House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longgone

The rich really do make me sick

just spent 4 days in ibiza, first time i have been back since i was a teenager in 1996 !.

spotted this extravagant show of wealth moored up in eivissa harbor, apparently this thing makes a regular appearance every year in Ibiza town.

$160m worth of floating showoffiness.

i came back feeling poorer than i already do.

i bet the owner pays less tax than the average tesco employee 

https://www.superyachtfan.com/superyacht_lady_lara.html

18 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Lovely boat, I wish I could afford one like it.

I like this one more... 

hmm looks like a tug boat from a distance though 😄 not pretty.

not as good looking as the lady lara but still a nice boat 

As a land lubber can someone explain to me exactly when does a yacht stop being a boat and become a 'ship'?

Seems these examples are so big they hardly deserve the title 'boat' anymore?

8 minutes ago, anonguest said:

As a land lubber can someone explain to me exactly when does a yacht stop being a boat and become a 'ship'?

Seems these examples are so big they hardly deserve the title 'boat' anymore?

As someone pointed out, "Boaty McBoatface" should have been "Shippy McShipface".

This may help....  https://www.marineinsight.com/types-of-ships/7-differences-between-a-ship-and-a-boat/

This is where I get so frustrated with our very own State Controlled Television (aka Auntie beeb) with their relentless agenda of ''re-educating'' us on all things LGBTT and Feminism, as though these are THE biggest issues facing society today.

When was the last time you saw anything on the BBC highlighting the wealth divide, obscene executive pay, corporate tax avoidance... which are the real issues causing so much division, inequality and hardship in society 

4 minutes ago, nome said:

This is where I get so frustrated with our very own State Controlled Television (aka Auntie beeb) with their relentless agenda of ''re-educating'' us on all things LGBTT and Feminism, as though these are THE biggest issues facing society today.

When was the last time you saw anything on the BBC highlighting the wealth divide, obscene executive pay, corporate tax avoidance... which are the real issues causing so much division, inequality and hardship in society 

Deliberate. Identity politics is the only protest movement tolerated by neoliberalism because it doesn't target the richest/rest of us divide. And therefore promoted to fill the space of more dangerous (for them) ptotest.

4 hours ago, nome said:

do you know how mushrooms are grown ?

I wouldn't get mad at this kind of lavish expenditure. Bear in mind that these ridiculous ships are designed and built by average joes, thus sending that excess wealth back down the socio-economic ladder and back into circulation.

14 minutes ago, Renewed Investor said:

I wouldn't get mad at this kind of lavish expenditure. Bear in mind that these ridiculous ships are designed and built by average joes, thus sending that excess wealth back down the socio-economic ladder and back into circulation.

Do you believe in the concept of 'trickle down'?

Watching Poldark last night and was reminded of an attitude that prevailed amongst the middle classes in my childhood. In Poldark, good is represented by the Poldarks, who are often explicitly referred to as old money. Evil on the other hand, is embodied in the Warleggins (sp?), with George Warleggin bemoaning how the upper classes refuse to accept him because all his wealth is new money.

It is noteworthy that probably all those gin-palaces are owned by new money.

And that is the sad thing about the heroes of the left, ie, the self-made: they are often vulgar,  boastful or downright unsavory. Think Mullins, Sugar and Ashley,

13 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Watching Poldark last night and was reminded of an attitude that prevailed amongst the middle classes in my childhood. In Poldark, good is represented by the Poldarks, who are often explicitly referred to as old money. Evil on the other hand, is embodied in the Warleggins (sp?), with George Warleggin bemoaning how the upper classes refuse to accept him because all his wealth is new money.

It is noteworthy that probably all those gin-palaces are owned by new money.

And that is the sad thing about the heroes of the left, ie, the self-made: they are often vulgar,  boastful or downright unsavory. Think Mullins, Sugar and Ashley,

As a young chap I did some part time work as agency events staff at the Aintree Grand National. It's true, the old money, particularly the blokes, treated us scrotes with respect and kindness, a dozen of us including me even got taken on a full early morning tour of the course by a posh aristocrat race horse owner. Lovely. The new money and most of the wives treated us like dirt.

2 hours ago, Si1 said:

As a young chap I did some part time work as agency events staff at the Aintree Grand National. It's true, the old money, particularly the blokes, treated us scrotes with respect and kindness, a dozen of us including me even got taken on a full early morning tour of the course by a posh aristocrat race horse owner. Lovely. The new money and most of the wives treated us like dirt.

