Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest

Peterborough Ditch murderer Joanna Dennehy, on TV last night

Recommended Posts

Guest

Caught this on TV last night.

 

I have have been interested in this case for a while, more so because I have friends in Peterborough and know the area, and have always been interested in one of the victims, the "innocent" landlord Kevin Lee. Actually all the victims have a story to tell in modern Britain and how some live today, and though this was an extreme case of living with the wrong landlord this story is not a one off in how a lot of people are living under the control of people who should not be landlords in my opinion.

Kevin Lee(now murdered landlord) was always portrayed as an innocent jolly type rouge flash party goer  who never deserved what he got. He had a number of properties and who is not to say that he treated everyone else in the same way where Joanna Dennehy lived in one of his properties where the victims also lived. There was always something I did not like about this Kevin Lee landlord character, and watching this program last night it turned out he met Dennehy and moved her into one of his properties rent free with payments in the bedroom so to speak. She moved in with the other tenants and totally took over the place using the authority of knowing landlord Lee. I found it particularly sad hearing about one of the tenants who was ex forces who had hit hard times, more so when his wife left him and he hit the bottle and was also struggling to make the rent monthly. 

Kevin Lee started using the aggressive Dennehy to intimidate tenants who were playing up or behind with the rent, this is something I have not heard before until last night, who then went onto murder violently John Chapman the poor ex forces guy and later a young Polish guy and Kevin Lee himself. I know this event was extreme, but what was not extreme was these type of unfit landlords that now plague  the UK and the tenants who  have to live under the rules of these various dodgy characters with various weird rules and regulations. I know BTL/HMO landlords and they range from thick hairdressers to nasty little villains who you would not mess with. There was a time where people lived in regulated property controlled by the council, and to be fair many tenants took liberties with the council and the fact that they could get away with anything just about, well decades later the solution seems to have been to have the lower end of the food chain live renting off the new breed of landlord  and let them worry about collecting the rent and protecting the properties they own.

This was a policy decided by someone decades ago as they were selling off the council stock, they never had any intention of replacing the stock, only the system to one of millions of individual little Hitlers who don't take the same nonsense the council once took, and that's how we ended up with landlords like kevin Lee. I just think of poor John Chapman who in the last weeks was cowering behind a locked door in the same property owned by a landlord giving the OK to the nutcase Dennehy to intimidate him, what a grim way to end. Do I feel much sympathy for murdered landlord Kevin Lee, No, not really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I make no comment on this case - I know nothing about it - but it's worth remembering how many of us jumped on the "of course he's guilty, he's a landlord" bandwagon with regard to Chris Jefferies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
5 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

I make no comment on this case - I know nothing about it - but it's worth remembering how many of us jumped on the "of course he's guilty, he's a landlord" bandwagon with regard to Chris Jefferies.

There is no bandwagon, Kevin Lee has been reported as nothing but a victim since these murders took place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad and horrendous as the outcome is, a lot of the detail were glossed over:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/683634/Sunderland-rape-murder-trial-handymen-stephen-unwin-william-mcfal-vietnamese-quyen-ngoc

The headline is a Vietnamese mother coming to the UK to hel her sister run a nailbar.

Why the fuk? Thats a pure tax credit/salvery play by he Vietnamese.

'Ms Nguyen, who was less than 5ft tall, had come to the UK in 2010.

She helped her sister run a nail salon in Gateshead but there was also a “secret” element of her life.

She is believed to have rented properties to people who did not have the correct immigration documents. Some properties were also used to cultivate cannabis.

Unwin had met her through his job and appeared to have gained her trust, Mr Hill said.'

Bascially, the woman killed was modern day slaver.

She did not hire the ex cons are handyman. Theyd have been hired as enforcers to scae the slaves in the dope farms and nail bars.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
53 minutes ago, spyguy said:

She is believed to have rented properties to people who did not have the correct immigration documents. Some properties were also used to cultivate cannabis.

