House Price Crash Forum
dougless

How our ongoing recession is reflected in drama.

I am a long time listener to The Archers and one of the things I love about it is that most of the characters are obnoxious; it really is quite entertaining.  Occasionally it seems to latch onto current issues and really run with them.  Currently you have small business' struggling, rural poverty/homelessness, ruthless business types etc.  The rural poverty angle has been stepped up over the last few years as has affordability of housing.  Its good to hear issues like this being aired and used for dramatic effect. The wealthy residents of Ambridge should really watch out as I am sure some of the lower orders are sharpening their pitchforks.

Any other examples of our 'successful economy' being used to good effect in current drama's?

Coming from a rural area, I find the whole rich and poor strange.

The rural rich (farmers) receive the most in benefits (direct + indirect subs).

Funny that.

Sooner thats changed, the better.

If you are going to have farming subs then you need to get people to bid for the subs.

17 minutes ago, No One said:

I agree with you SPy, but in political terms that's suicide.

No its not.

There are fux all farmers.

A farm that used to employ 5-10 people in the 80s now employs a single farmer/owner and a handful of contractors.

Farmers have less political weight then Deliveroo cyclists.

Fold Defra into the DSS.

3 minutes ago, spyguy said:

No its not.

There are fux all farmers.

A farm that used to employ 5-10 people in the 80s now employs a single farmer/owner and a handful of contractors.

Farmers have less political weight then Deliveroo cyclists.

Fold Defra into the DSS.

Well I respect your opinion, but the way I see it panning out is farmers on the beeb crying about going broke and a huge fuss in the commons

what is Fold Defra into the DSS.?

7 minutes ago, No One said:

Well I respect your opinion, but the way I see it panning out is farmers on the beeb crying about going broke and a huge fuss in the commons

what is Fold Defra into the DSS.?

Stop the pretense that Defra is anything but a Dole for the Wolds.

Make the framers queue up down the dole hole, with the other bennies.

2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Stop the pretense that Defra is anything but a Dole for the Wolds.

Make the framers queue up down the dole hole, with the other bennies.

Well, I'm not a politician, least o all in power, so I can't do anything about it.

spyguy makes an interesting point about the level of state subsidy the land owners receive.  I don't think tenant farmers have such a great time.  Although The Archers is set in a rural area, I was more interested in the way issues of inequality are aired in drama's like this.  It could be the age of the script writers and editors that is influencing the story line in The Archers.  Whatever the reasoning, the wealthy (land owning) characters are getting a bit of a well deserved bashing at the moment.

Any other examples of how the fiction of our so called booming economy is being undermined by drama series currently running in the media.

Edited by dougless

Farming is a matter of national security so some effort needs to be made to keep it going.

In the event of a war or even a massive global event (meteorite etc), we would be reliant on our farms.

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Coming from a rural area, I find the whole rich and poor strange.

The rural rich (farmers) receive the most in benefits (direct + indirect subs).

Funny that.

Sooner thats changed, the better.

If you are going to have farming subs then you need to get people to bid for the subs.

I have yet to meet a farmer that does not plead poverty.

And another thing about farmers who I have met plenty, they really are up there as a unique culture compared to the rest of the UK in the way they see and approach life, and usually extremely right wing. Last conversation I had with an amusing though right wing racist farmer was his anger that people who were once strangled at birth because of their poor genes are now allowed to breed on mass.

I seriously put it down with living on their own secluded Islands and not having to care what others think

12 minutes ago, inbruges said:

And another thing about farmers who I have met plenty, they really are up there as a unique culture compared to the rest of the UK in the way they see and approach life, and usually extremely right wing. Last conversation I had with an amusing though right wing racist farmer was his anger that people who were once strangled at birth because of their poor genes are now allowed to breed on mass.

I seriously put it down with living on their own secluded Islands and not having to care what others think

If they breed animals they may get the idea from that.

Nothing wrong with farmers being right wing

that guy may be anutter though

1 hour ago, Errol said:

Farming is a matter of national security so some effort needs to be made to keep it going.

In the event of a war or even a massive global event (meteorite etc), we would be reliant on our farms.

Only if the seaways are blocked.

Atlantic is pretty safe.

