House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
locky82

Seaside hotspots on the decline. BBC most read.

There’s not much in the article. It’s a Halifax source. Their usual marketing rubbish - they’ve got loads of subjects one being seaside town reviews.

Its more down to banks pullig in their lending.

Few banks do holiday let lending.

2nd homes and holiday lets tend to be lax lending leaking out.

Price falls are due to reverse liqidity as buyers withdraw and find no buyers.

The ups and downs of holiday area are much more extreme than OO - everyone wants to buy a seaside house, then everyone wants to sell out. 

13 hours ago, FabulousSophie said:

Presumably less nice holiday places now also need to fall by 8.2% to compete.

What makes one seaside place better than another.....the homes, the shops and restaurants, the people, the views, the tide.....how much seaweed, sand as opposed to stones there is?😉

7 minutes ago, winkie said:

What makes one seaside place better than another.....the homes, the shops and restaurants, the people, the views, the tide.....how much seaweed, sand as opposed to stones there is?😉

I don't know. I suppose people vote with their wallets (or mortgage accounts) on which they think is the best seaside town. It looks like Sandbanks in Poole wins by that measure; and there is also Rock in Cornwall, which I have a feeling is also is very very very very expensive.

Edited by FabulousSophie

59 minutes ago, winkie said:

I don't think you have to visit too many to know the answer.  Some are just tacky and chavvy - sorry about that word but can't think of another - some are very scenic but full of expensive restaurants and 'foodie' /Boden  types - some are pleasantly in between.  Lyme Regis is one I'd call very pleasantly in between - all sorts of people and not at all up itself, whilst being a pretty little historic town with a sandy beach - though that is on the small side. 

As for Salcombe, stunningly beautiful, but having last visited in December when it was packed, I dread to think what it's like in school summer holidays.  And that's  aside from the eye watering property prices.  

If I were given the cash and told I HAD to spend it on a seaside holiday home, I'd pick Lyme any day. 

1 hour ago, Mrs Bear said:

I don't think you have to visit too many to know the answer.  Some are just tacky and chavvy - sorry about that word but can't think of another - some are very scenic but full of expensive restaurants and 'foodie' /Boden  types - some are pleasantly in between.  Lyme Regis is one I'd call very pleasantly in between - all sorts of people and not at all up itself, whilst being a pretty little historic town with a sandy beach - though that is on the small side. 

As for Salcombe, stunningly beautiful, but having last visited in December when it was packed, I dread to think what it's like in school summer holidays.  And that's  aside from the eye watering property prices.  

If I were given the cash and told I HAD to spend it on a seaside holiday home, I'd pick Lyme any day. 

There are some beautiful beaches all around the united kingdom......but with you with the hyped-up areas, with posh shops, monied people and designer restaurants have not improved areas.....some of the unspoilt quieter shores are so much more appealing, the hidden hotspots......plenty along the Dorset and Devon coastline....the names most would not recognise......keep them under your hat.😉