I know of plenty of properties in Cambridge and the Fens that are used for cash paying multi occupancy that would probably break dozens of health and safety rules used by Polish doing a few months work, return home for a while and then back again. All of them probably having at least double the people these houses should have.

It's not as grim as it sounds in most cases, ones I have met are friendly organised hardworking types that have cracking homes back in Poland, a small price to pay for a great future. I quite like watching them cook and chatting and having a few drinks, it's not a million miles away from barrack room life with all the banter. It's the British run ones that concern me, more so when they are housing the weaker members of society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, inbruges said:

I know of plenty of properties in Cambridge and the Fens that are used for cash paying multi occupancy that would probably break dozens of health and safety rules used by Polish doing a few months work, return home for a while and then back again. All of them probably having at least double the people these houses should have.

It's not as grim as it sounds in most cases, ones I have met are friendly organised hardworking types that have cracking homes back in Poland, a small price to pay for a great future. I quite like watching them cook and chatting and having a few drinks, it's not a million miles away from barrack room life with all the banter. It's the British run ones that concern me, more so when they are housing the weaker members of society.

Why don't you report them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, inbruges said:

I know of plenty of properties in Cambridge and the Fens that are used for cash paying multi occupancy that would probably break dozens of health and safety rules used by Polish doing a few months work, return home for a while and then back again. All of them probably having at least double the people these houses should have.

It's not as grim as it sounds in most cases, ones I have met are friendly organised hardworking types that have cracking homes back in Poland, a small price to pay for a great future. I quite like watching them cook and chatting and having a few drinks, it's not a million miles away from barrack room life with all the banter. It's the British run ones that concern me, more so when they are housing the weaker members of society.

Me too! (in Tooting). New lot next door now (I'd like to see the LL sexually harass them like he did the last tennents). My only real objection is their terrible taste in euro-pop.

That aside, it's always struck me that the wage-issue with genuine migrants is overblown, whereas the impact of temporary economic 'migration' is underestimated. Long term migrants will need to pay the same prices as the locals in the end; the short-term poles can cram 'em for a few months, and return home with the proceeds - enforcing wage arbitrage on us, and inflation on the rest of the Poles. And people wonder why Corbyn is ambivalent about the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

Why don't you report them?

To whom and for what purpose? nothing will be done as they would become the councils responsibility. Its my understanding in most of these cases its the fire service that acts (if anyone does).

We seem to now be passing through the Rackman phase of housing poverty, next stop, Dickensian - not that it will actually stop of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oki said:

To whom and for what purpose? nothing will be done as they would become the councils responsibility. Its my understanding in most of these cases its the fire service that acts (if anyone does).

We seem to now be passing through the Rackman phase of housing poverty, next stop, Dickensian - not that it will actually stop of course.

I'm not sure it will get as bad as Dickensian - remember, universal male suffrage wasn't introduced until 1918, and the main reason for exclusion before that was - you guessed it - not owning property.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 hour ago, Oki said:

To whom and for what purpose? nothing will be done as they would become the councils responsibility. Its my understanding in most of these cases its the fire service that acts (if anyone does).

We seem to now be passing through the Rackman phase of housing poverty, next stop, Dickensian - not that it will actually stop of course.

I choose to just ignore the comment.

In my lifetime I have reported blatantly obvious drug dealers, and please don't tell me crime never pays, sometimes it does very well. I started a strong local campaign on mortgage self certs and was on BBC 5 live a couple of times, and gave HMRC several names anonymously, preferred my legs unbroken, you are just wasting your time.

Another thing I have found in my elder years that if you want crimes dealt with that involve mass wealth and asset protection, then just forget it. I fully understand these days why the likes of Saville did what he did for so long, the exposure of so many MP's from the past and I bet there are so many more. You might pull it off by reporting someone, but you have to be like a dog with a bone and very very careful of your safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 minute ago, tomandlu said:

I'm not sure it will get as bad as Dickensian - remember, universal male suffrage wasn't introduced until 1918, and the main reason for exclusion before that was - you guessed it - not owning property.