The only military threat we face is Russia. And they have no interest west of ukraine.

Besides, the subs are attached to not producing food. Theres a strong  case that letting current land owners go to the wall, youd increase farmer productivity. Farmer land owners are an over protected, under productive, subbed clique. Look at nlands for high farm output.

Had to stop listening to the Archers about 5 years ago, due to concerns with my blood pressure!

I agree about almost all of the characters being completely obnoxious!

Comedians are using it too.

John Bishop once said in a stand up sketch about the HPC of 2008 "I'll just have to live in it (house) now". Can't recall where, might have been Apollo.

On here, just after 6:53 Ed Gamble says "Just because you come from a time when you could buy a house for 10p" (During a discussion about the prices of Freddos).

I'm aware of others but can't think exactly who it was.

Edited by Arpeggio

3 hours ago, inbruges said:

8 out of 10 'farms' I visit have a tennis court.

Must be hard up.

I love the clumsy way the Archers tries to be socially relevant.  When old lady "Aunty Chris" sold her house to a young couple in the village (who could mysteriously afford it even though he's a policeman and she runs a tea shop) the scriptwriters obviously couldn't have her keep all that lovely cash to herself because that would be too true to life's inter-generational inequality.  So she lost it all in a con-man scam.  Hurrah!  Lovely young couple gets house, old lady doesn't make out like a bandit on the back of HPI screwing the next generation.   Goodnight children, sleep tight.

12 hours ago, dougless said:

I am a long time listener to The Archers and one of the things I love about it is that most of the characters are obnoxious; it really is quite entertaining.  Occasionally it seems to latch onto current issues and really run with them.  Currently you have small business' struggling, rural poverty/homelessness, ruthless business types etc.  The rural poverty angle has been stepped up over the last few years as has affordability of housing.  Its good to hear issues like this being aired and used for dramatic effect. The wealthy residents of Ambridge should really watch out as I am sure some of the lower orders are sharpening their pitchforks.

Any other examples of our 'successful economy' being used to good effect in current drama's?

I prefer to watch Jeremy Kyle when round my Mums to bolster my resolve to support any party that is serious about reducing the welfare state

A farmer in my area has recently been in the local paper whinging that he should be entitled to compo for the inconvenience of tourists disturbing his livestock, the cost of having to fence off footpaths etc.

The fact that the tourists are all from the very large and no doubt highly profitable camp/caravan site that HIS FAMILY owns http://penrhynbay.com/  seems to be lost on him.

(Sorry for veering off topic)

Edited by nome

15 hours ago, inbruges said:

British farmers have managed to elevate whingeing to the level of an art form.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/584933/EastEnders-Coronation-Street-house-prices-Dot-Cotton-Tyrone-Dobbs

Eastenders is particularly bad for ignoring the house price issue. According to this article the average house on Albert square is worth £900K, yet all the characters who live there work in newsagents, or garages or as pub staff. In reality the place would be full of merchant bankers by now.

Coronation street apparently should have an average house price of £100k, but even thats high for an area where most of the locals are employed in a sewing factory, or a pub or a taxi office for presumably minimum wage.

The biggest social problem that these soaps contribute to is the normalisation of flatshares/houseshares. It works for the soap because having people under the same roof helps progress storylines, instead of all interaction being at the pub or at a workplace, but in reality its driving social acceptance of three families living under one roof or of the majority of working age characters living in houseshares instead of owning or renting their own home.

16 hours ago, spyguy said:

Besides, the subs are attached to not producing food.

This.

If food is so vital to national security, then why do we need the government to force people to pay for it at gunpoint?

1 hour ago, regprentice said:

social acceptance of three families living under one roof

Honestly, what is wrong with this? Humans are tribal animals. People would probably be happier in general if we lived in groups again.

3 minutes ago, Locke said:

Honestly, what is wrong with this? Humans are tribal animals. People would probably be happier in general if we lived in groups again.

which room can i have then mate, and have you kept a shelf clear in the fridge for my stuff.  

needs must 

4 minutes ago, longgone said:

which room can i have then mate, and have you kept a shelf clear in the fridge for my stuff.  

needs must 

We can schedule an interview for tonight or Thursday at 1830