House Price Crash Forum

FED interest rates UP and QT

BoE stopped FLS/Termfunding (QE for idiots ) and indicating to raise rates ( sometime )

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/974175/ECB-Draghi-central-bank-Quantitative-Easing-EU-eurozone

ECB votes to end Quantitative Easing by December despite Italy chaos

It's coordinated ( or connected if you like ) but it's happening.

Some of the trolls might have enough time to escape bankruptcy, but not many.

If you dont get it now, you never will.

66daph.jpg

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Huh? The fed has been moving up since late 15. Carney has been promising a rise for even longer and the ECB should have stopped QE ages ago! It all seems very uncoordinated. 

But im glad you’re optimistic 👍

Edited by locky82

When will it reach here? We cant hold out forever otherwise global money will just flood into the USA. Glad I just swapped my mortgage product from a lifetime discount off the SVR to a 5 year fix @ 2.29%.  Only cost me an increase of £15 pcm and a £345 fee to take the fix. 

Another .25% rise would have upped my mortgage payments by over £40 so it's a five year hedge against a uk 1/4 percent base rate rise in the next five years. Seemed like a no brainer. 

And the building society has hiked the five year fix rate to 2.44% now last few weeks, phew. 

Can watch the interest rates rise now for a few years without worry and can plan for higher rates ahead of time if they are a lot higher in 2023.

5 minutes ago, markyh said:

When will it reach here? We cant hold out forever otherwise global money will just flood into the USA. Glad I just swapped my mortgage product from a lifetime discount off the SVR to a 5 year fix @ 2.29%.  Only cost me an increase of £15 pcm and a £345 fee to take the fix. 

Another .25% rise would have upped my mortgage payments by over £40 so it's a five year hedge against a uk 1/4 percent base rate rise in the next five years. Seemed like a no brainer. 

And the building society has hiked the five year fix rate to 2.44% now last few weeks, phew. 

Can watch the interest rates rise now for a few years without worry and can plan for higher rates ahead of time if they are a lot higher in 2023.

We can hold out as long as the ECB does. Also with brexit and a trade war v the US on the horizon we may have a while on .5% yet. Which BS was that with? 

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

FED interest rates UP and QT

UK rates will more likely drop to 0.25% before they go up.

If they do go up, it will be 0.75% max at year end, there's too much Government debt for the BOE to raise by much.

1 hour ago, markyh said:

Jeese, we have an advert from a mortgage advisor now.

24 minutes ago, Sperm Donor said:

I hope you are right Count. What I wouldn't give for just a quarter point rise before the Autumn. Interesting about the ECB; about bloody time.

Dont see why you think I would be, i've been wrong for ten years ( bar the collapse of foxton share price and the bankers/givernment being a bunch of lying c**nts and the BrExit result IIRC )

Still, cant be right all the time. ;)

I can see uk petrol prices going up way more than UK interest rates. Same end result mind.

4 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I can see uk petrol prices going up way more than UK interest rates. Same end result mind.

Fuel UP...destroying peoples ability to live....then they reaise IRs...Double Whammy.

Me thinks the turning off the the QE/FLS/Term Fiddling tap is more important here than any IR rise.

It's a shame Carnage wasnt leaving this month

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Fuel UP...destroying peoples ability to live....then they reaise IRs...Double Whammy.

Me thinks the turning off the the QE?/FLS tap is more important here than ny IR rise.

It's a shame Carnage wasnt leaving this month

I think they'll just trash the pound.

4 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I think they'll just trash the pound.

Comes a point when this is no longer desirable for TPTB.

They face social unrest and while a country of 70 million angry people they will have little choice but to act.

Better still, many of the immigrants will just leave, further destroying their faux economy.

They have no where to go but to raise IRs IMHO.

They could do a lot of damage before forced tho.

Who was it had as a sig 'If they raise rates, we're toast and if they don't it's because we're toast'?

I remember many years back this moment was debated when the FED started raising and the BoE would have to follow - would they risk collapsing the housing market/economy or allow a run on the pound?.

I expect we'll find out soon.

4 minutes ago, Kilham said:

I remember many years back this moment was debated when the FED started raising and the BoE would have to follow - would they risk collapsing the housing market/economy or allow a run on the pound?.

What did they decide back then? 

About the same as now, a split between those who thought common sense would prevail and they'd raise with the US and those who realised it was now impossible to raise without a total collapse.

23 minutes ago, Kilham said:

About the same as now, a split between those who thought common sense would prevail and they'd raise with the US and those who realised it was now impossible to raise without a total collapse.

The bit I don't understand... Both UK and USA governments are in debt up to their necks and then some. So are both general populations with cars on tick and maxed credit cards.

So why can Fed raise USA rates no problem but in UK you think same would bring total collapse? 

Because we're not the global reserve currency?. If I buy from China I have to pay in USD, if I buy from Russia it's in USD (always amuses me that one). Other than that buggered if I know, but if not why are we still at 0.5%?.