Every year we spend a month in the south of France, home of many superyachts.

Interestingly, uniformed superyacht crews can be very aloof and, rather like some company CEO PAs, consider themselves second in importance only to their boss.

Wandering around Monaco in T-Shirt and jeans, we often get disparaging looks from the (up themselves) superyacht uniformed servants :rolleyes:.

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Interestingly, uniformed superyacht crews can be very aloof and, rather like some company CEO PAs, consider themselves second in importance only to their boss.

Wandering around Monaco in T-Shirt and jeans, we often get disparaging looks from the (up themselves) superyacht uniformed servants :rolleyes:.

glorified secretary, open bosses email and answers phone for him. 

hate them 😄

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

I worked in that general area for 15 months and never even went to Monaco. Plenty of superyachts around Antibes and Cannes though. Anyway it's much more interesting to head into the mountains around there than go down to the coast, some great scenery up in the Mercantour.

My brother came to visit, and caught the train into the mountains and walked back down to the coast over three days, sleeping where he found a spot. Ended up in Monaco to get the train back to my place, heaven knows what they made of him then :)

29 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

I worked in that general area for 15 months and never even went to Monaco. Plenty of superyachts around Antibes and Cannes though. Anyway it's much more interesting to head into the mountains around there than go down to the coast, some great scenery up in the Mercantour.

My brother came to visit, and caught the train into the mountains and walked back down to the coast over three days, sleeping where he found a spot. Ended up in Monaco to get the train back to my place, heaven knows what they made of him then :)

We stay in Antibes, not Monaco, but we do like to drive to Monaco a few times during the GP week.  

22 hours ago, dougless said:

Do you believe in the concept of 'trickle down'?

Well the Business Owners and the workers who built those boats aren't slaves are they? They get paid and that money comes from the Customer in the end.

'Trickle down' was kinda discredited during the 80s, and oligarchs have reinforced that view.

People in the know often say that prosperity (a growing economy) lifts more out of poverty than policy. Personally I believe it is technology that improves lives more than anything else - eventually - which really is an improvement on prosperity, which can come and go with economic cycles.

When anybody mentions 'trickle down', I can't help thinking of that wonderful line from The Outlaw Josey Wales:

There's so much (i.e. there's an amount, not there's a lot). Changes can increase the amount and / or change the distribution of it. Most proponents of trickle down appear to be talking about it in situations where the latter has happened in their favour. Technological change can help increase the amount but it's very questionable about what it does on the distribution front, how its behaved there has varied a lot over time. But broadly speaking I'd say that if you want an increase you need to look to technology and if you want to change distribution it's a fundamentally social issue, although neither is 100% one or the other.

2 hours ago, Riedquat said:

There's so much (i.e. there's an amount, not there's a lot). Changes can increase the amount and / or change the distribution of it. Most proponents of trickle down appear to be talking about it in situations where the latter has happened in their favour. Technological change can help increase the amount but it's very questionable about what it does on the distribution front, how its behaved there has varied a lot over time. But broadly speaking I'd say that if you want an increase you need to look to technology and if you want to change distribution it's a fundamentally social issue, although neither is 100% one or the other.

Sure. When I spoke of change thru tech, I did add "eventually". So most in the West now benefit from farm mechanization / fertilizers, which has led to lower food prices, hence, in theory, there is no reason for food poverty. The fact that society as a whole then chose to bid up house prices with all the food money they saved has of course led to such extortionate rents that folks still wind up in food banks (shame nobody labours the rent bit there).

There are always however, places where tech is still denied to populations, so food poverty still runs riot, but they are the exception and the government's grip has to be vice-like:

1955-03-27-1520-ploughing.jpg

5 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

'Trickle down' was kinda discredited during the 80s, and oligarchs have reinforced that view.

People in the know often say that prosperity (a growing economy) lifts more out of poverty than policy. Personally I believe it is technology that improves lives more than anything else - eventually - which really is an improvement on prosperity, which can come and go with economic cycles.

I'm not sure that the presence of oligarchs proves or disproves anything. You'd need to show the absence of oligarchs makes people wealthier but I'm not sure which oligarchs you refer to. Those that invent technology that improve our lives tend to end up very very wealthy and I don't begrudge them that at all. 

I begrudge rent seekers who have done nothing to earn the enormous wealth that "trickles up" to them.

Richard Cory

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich – yes, richer than a king –
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

Edwin Arlington Robinson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Cory