford to get a better paid job unless they move.....?

Immaterial. Grenfell Tower should have been full of high earners benefitting from living close to their high value jobs. But it wasn't. It was full of people entirely dependent on the state.

HOLA449
50 minutes ago, winkie said:

My favourite little fact about London, is that just over half of all households rent. Of those that do rent, less than half pay the rent in full themselves. So over half of all renting households technically can't afford to live there. Or over a quarter of all households.

HOLA4410
36 minutes ago, onlooker said:

Immaterial. Grenfell Tower should have been full of high earners benefitting from living close to their high value jobs. But it wasn't. It was full of people entirely dependent on the state.

Migrants dependent on the state.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
59 minutes ago, onlooker said:

.......so now you are saying there is only a certain type of person to blame for people being unable to work and live in London....I do not agree with that.?

HOLA4413
46 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

My favourite little fact about London, is that just over half of all households rent. Of those that do rent, less than half pay the rent in full themselves. So over half of all renting households technically can't afford to live there. Or over a quarter of all households.

Can very easily believe that......they could afford to live there if either the rents were lower or the wages higher....?

HOLA4414
12 minutes ago, winkie said:

Can very easily believe that......they could afford to live there if either the rents were lower or the wages higher....?

Wages are not going to be higher, because they are controlled by competition at home and from abroad. Rents could only be lower if there was more housing available.

HOLA4415

London continuing it's trend toward being only for the rich, immigrants and commuters. It's getting like a cheesy sci-fi story of two tier society.

Businesses could benefit from moving out to towns/cities with potential for growth. Cut their costs and provide jobs in desirable places. Many people are just waiting for the opportunities to leave.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
40 minutes ago, Parkwell said:

London continuing it's trend toward being only for the rich, immigrants and commuters. It's getting like a cheesy sci-fi story of two tier society.

Businesses could benefit from moving out to towns/cities with potential for growth. Cut their costs and provide jobs in desirable places. Many people are just waiting for the opportunities to leave.

I rarely see migrants  on the train.

People going to Londo nto work tend to white and British.

People living in London tend to foreign, non white. And not working.

HOLA4418

2 hours ago, onlooker said:

Evidence? Links? Or is that just the lazy assumption of a bigot?

HOLA4419
46 minutes ago, onlooker said:

Wages are not going to be higher, because they are controlled by competition at home and from abroad. Rents could only be lower if there was more housing available.

With regard to competition and governments subsidising low wages in comparison to living/housing costs paid by big corporations is part of the reason why more people are leaving....rents can be lower, there so much empty office space available that can be made to house people.....loads of skyscrapers going up..... don't tell me that London requires all this office space.....many more are working from home nowadays, including those working in London.?

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, onlooker said:

I don't agree, its not all about supply.  I think rents would be much lower if there was less government support for high rents and low wages.  If rents were left to the so called 'free market' we would have a very different picture.

HOLA4421
1 minute ago, dougless said:

I don't agree, its not all about supply.  I think rents would be much lower if there was less government support for high rents and low wages.  If rents were left to the so called 'free market' we would have a very different picture.

Agree, rents are kept high to keep the values high....providing an income and growth......easier than working for low pay in an expensive living area??

HOLA4422
23 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I rarely see migrants  on the train.

People going to Londo nto work tend to white and British.

People living in London tend to foreign, non white. And not working.

What a lazy assumption.  I presume you go and speak to them and ascertain their background and circumstances before spouting this nonsense?  If you did you might meet people like my "migrant" fiance and her friends.  None of whom have ever taken any benefits.  Many of which have PhDs and lecture at universities the likes of which I could only dream of being accepted to.

A complete contrast to people I know who are part of "the expat community" overseas.  Dot input to the local economy or society.  Or as you so eloquently put it "And not working."

HOLA4423
4 minutes ago, dougless said:

I doubt there would be widespread falls in rents charged if there was a free market in rents. The poor would not be able to afford to live in London, except in grotty areas at high densities. People on modest to good incomes would be able to rent and buy in parts of London they are currently excluded from. There would be almost instant gentrification of large swathes of London's rental land.

HOLA4424
2 minutes ago, naturals said:

What a lazy assumption.  I presume you go and speak to them and ascertain their background and circumstances before spouting this nonsense?  If you did you might meet people like my "migrant" fiance and her friends.  None of whom have ever taken any benefits.  Many of which have PhDs and lecture at universities the likes of which I could only dream of being accepted to.

A complete contrast to people I know who are part of "the expat community" overseas.  Dot input to the local economy or society.  Or as you so eloquently put it "And not working."

It s an observed anecdote on my journeys int London, on commuter trains.

There's no assumption about it.

HOLA4425