House Price Crash Forum

Bbc News 24: Appalling Reporting!

HOLA441

I cannot believe the gorm they have!

Nationwide's (no other sources) statistics are on the scrolling headlines, as though this is a major newsbreak, going by every 2 minutes or so, and every now and then there is a report about the "pick up" in house prices for 2006.

Of course, it is presented as GOOD NEWS, but worse still, the advertisement (I can't see it as anything else!) ends with a young female reporter mentioning that ftb's are returning to the market, and urging potential ftb's to "get onto the property ladder now if you can" because house prices will be going up again!

Try watching for a while iif you can, and see if you become as annoyed as I did!

Incidentally, I also saw part of a report about a soldier who was killed in Iraq. Some government croney was being interviewed who used words to the effect of "Iran is killing our soldiers..." Hmmm... can't imagine what the military's next move will be...

HOLA442

I think the BBC continue to report HPI as "good news" because the majority of people in the UK own property. FTBs and STRs (forced or voluntary) are a minority.

My grips against the BBC is that they are biased toward the VIs and EAs. They are not objective or neutral and should declare themselves as a government spokesbody.

HOLA443

Wonder if i saw the same report as you.I got back from Sainsburys about 18:45 flicked on TV and almost immediately there came a report on housing market with BBC reporter interviewing a woman from "Your Mortgage" magazine (Not a vested interest by any means!)

She talked up the housing market giving the usual VI bulls*it spin.No tough questions from the BBC automaton who had everything written down for her i've no doubt.

Anyway it was definitely not news to a Bears ears i can tell you. All rosy and nowhere near as bad as people have been predicting, unexpected rise in prices, market surprisingly picking up after Xmas worries on debt & consumer spending etc etc. I thought i heard her say something about people deciding to get on the housing ladder for fear of missing out again.

Hasn't deflated my confidence though.All my senses and all the data available tell me it's gonna fall and a lot of people are gonna get burnt. I'm trusting my gut instinct and holding off. I think there are people who have moved too soon, more fool them.

A friend at work has been looking into buying a £192 executive shoebox. No amount of talk seems to have any effect. What can you do?

HOLA444

I think the BBC continue to report HPI as "good news" because the majority of people in the UK own property. FTBs and STRs (forced or voluntary) are a minority.

That's a pretty sorry excuse though, black or gay people are in a minority too, maybe the Beeb can justify being nasty to them because the majority "don't care". :angry:

HOLA445

If people keep buying at the old numbers at todays prices the debt burden crushes the economy in a very few years.

a very few.

Are the people of the country so drunk on this fiat economy that they can't see the damage that is happening.

I have to believe that borrowing 6 to 7 times my salary on a very ordinary flat, when I can't expect ever to earn more unless I change my carear.... I know its a bad idea.. not sustainable.

Mervin King has promised me that there will be no surge in inflation..

He has promised that..

any debt you take on will not get smaller..

That is why the BBC now disgust me.

HOLA446

Owning property does not mean HPI inflation is good news! Most people who own property aspire one day to own a better property, HPI just moves that 'better' property out of reach.

HOLA447

i just did a search on BBC news for "house prices"and it brings up 1441 results, thats more than "fuel prices" (1217 results) more than "petrol prices" (463 results) more than "bird flu" (700 results), even "pensions" only just beats it with (1859 results).

I cant understand how the BBC can get away with publishing what is no more than propaganda just to keep the economy afloat. As a first time buyer i got the message 3 years ago that i have been priced out of the market, i dont need a constant reminder every month :angry: