House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

School Public Address Systems

It's a warm and humid day, so it's nice to have the windows open. The problem here however, is that the wind is in the wrong quarter, and the local school has purchased a public address system, which they are using liberally.

I don't know about you, but I prefer peace to being well informed about how well Sammy throws his clay on the potting wheel. And I prefer quiet to hearing how brilliantly Josh has coded the back-face-culling in his latest computer game offering. Moreover, I'd take tranquility every day over being told about Matt's success with integral calculus.

But of course none of these events are actually being broadcast to the wider community. How could you even imagine such a thing?

On no, that honour is reserved for one thing and one thing only: bl00dy sport. 1000m, 800m, 400m, 200m, 100m, long jump, high jump, triple jump ...

These guys think they are hosting London 2012, and, what's more, they are completely convinced that the whole area needs to know about it.

The arrogance of PE teachers!

At times like these I like to recall that quote from School of Rock: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach PE."

Seems like the fashion of PA use in American schools have come over here* .

* from what I've seen in school scenes in The Simpsons and Family Guy.

I've just moved to a flat next to a school and I haven't heard any PA systems on my days off from work.

Oh f**k! You've got me thinking; although I mocked the idea of PA system use for anything other than sport, our schools' appetite for all things all American must mean it is only a matter of time before we are subjected to open-air high-school-like graduation ceremonies, with, wait for it, the mandatory valedictorian speech.

Please, somebody shoot me now!