House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steppenpig

Annoying floaty ad

I know i really should get round to installing an ad-blocker, but surely no sane commercially or communitity minded person would thing such an annoying ad was  going do anything but generate negative feedback? "Closing" it makes it drift away, but a few minutes later its back.

(Hopefully I'm not the only one. Using somewhat out of date chromium)

I lasted about 5 minutes this morning; these adverts are extremely annoying.  I came back to post this to register my annoyance and now I am off again.  If this continues I expect traffic to drop significantly on HPC. I am assuming these adverts have been placed by an unholy alliance of Bankers and Estate Agents to keep people away from HPC.

These videos are making it impossible for me to use the site.  They are stopping me from posting somehow.  The pages take ages to load and often fail completely.

Moderators:  please please find some way of blocking those new video ads.  They are completely ruining your website !

10 hours ago, kzb said:

Moderators:  please please find some way of blocking those new video ads.  They are completely ruining your website !

Please!!! I love this site but I've watched it load slower and slower in the last year or so. It hasn't worked on my android phone since you changed something technical around the time GDPr came in last month. Now these floaty ads... 

The advertisers are bleeding money because of all the people using ad blockers - their solution is to invent new even more annoying adverts that slow down your web browser to a crawl. This means more people install ad blockers and the process repeats.

It isnt going to end well. The advertising industry is shooting itself in the face and is too stupid to realise what it's doing.

On 12/06/2018 at 22:51, Let it bake said:

Deeply annoying on iPad safari. 

Is there any way of getting rid of them from iPad safari?  

Just got another of the f***ers while typing this - they're making me resort to very unladylike language.   

this floaty ad pushed me over the edge an I have now installed adblock....

i was tolerating the ads before, but now the site is unusable on my laptop, it slows it to a crawl, so adblock it was.

The floating video thing makes the forum essentially unusable on my phone, it basically covers all the content. On the laptop it's smaller and at the side, so not totally obstructive, just mildly annoying.

I messaged admin. Admin fixed the issue. Admin are my friend!

🤣