House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Bloody annoying ads creeping down the page!

Is everybody else  getting them?  Mostly Bloomberg, though I just had a R4 one featuring Boris. 

They creep  down the R hand side of the page, I have to X to get rid, when they creep back and settle above whatever post I'm reading. 

48 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Nope, but I'd never browse without an adblocker.

Quite, tho use noscript, which I guess makes me more paranoid.

2 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

Is everybody else  getting them?  Mostly Bloomberg, though I just had a R4 one featuring Boris. 

They creep  down the R hand side of the page, I have to X to get rid, when they creep back and settle above whatever post I'm reading. 

Sure ads can be annoying, but the odd stationary banner here and there annoys nobody.

The real problem is active content pulled from other domains, domains the host site has NO control over, because THEY DO NOT HOST IT.

I would have no problem with ads hosted by the domain I was visiting, but this mode of delivery no longer exists. Instead developers of this site and others just embed links that causes our browsers to go trawling around the internet, dragging them by the nose to sites we have no desire to visit, and pulling ACTIVE content onto our machines.

The ads you are viewing are evidence of this.

Moreover the ads displayed will be as a consequence of your browser allowing those sites access to your stored cookies. So you are visiting sites you never wanted to visit and sharing your browsing details with those sites.

If, in the real world, you went to the bank, and half way thru, found the bank had invited a local dodgy double glazing salesman to sit in on the meeting, you'd, with good reason, insist that all future meetings be conducted in private. By browsing without script blockers, you are essentially allowing the whole gamut of dodgy salesmen in on your meeting, except with the internet, they won't just be local, but international. Does that really sit well with you?

OK, so can anyone very  kindly  tell me how to install blockers on the iPad?  (I've got another of the buggers as I'm typing this!) 

I don't mind banner ads but the 'creepers' are v annoying and intrusive. 

I went onto a news site yesterday and it immediately said to turn off my ad blocker if I wanted to use the site, so I did and immediately a huge banner ad, blocking half of the news text, which I couldn't get rid of appeared, so I gave it up as a waste of time.

Another handy Firefox add-on is overlay remover, which can sometimes work to clear off the "turn off your adblocker" message. Element hiding rules can sometimes work in removing them too, but sometimes just stuff it up completely. After that I usually give up and look elsewhere.

I do love the hypocrisy of some people when it comes to complaining about adblockers. They accuse people who use them of freeloading, because it prevents them from freeloading off an advertiser. Do they really think the type of people who use an adblocker will be the type who'll respond positively to an advert? But as long as they get their little bit of money for showing it they couldn't care less.

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

Another handy Firefox add-on is overlay remover, which can sometimes work to clear off the "turn off your adblocker" message. Element hiding rules can sometimes work in removing them too, but sometimes just stuff it up completely. After that I usually give up and look elsewhere.

I do love the hypocrisy of some people when it comes to complaining about adblockers. They accuse people who use them of freeloading, because it prevents them from freeloading off an advertiser. Do they really think the type of people who use an adblocker will be the type who'll respond positively to an advert? But as long as they get their little bit of money for showing it they couldn't care less.

Thanks for the tip. I use Chrome browser and have found an extension called "BehindTheOverlay". Let's hope it works.

Edit: It does, brilliant, it zapped the "turn off your adblocker" message on the first newspaper site I tried it on :D.

11 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Sometimes the page won't scroll properly after that, but maybe that's a Firefox thing and it works better with Chrome.

Yes, not perfect but it often works. Much better than nothing :).

4 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Another handy Firefox add-on is overlay remover, .

I'm cagey about add-ons and try to limit my use, but this sounds worth the risk / hassle, esp for general browsing machines. How long have you been using it may I ask?

4 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

I'm cagey about add-ons and try to limit my use, but this sounds worth the risk / hassle, esp for general browsing machines. How long have you been using it may I ask?

A year or two I think, I've a rather hazy memory for time. It sometimes screws things up but you can always disable it, and in any case the version I've got doesn't store what you removed so if it messes things up you can always reload and try again. I couldn't recall the name from work earlier (they block addons, but I'd got in Adblock Plus before they started that), but it's Behind the Overlay Revival I've got here.

10 hours ago, Riedquat said:

A year or two I think, I've a rather hazy memory for time. It sometimes screws things up but you can always disable it, and in any case the version I've got doesn't store what you removed so if it messes things up you can always reload and try again. I couldn't recall the name from work earlier (they block addons, but I'd got in Adblock Plus before they started that), but it's Behind the Overlay Revival I've got here.

Cheers. Really appreciate that.

20 hours ago, winkie said:

always ignore any adds......never see them, never click on the known or the unknown or the known unknowns.;)

It's a bit difficult to ignore the ones that  crawl down the page and get in the way of what you're trying to read!   And which you then have to X to get them to crawl back again! 

1 hour ago, Mrs Bear said:

It's a bit difficult to ignore the ones that  crawl down the page and get in the way of what you're trying to read!   And which you then have to X to get them to crawl back again! 

I log out and just remember not to use that site again.....pain in the proverbial.;)

1 hour ago, winkie said:

I log out and just remember not to use that site again.....pain in the proverbial.;)

I meant the ones on this site!  

Haven't had them anywhere else.  Evidently you're not getting them. 

3 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

No I don't get moving down the page adds on this site.....there is a gap with an add once in a while, quickly bypass over it....never clicked or taken any interest so really don't know who it is or what it is about ....par for the course, irritating interludes.;)

On 21/06/2018 at 15:48, Riedquat said:

I do love the hypocrisy of some people when it comes to complaining about adblockers.

It's almost as if it is our moral duty to see their ads. Advertisers forget that any on-line commercial activity was once considered beyond the pale (the reason why naive early-adopting fools like me never made a fortune ) . Now they seem to think the internet was made for them.

On 22/06/2018 at 16:19, Mrs Bear said:

Have you sorted it?.....if not make a search your system for example: android adblocker app.... three or four should be available......read the reviews, download read the terms and privacy......if happy tick box......will block out trackers, popups and adds on most sites.......bliss🙌

Yes, I am getting the annoying (moving target) video insert screen. Tried to close it and kept missing so ended up looking at some sort of clothes website! Argh! Like clay pigeon shooting?