I am not saying there was ever a perfect time and no corruption. But I do get the feeling that the post WW2 years were a time of innocence and high moral values, at least among the working and middle classes. I remember a lovely moment several years ago while chatting to some men in their 70's sea fishing at Southwold. They were bantering and insulting each other like the good mates they were. I then mentioned that I might get some beach casting gear myself off ebay and learn to relax in life a little more. One of the men "Ohhh you don't want to that", I thought he was going to say something like you might get bad equipment or something. He then said to me "A lot of that stuff is stolen don't you know", true or not the idea of using someones stolen gear was morally repugnant to this chap.

I read H E bates Darling Buds of May in the 1950's  and think that life would have been just perfick for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, inbruges said:

I am not saying there was ever a perfect time and no corruption. But I do get the feeling that the post WW2 years were a time of innocence and high moral values, at least among the working and middle classes. I remember a lovely moment several years ago while chatting to some men in their 70's sea fishing at Southwold. They were bantering and insulting each other like the good mates they were. I then mentioned that I might get some beach casting gear myself off ebay and learn to relax in life a little more. One of the men "Ohhh you don't want to that", I thought he was going to say something like you might get bad equipment or something. He then said to me "A lot of that stuff is stolen don't you know", true or not the idea of using someones stolen gear was morally repugnant to this chap.

I read H E bates Darling Buds of May in the 1950's  and think that life would have been just perfick for me.

I'm not sure of that (and I don't think Darling Buds is meant to be a documentary, is it?*).

Things I'm fairly sure I don't miss:

  • The deference to class and power
  • The sexism
  • The racism
  • The censorship

Was there less dishonesty? I'm fairly sure that most people still think using stolen goods is wrong, and they're fairly easy to avoid on ebay - just don't by certain classes of goods (i.e. the easily nickable ones - fishing stuff, bikes, golf clubs, tools, etc.) from non-established sellers.

* although I do remember reading an interview with the family who inspired the Larkins (iirc)

Edited by tomandlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, inbruges said:

I am not saying there was ever a perfect time and no corruption. But I do get the feeling that the post WW2 years were a time of innocence and high moral values, at least among the working and middle classes. I remember a lovely moment several years ago while chatting to some men in their 70's sea fishing at Southwold. They were bantering and insulting each other like the good mates they were. I then mentioned that I might get some beach casting gear myself off ebay and learn to relax in life a little more. One of the men "Ohhh you don't want to that", I thought he was going to say something like you might get bad equipment or something. He then said to me "A lot of that stuff is stolen don't you know", true or not the idea of using someones stolen gear was morally repugnant to this chap.

I read H E bates Darling Buds of May in the 1950's  and think that life would have been just perfick for me.

Maybe WW2 killed off some of the disreputables?

Also testosteroned teenagers shipped over the Empire on national service also helped. 

It may have been a time of innocence but more likely ignorance? The likes of Saville and Shipman would probably had more of a field day back then.

Both sides of my family are working class (and poor at that) the stories I’ve heard would suggest high moral values were in short supply. 

Even up to the early 80’s there was low level corruption in public life (god help you if you didn’t tip the dustman at Xmas!).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched one of those trash TV murder programmes about that psychopath Dennehy.

Another thing about the landlord was that when his body was discovered wearing women's undergarments with a 'marital aid' lodged somewhere. I think he was previously having a bit of rough with her, dressed up for the occasion for their next liaison but she and her 7 foot tall neanderthal 'muscle' turned the tables on him and killed him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
24 minutes ago, MattW said:

I watched one of those trash TV murder programmes about that psychopath Dennehy.

Another thing about the landlord was that when his body was discovered wearing women's undergarments with a 'marital aid' lodged somewhere. I think he was previously having a bit of rough with her, dressed up for the occasion for their next liaison but she and her 7 foot tall neanderthal 'muscle' turned the tables on him and killed him.

I could not possibly comment 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 302 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.