House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldbug9999

Local planning meeting, representing the HPC massiv

So I attended a village planning session to discuss a proposed local development - a flyer came though for it about a week ago.

Of the probably 200 people there I was one of only two people to say they didn't object.

Interestingly though a reporter from a local paper wanted to get a quote from me he was interested in the fact that my option was going against the mainstream. I gave him a quote along the lines that people in villages have to be prepared to make some compromises with the aesthetics of where they live in order to help ensure there is good housing for future generations.

Probably wont make any difference to anything but as HPCers we have to get out there and say our piece when the opportunity arises.

Good work goldbug...I write in support on housing scheme applications...someone needs to challenge the prevailing smallminded selfishness...

1 hour ago, goldbug9999 said:

So I attended a village planning session to discuss a proposed local development - a flyer came though for it about a week ago.

Of the probably 200 people there I was one of only two people to say they didn't object.

Interestingly though a reporter from a local paper wanted to get a quote from me he was interested in the fact that my option was going against the mainstream. I gave him a quote along the lines that people in villages have to be prepared to make some compromises with the aesthetics of where they live in order to help ensure there is good housing for future generations.

Probably wont make any difference to anything but as HPCers we have to get out there and say our piece when the opportunity arises.

Excellent work. I did this a few years back and the reception by my peers was one of outright hostility when they realised that my opinion was not the one they shared. I remember one local councillor (Independent) was particularly incensed.

It was the usual collection of silver-haired coffin dodgers determined to make sure that their young were forever priced out of the town.

Mercifully the development went ahead anyway after much (expensive) legal wrangling.

the worst is those who do photo opportunities and have their grandchildren stand in front of them..... where are those children supposed to live? 

Worst side of human greed sadly. That generation wont be missed, what a legacy. 

38 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

That generation wont be missed, what a legacy. 

it's amazing, what are they trying to protect when they'll be dead 5 or 10 years from now?

(my dad's one of them)

58 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

the worst is those who do photo opportunities and have their grandchildren stand in front of them..... where are those children supposed to live? 

Worst side of human greed sadly. That generation wont be missed, what a legacy. 

Totally agree.

40 minutes ago, Si1 said:

it's amazing, what are they trying to protect when they'll be dead 5 or 10 years from now?

(my dad's one of them)

they're trying to protect their entire reality

home-ownership = the only measure of self-worth been deep coded into UK society for decades, you aint gonna undo that sh*t overnight my man

12 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

people in villages have to be prepared to make some compromises with the aesthetics of where they live

I don't think anyone should have the right to dictate by force what other people can do on their own property, but I find it quite awful when these shoddy newbuilds are dumped near lovely historic houses. 

Was the proposed development a crappy one?

I've been involved before where I lived in London, arguing for a very good scheme on some waste land along the river, based on an extensive community consultation by the Prince's Foundation, Prince Charles' charity for the built environment. It was infuriating because the anti-development lobby pretended they were pro-development, as long as the scheme was made to be economically unviable (ie could not be built). The equivalent would be arguing they were not opposed to development of a huge site in central London, provided the developer was only allowed to build a single small bungalow. Their tactics were very dishonest.

53 minutes ago, thewig said:

they're trying to protect their entire reality

home-ownership = the only measure of self-worth been deep coded into UK society for decades, you aint gonna undo that sh*t overnight my man

It's a collective acquired pathological narcissism. The need to infantilise following generations is part and parcel. Again my dad encompasses it very well.

8 hours ago, Locke said:

I don't think anyone should have the right to dictate by force what other people can do on their own property, but I find it quite awful when these shoddy newbuilds are dumped near lovely historic houses. 

Was the proposed development a crappy one?

It is a fairly up market development, the contentious point is that its supposedly 1) in an area of outstanding natural beauty and 2) outside some alleged village boundary that had existed for ... ever

Most of the objections were along the lines of "oh you will be able to see those houses from the historic public right of way that lots of people use" I mean seriously it will have pretty much zero actual impact on anyone, its all about respecting the supposed history of the village and (in my mind at least) fairly trivial aesthetic matters. 

If planning laws were relaxed this wouldn't result in as much building blighting the country as people think because the resulting competition would lower prices of already existing buildings.

10 hours ago, Si1 said:

It's a collective acquired pathological narcissism. The need to infantilise following generations is part and parcel.

It's my house, now I've got one nobody else can build any and if they want mine they have to give me squillions for it so ner.

young-girl-wearing-a-red-dress-and-a-pri

On 11/06/2018 at 21:03, goldbug9999 said:

I did that a couple of years ago. Was the only person in the room to put up my hand in favour.

If looks could kill.

I am moving in a few months to a new area. It isn't easy being the only non-nimby in the village.

15 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

It is a fairly up market development, the contentious point is that its supposedly 1) in an area of outstanding natural beauty and 2) outside some alleged village boundary that had existed for ... ever

Most of the objections were along the lines of "oh you will be able to see those houses from the historic public right of way that lots of people use" I mean seriously it will have pretty much zero actual impact on anyone, its all about respecting the supposed history of the village and (in my mind at least) fairly trivial aesthetic matters. 

That's pretty absurd. If the housing matched the original style, I think it only adds to the area. I would have my doubts though; what developer would use flint or traditional brickwork?

On 11/06/2018 at 21:03, goldbug9999 said:

Sounds similar to a village I used to live in.  No way locals could afford to buy a house and so the average age of the inhabitants was increasing every year.  The high street was slowly dying, as were some parts of village life that had existed for years (cricket club/football club/village school) as the number of people over 18 but under 40 reduced each year.  The lack of families also resulted in the decline of the village shops which were slowly all being converted to tearooms and souvenir shops for the tourist trade (it was a very pretty village).

I attended one meeting where item one on the agenda was a general complaint about the reducing number of shops in the high street and the closure of the bank.

Item two was then everyone being up in arms about a plan to develop 200 family homes on the outskirts of the village.

Out of about 80 people only 2 of us pointed out the links between items 1 & 2 and suggested that the development was a good thing for the village.  The rest muttered about "changing the character" of the village" - these of course mostly being people who'd retired to the village in the last 10 years.

In my experience most of the locals (ie. those with extended family in the village or who were employed by local businesses) were in favour of the development.  Unfortunately the locals seemed to have given up on the Parish Council which was dominated by retired ex public sector types with nothing better to do with their time than hold endless meetings.

Perhaps we should revisit the idea of building new towns/villages rather than bloat existing ones further?

Some very nice villages in East Yorkshire are now unliveable due to the congestion. The infrastructure of many simply not designed to cope with the demands of x households and vehicles etc. However, starting from scratch and planning/building completely new villages around modern day infrastructure demands could work. IMO a much more productive way to carve up the countryside than white elephants such as HS2. Also no NIMBYS to content with, as well there will be no one there.

Yes I’m sure folks will reply with Stevenage and Milton Keynes etc, but it’s 2018 not 1968.