House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longgone

dangerous drivers

Minding my own business going round a roundabout today some 60+ twonk in an audi 4x4 decides to pull out in front of me, slammed the anchors but did not connect with the imbeciles car by about half a meter. 

now luckily i fitted a dashcam not that long ago so you can clearly see him pull out and the bonnet of my car slam into the ground when i did an emergency stop. I did get his number plate on the recording.

debating whether i should report him, anyone done this and heard anything back from the police ?

4 hours ago, Odakyu-sen said:

If you don't report him, he may kill someone next time. 

maybe.  point was do the police actually do anything don`t fancy a day in court over this moron.

Strange timing coincidence this thread.

Just 2 nights ago I witnessed from upstairs window a neighbour (and wife) from a few doors down the road arrive home late (close to midnight). Park their car on the street. When they got out is was evident to my mind, from their apparent 'staggering', that they were both inebriated - him (the driver) clearly more so than her.

I realise now that I wasted valuable minutes being shocked at the sight and subsequently dithering over whether to call and anonymously report it to plod. I didn't. Feeling rather ashamed of that. It's possible plod may well have done nothing and never turned up to knock on their door but I think I should have called.

IF I see it again the phone will certainly be used.

Report it to the police, you can do it online. You can also state that you have dash cam footage.

Doubt anything will happen. Probably too busy scouring social media for people saying 'mean things' supposed to be so-called 'hate crime'

12 hours ago, longgone said:

maybe.  point was do the police actually do anything don`t fancy a day in court over this moron.

Maybe the police can't/won't do anything when Mr. Idiot's registration and description is reported to them the first time. But after 3 or 4 times, the authorities will start to see a pattern. Moreover, the police will not want to put their pensions at risk if Mr. Idiot kills someone and it comes to light in the inquiry that he had been reported previously on several occasions by different people to the police (who did nothing). It's a very bad look, and great fodder for opposition politicians and journalists. 

This must be the 1984 forum - film your fellow citizens at all times and send it to the police's inbox if they upset you.😄

But after all, it's just the cut & thrust of driving around an overpopulated island with it's roads choking to death.

5 hours ago, frankief said:

This must be the 1984 forum - film your fellow citizens at all times and send it to the police's inbox if they upset you.😄

But after all, it's just the cut & thrust of driving around an overpopulated island with it's roads choking to death.

Quite. 

I do half my driving in France and Spain where it seems to be normal procedure to pull out in front of you causing you to brake. England is becoming the same.

The other day (in France) I was trying to join a busy roundabout and was obviously being too cautious for the car behind me as he started blasting his horn and revving his engine. I was about to get out of my car and walk over to politely ask him if there was a problem (that really gets them going) when a gap appeared and I went. The car behind followed and, with much tyre smoke and squealing overtook me on the roundabout only to come to a halt a few yards later with me behind, applauding :lol:

On 15/06/2018 at 22:22, longgone said:

Minding my own business going round a roundabout today some 60+ twonk in an audi 4x4 decides to pull out in front of me, slammed the anchors but did not connect with the imbeciles car by about half a meter. 

now luckily i fitted a dashcam not that long ago so you can clearly see him pull out and the bonnet of my car slam into the ground when i did an emergency stop. I did get his number plate on the recording.

debating whether i should report him, anyone done this and heard anything back from the police ?

Was it the driver's age, the type of car he was driving or his actions that annoyed you most?

7 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Was it the driver's age, the type of car he was driving or his actions that annoyed you most?

all 3 

although an audi q2 is a 💩car.

his age annoys me as he should know better retest at 60 if you ask me. 

Roundabouts are a typical place that shows drivers incompetence. Had you hit him then its his fault as you are supposed to give way to the right on a roundabout. I think I'd enjoy being a traffic cop if I was one. Getting fu**ers for using their phones while driving etc.

In not a question of "reporting on your fellow citizen who upsets you." Rather it's a matter of "reporting on your fellow citizen who's behavior could kill easily someone." Being upset or offended has nothing to do with it. 

2 hours ago, Odakyu-sen said:

In not a question of "reporting on your fellow citizen who upsets you." Rather it's a matter of "reporting on your fellow citizen who's behavior could kill easily someone." Being upset or offended has nothing to do with it. 

I'd still rather take my chances than go around with a camera recording everyone just in case they're naughty. It's a sad world indeed where fear (of, let's face it, not terribly likely disaster) dominates thinking and behaviour and a constant "you're being watched" bothers people less.

2 hours ago, Riedquat said:

I'd still rather take my chances than go around with a camera recording everyone just in case they're naughty. It's a sad world indeed where fear (of, let's face it, not terribly likely disaster) dominates thinking and behaviour and a constant "you're being watched" bothers people less.

so when someone hits you and it is theit fault but they win in court you would not get upset then.

had you had video evidence you would have won.

27 minutes ago, longgone said:

so when someone hits you and it is theit fault but they win in court you would not get upset then.

had you had video evidence you would have won.

It's not "when", it's "if." There's always been a danger of that. Cameras everywhere is something I find unpleasant (and a lot of vaguely related aspects of the UK today). The situation you describe is something I also find unpleasant. Picking between them, I find the former more unpleasant than the latter, the risk would have to be a lot higher than it is to sway me.

19 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

It's not "when", it's "if." There's always been a danger of that. Cameras everywhere is something I find unpleasant (and a lot of vaguely related aspects of the UK today). The situation you describe is something I also find unpleasant. Picking between them, I find the former more unpleasant than the latter, the risk would have to be a lot higher than it is to sway me.

maybe, but the other cameras arnt going anywhere anytime soon.  

neither are scammers creating accidents, i would happily go along with this guy then role up in court with the footage. 

just so i can smile in the guys face

Don't need cameras, just dumb scammers sometimes. There was one a few years ago near here, where the same guy kept crashing on the same roundabout. It didn't take many for the people in an office overlooking said roundabout to get suspicious and report it.

You can submit the footage to most police forces. Here's Cheshire police's page but other forces operate similar schemes I think. You'll have to google your own. Also you would need to be prepared to attend court.

https://www.cheshire.police.uk/advice-and-support/roads-and-vehicle-safety/submit-dashcam-footage/

It seems to me that for an incident of pulling out on someone a more likely outcome than a prosecution would be a letter of advice from the police; or if the driver is the type to roll over easily they might get sent on the equivalent of a speed awareness course that they run for people who get caught driving carelessly, I forget what it's called now. That would probably be a good outcome, I did a speed awareness course last year and it was much better than I expected, so I daresay the equivalent course for careless drivers is a decent refresher for old gits who've been bimbling around for 30+ years with no training at all in that time.

On 16/06/2018 at 17:24, anonguest said:

Strange timing coincidence this thread.

Just 2 nights ago I witnessed from upstairs window a neighbour (and wife) from a few doors down the road arrive home late (close to midnight). Park their car on the street. When they got out is was evident to my mind, from their apparent 'staggering', that they were both inebriated - him (the driver) clearly more so than her.

I realise now that I wasted valuable minutes being shocked at the sight and subsequently dithering over whether to call and anonymously report it to plod. I didn't. Feeling rather ashamed of that. It's possible plod may well have done nothing and never turned up to knock on their door but I think I should have called.

IF I see it again the phone will certainly be used.

I wouldn't get your hopes up that a prosecution would result. It's hard for the police to prove that someone was drink driving if they don't catch them in the car. If they did decide to go ahead you would definitely be required as a witness and it would be your word against theirs. You could try filming I suppose, but unless you've an amazing camera the quality of night time footage will be poor. And you'll presumably have made a massive enemy of your neighbours a few doors down either way, which may not result in a peaceful future for you. Don't let me stop you of course, I'm just saying.